Senior - BHPian

Excellant travel and good that you found good hotel

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I feel still they have not renewed the PWD rest house overlooking JOG.

Hotel in sagar is Varadashree. TEL: 08183-228899 as per wikimapia. I have visited this hotel multiple times, its decent and good hotel in that area.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Regards,

Ravi.
Yes Varadashree, i like this hotel... though i found the people working in here having not bothered kind of attitude...but this is a good hotel considering that its close to jog...

But most of the govt officials on visit to jog stay here so sometimes its occupied...
Old 11th August 2008, 20:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Thanks everyone for the info.

We started Saturday morning at 5:30AM and reached Jog by 2:30.

Jog although not at its best is still awesome at this time of the year.

Spent time till 5:30 there and drove back to Shivamogga. We had not done any reservations as this kind of started totally unplanned.

Went to Jewelrock and found that the hotel was full. Searched for an hour and finally found a place in Hotel Samrat Ashok.

This hotel is quite decent and has very good food.The dosas are really great there.

Try this one out if you are planning to visit Jog. I suggest you must because, this is one place you must not miss in the monsoons if you are in Karnataka.

Thanks
Shankar
Good that you made it without any much hassle. Can we expect a travelogue with pictures and details on your trip?
Old 12th August 2008, 20:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Jog is in full glory right now and in couple of days expect water will be released from the linganamakki reservoir so it will be still better.

Please careful while you trekking lot of landslide happenning!!

Rain is expected to calm down from tomorrow so this long week end would be excellant for tourists

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 12th August 2008, 21:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Jog is in full glory right now and in couple of days expect water will be released from the linganamakki reservoir so it will be still better.

Please careful while you trekking lot of landslide happenning!!

Rain is expected to calm down from tomorrow so this long week end would be excellant for tourists

Regards,

Ravi.
Ohh yea you can expect lots of crowd this weekend, in a way not a good idea to be there when its crowded
Old 15th August 2008, 12:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Planning to make a trip to Jog this weekend. My parents are visting and I thought Jog at this time would be a good place as Ravi just said they are going to release some water from Linganmakki..
I want to cover Jog and if possible I want to make a quick trip to Bhadra reservoir too (some wild life excursion if possible)...

If I have got good itinerary, I can leave after lunch now... (actually I should have planned it for fri-sat-sun)...

I have gone thru this thread and have those couple of hotels in mind (vardashree and the one that Shankar stayed)..

I'm going to call JLR and see if I can get RIverTern for a day or something.. can anyone tell me if there is any other option (other than RiverTern lodge by JLR), i have in that area so I can make a Jogfalls trip with parents and then also get max time to sped at Lakkavalli!!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ketan : 15th August 2008 at 12:44.
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Jog travel. Where to Stay?

Planning a ride to Shimoga this Friday. Plan is as follows:

1. Fri - Bangalore to Shimoga. Stay at Jewel Rock. Looked at this option since all reviews say its a decent, cheap place to stay. No couples involved so no great cleanliness required.
2. Sat - ride to Jog Falls or any other nearby places and back to Shimoga for the night. Is Jog falls a good idea? Will there be a good flow of water at this time?
3. Sun - back to Bangalore

Is the best route Bangalore - Tumkur - Gubbi - Tiptur - Arsikere - Badravathi - Shimoga? How are the roads?
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Planning a ride to Shimoga this Friday. Plan is as follows:

1. Fri - Bangalore to Shimoga. Stay at Jewel Rock. Looked at this option since all reviews say its a decent, cheap place to stay. No couples involved so no great cleanliness required.
2. Sat - ride to Jog Falls or any other nearby places and back to Shimoga for the night. Is Jog falls a good idea? Will there be a good flow of water at this time?
3. Sun - back to Bangalore

Is the best route Bangalore - Tumkur - Gubbi - Tiptur - Arsikere - Badravathi - Shimoga? How are the roads?
Naveen,

Yes. Drive to Jog is a good idea but don't expect much water there. If you are driving to Jog, then you should also see following places

a) Beautiful temple at Ikkeri on outskirts of Sagar

b) Bird Sanctuary at Gudavi

c) Excellent Hoysala temples at Shiralakoppa

What you can do is to go to Jog via Sagar and return via Soraba - Shikaripur which will give you chance to see Gudavi and temples at Belligave near Shirala Koppa.

Take a look at post # 18 this link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...und-jog-2.html

Alternately, if you don't want to go to Jog, you can plan a drive to Agumbe via Tirthahalli which will give you a chance to see Gajanur, Mandagadde bird sanctuary, Kundari and Agumbe. The drive will be beautiful during this time.

I heard that cracks have developed on Arsikere route. I would recommend to come via Chitradurga from Shimoga which is excellent. A small deviation at Channagiri will give you an opportunity to see beautiful "Santhebennur honda" at Santhebennur

Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 18:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes. Drive to Jog is a good idea but don't expect much water there......
Alternately, if you don't want to go to Jog, you can plan a drive to Agumbe via Tirthahalli which will give you a chance to see Gajanur, Mandagadde bird sanctuary, Kundari and Agumbe. The drive will be beautiful during this time.

I heard that cracks have developed on Arsikere route. I would recommend to come via Chitradurga from Shimoga which is excellent.
Thanks a lot for the inputs.

If Jog falls is out, I think Agumbe is a good idea. Might just decide to do that.

And also, isn't the Chitradurga route a bit longer??
Old 29th October 2012, 16:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Done. Rode to Shimoga through Chitradurga and back on same route.

Went to Agumbe on Saturday - got a little frustrated with the exceptionally bad roads for a stretch and rode back to Shimoga.
Old 17th September 2013, 00:07   #26
BHPian

Bumping this old thread as I believe my query will be appropriate here.

I'm planning to have a night halt anywhere around Jog falls on my trip from Bangalore to Goa in October. Any recommended homestays close to Jog? Prefer it to be enroute, as I do not want to deviate to Thirthahalli. The idea is to visit Jog and rest peacefully for the night before resuming travel the next day.

Google helped me spot 2 -
1. Matthuga Homestay
2. Jog Homestay(unit of Trailroot)

Any recent experiences/feedback on them would be appreciated. Also would appreciate other recommendations.
Old 17th September 2013, 07:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Any recent experiences/feedback on them would be appreciated. Also would appreciate other recommendations.
If it does not work out, then visit Jog and continue to Shimoga. There are decent city hotels too (Jewel Rock, Royal Orchid etc). You can keep that as an option.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If it does not work out, then visit Jog and continue to Shimoga. There are decent city hotels too (Jewel Rock, Royal Orchid etc). You can keep that as an option.
I looked into that option, and would've worked out well if I was travelling from Goa. Since this is onward from Bangalore, if I hit Jog, I'd have traveled most part of the journey the first day so the next day journey can be done in 4 hours and reach Goa soon!

I just found out that both Jog homestay and Matthuga are one and the same!

But there is one more - Gundimane which is about 20kms from Jog.

Last edited by luvurride : 17th September 2013 at 11:52. Reason: Add more content
Old 17th September 2013, 11:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I looked into that option, and would've worked out well if I was travelling from Goa. Since this is onward from Bangalore, if I hit Jog, I'd have traveled most part of the journey the first day so the next day journey can be done in 4 hours and reach Goa soon!
Sorry. I thought you were on your way back. Hence suggested that option!
Old 25th September 2013, 00:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to have a night halt anywhere around Jog falls on my trip from Bangalore to Goa in October.

Wow! Just found the right thread at the right time! I too am planning on driving to Goa during the first weekend of October and plan to take a detour via Jog to see the place and the ghats thereafter as detailed in this post!

Quote:
The idea is to visit Jog and rest peacefully for the night before resuming travel the next day.
My idea is to reach Jog/Shimoga (since we would be starting late afternoon) spend the night there. See the falls early morning and then take the winding roads to Honnavar onward to Goa.

Any idea of the best route to Jog from Bangalore? What are typical driving times? Also how is the condition of the Jog-Karwar stretch now considering the monsoons?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks