Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2014, 15:30   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Jog travel. Where to Stay?

Had to drop the Aug 15 weekend plans since by the time friends confirmed all hotels and home-stays were booked.

An update on the rates of home-stays and hotel -
Most of the home-stays charge in range of Rs. 2000 per person including food. That means for a double occupancy room you are paying Rs.4000.
Royal Orchid, Shimoga was available for Rs. 3200 per room (double occupancy) inclusive of tax and complimentary breakfast.
Newly opened Jungle lodges - Sharavati adventure camp as mentioned by JLN above was available for ~Rs. 2500 per head (inclusive of all meals).

Anyways, due to non-availablity of rooms in any of the above mentioned places decided to postpone travel plan to 29 AUG weekend.

Plan is as follows -
29 AUG - Start from Bangalore early (~4.30 AM), visit Jog falls and reach home-stay at Thirthahalli.

30 AUG - Around Agumbe
31 AUG - Till morning free, start back to Bangalore after lunch.

Few query :
For Bangalore - Jog which is the best route
1. Chitradurga - NH 13 - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Jog falls.
2. Tumkur - Arsikere - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Jog falls.

For Jog - Theerthahalli which is the best route -
1. Jog - Sagar - Anandapuram -Shimoga - Theerthahalli.
2. Jog - Sagar - Anandapuram - SH 1- Theerthahalli.

Route 2 is shorter, however not sure of the road conditions.
Old 12th August 2014, 19:55   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Few query :
For Bangalore - Jog which is the best route
1. Chitradurga - NH 13 - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Jog falls.
2. Tumkur - Arsikere - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Jog falls.

For Jog - Theerthahalli which is the best route -
1. Jog - Sagar - Anandapuram -Shimoga - Theerthahalli.
2. Jog - Sagar - Anandapuram - SH 1- Theerthahalli.

Route 2 is shorter, however not sure of the road conditions.
Blr-Jog - since you plan to start early, both routes should be fine. If you've tried one earlier, try the other. More 4 laned section on the Chitradurga route. We took Chitradurga route last time on our Malnad trip. By the way Tumkur bypass is a little rough but is manageable. Both routes don't have too many breakfast stop options. If you take Chitradurga route

From Jog when you drive to Tirthahalli via Shimoga, try to stop at Ganajur Dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp, both are on the way from Shimoga to Tirthahalli.

Try to visit at least some of these places - Sibbalagudde, Bheemanakatte by the river Tunga, Kuppali (Kuvempu's house/museum), Kundadri (on the way to Agumbe), Sirimane falls near Sringeri.

Where are you staying at Tirthahalli?

EDIT:The road to Tirthahalli from Shimoga was in good condition in December.

Last edited by NPV : 12th August 2014 at 20:12.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 22:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

From Jog when you drive to Tirthahalli via Shimoga, try to stop at Ganajur Dam and Sakrebylu elephant camp, both are on the way from Shimoga to Tirthahalli.

Try to visit at least some of these places - Sibbalagudde, Bheemanakatte by the river Tunga, Kuppali (Kuvempu's house/museum), Kundadri (on the way to Agumbe), Sirimane falls near Sringeri.

Where are you staying at Tirthahalli?
Thanks for the route update NPV.
Was planning of Kudadri and Kuppali. Other places are new to me, thanks for the same.

Was thinking of Tumkur - Ariskere route since I have taken NH 4 few times, however was worried about the traffic condition on Ariskere route. Guess will take that enroute since we will be starting early.

Almost finalized Hi Point home stay at Thirthahalli.
Old 13th August 2014, 00:56   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the route update NPV.
Was planning of Kudadri and Kuppali. Other places are new to me, thanks for the same.
Jog-Thirthahalli no need to drive via Shimoga. Thats a big detour.

Jog-Anandapuram-Ripponpete-Thirthahalli. Very decent roads as per what I remember.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 20:18   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was thinking of Tumkur - Ariskere route since I have taken NH 4 few times, however was worried about the traffic condition on Ariskere route. Guess will take that enroute since we will be starting early.
NH206 Tumkur-Arsikere route is good except for village traffic especially in the evenings but should be fine for onward journey as you plan to start early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Jog-Thirthahalli no need to drive via Shimoga. Thats a big detour.

Jog-Anandapuram-Ripponpete-Thirthahalli. Very decent roads as per what I remember.
Jog-Anandapuram-Ripponpete-Thirthahalli - Will this route bypass Gajanur Dam and Sakrebylu Elephant camp ?
I thought @suhas would want to visit them as well since he asked about the Shimoga-Tirthahalli road conditions.

Last edited by NPV : 13th August 2014 at 20:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 20:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will this route bypass Gajanur Dam and Sakrebylu Elephant camp ?
I thought @suhas would want to visit them as well since he asked about the Shimoga-Tirthahalli road conditions.
That he should visit them on the way back to Bangalore. Thats the best way. Else he needs to do a big detour.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 17:40   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NH206 Tumkur-Arsikere route is good except for village traffic especially in the evenings but should be fine for onward journey as you plan to start early.
Thanks for the info. Was thinking of taking the route since never tried the same yet. Will take Chitradurga route on way back to avoid village traffic.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That he should visit them on the way back to Bangalore. Thats the best way. Else he needs to do a big detour.
Yes, will visit the places enroute Tirthahalli - Shimoga route on way back. Since we dont have any other plans for that day.
Old 15th August 2014, 17:47   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, will visit the places enroute Tirthahalli - Shimoga route on way back. Since we dont have any other plans for that day.
And the Theerthalli-Shimoga is a driver's delight!

Had posted this in another thread.

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2014 at 17:48.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:17   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Jog- Theerthahalli - Bangalore trip over the weekend.

Roads around Theerthahalli & Agumbe are in good condition. Also Jog- Sagar - Anandnagaram - Ripponpet - Theerthahalli route is in good condition.

I have updated details about road conditions between Shimoga - Bangalore here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 15:27   #55
BHPian

I am thinking of visiting Jog falls in next few weeks anticipating that the reservoir will be full and they will release water to the falls. I checked Mayura and it looks unlikely that I will get a room within next one month. It is difficult to plan for one month, so I am thinking of staying in Sagar or Shimoga and planning it as a day trip to falls. I will be taking family including kids.

Is the Jog falls visitor area very crowded on sundays?
Does Mayura have a restaurant for people not staying there? Any other good lunch options around falls area (with good restroom )
Good place to stay in Sagar and best route from Bangalore - Google suggests going on till Davanagere and then turning west towards Honnali.

Last edited by mohan41 : 9th July 2018 at 15:44.
Old 9th July 2018, 15:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I am thinking of visiting Jog falls in next few weeks anticipating that the reservoir will be full and they will release water to the falls. .
Check out the below post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4423372

There are a few decent options for accommodation at Sagara. Nevertheless it's better to book in advance. It gets a bit crowded on weekends.

Also, it's better to check the latest news on weather and floods on the locations close to Jog before you start from Bangalore. ( I am sure you would be aware of the rains in Karnataka in last few days )
autospeaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 12:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of visiting Jog falls in next few weeks anticipating that the reservoir will be full and they will release water to the falls. I checked Mayura and it looks unlikely that I will get a room within next one month.
There is a newly opened (~3 year back) Jungle lodges and resort property near Jog.

I haven't stayed there, however saw the property details online when I was booking another resort of theirs.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 19:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of visiting Jog falls in next few weeks anticipating that the reservoir will be full and they will release water to the falls. I checked Mayura and it looks unlikely that I will get a room within next one month. It is difficult to plan for one month, so I am thinking of staying in Sagar or Shimoga and planning it as a day trip to falls. I will be taking family including kids.

Is the Jog falls visitor area very crowded on sundays?
Does Mayura have a restaurant for people not staying there? Any other good lunch options around falls area (with good restroom )
Good place to stay in Sagar and best route from Bangalore - Google suggests going on till Davanagere and then turning west towards Honnali.
I have stayed twice in Royal Orchid Shimoga. Prices are good and the place is superb. It's about a 1.5 HR drive from here to Jog. It also serves to reduce the drive from Bangalore to the hotel, so that you drive an hour the next day.

Last edited by deep_bang : 10th July 2018 at 19:50.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 00:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mohan - i just came back last weekend from a trip to Jog and it was a fab sight. Like Suhas said the new JLR property is awesome. That's where I stayed. It's called Sharavathi Adventure Camp. Beautiful rooms with awesome rooms and good food with a trip thrown into Jog. They also have some water sports that you can enjoy. It's about 7-8 km from Jog. You can book online on the JLR portal.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed