Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:54   #16
BHPian

No worries Fenderbender. I just did this route in beginning December. Your Maruti 800 will just do it fine. Road from Shimla to Manali is not so good but Chandigarh Manali is smooth Tarmac.

Have fun!

P.S. Dont even think of taking it to Rohtang, hire a Taxi for that. I didnt take even my Scorpio there and I am glad.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:24   #17
BHPian

i am also heading for manali on new year in my beast-verna vgt.its already snowing there.great.which towns i will bypass from chandigarh to manali.also getting navigation activated for my n82 phone.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
i am also heading for manali on new year in my beast-verna vgt.its already snowing there.great.which towns i will bypass from chandigarh to manali.also getting navigation activated for my n82 phone.
Where are you coming from - if you are coming from delhi - you can actually bypass chd and go to ropar straightaway...
Old 24th December 2008, 21:26   #19
BHPian

yes i am coming from delhi.please you got me interested,that way i think, may be i will be saving time.can you please elaborate on the route.thanks.
Old 24th December 2008, 22:09   #20
BHPian

actually i will be coming from kanpur U.P.
Old 25th December 2008, 01:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Where are you coming from - if you are coming from delhi - you can actually bypass chd and go to ropar straightaway...
I do the Delhi-manali route often but always end up passing through Chandigarh. Could you let us know how to bypass chandigarh? Also how much time does it save if one were to take the bypass?

Last edited by Astleviz : 25th December 2008 at 01:40.
Old 25th December 2008, 19:15   #22
BHPian

cool info guys,

so it'd take 12-14 hrs from Delhi to Manali? Any good places to stay especially at this time of the year.. 25th dec to 1st jan is usually peak time for hotels...
Old 27th December 2008, 21:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

Doesnt save you much time on the contrary if you take the ambala road right upto the end till sec 38 and then turn right you just might save time. Also if interested you can take a different route from Shahbad(right turnoff about 40kms before Ambala on the NH)-Shahjadpur-Panchkula-Pinjore-Nalagarh-Swarghat-Bilaspur route you may end up seeing a true blue Mountain route, more scenic though road condition on certain patches is doubtful.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 27th December 2008 at 21:53.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Delhi-Shimla-Narkanda

What are the road conditions right now ? whats the best route to avoid any jams between ambala and shimla ?

What about the route to Narkanda through rohru ? is it more scenic ?
Old 4th February 2009, 12:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
What are the road conditions right now ? whats the best route to avoid any jams between ambala and shimla ?

What about the route to Narkanda through rohru ? is it more scenic ?
Been there last week...roads are good, however around Kalka, Pinjore the road gets narrower and you may stuck up in jams...

Move early in the morning and u will sail thru...
Old 13th April 2009, 11:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Route Inquiry for Chandigarh to Manali and back

Hey Guys
I am getting a holiday on the 30th of April and as 1st May is a holiday I am am headed to Manali!!!

I have planned the trip as under
  • 29th Apr(Wed) : Leave Delhi around 5pm and night stay at Chandigarh (my mama's house)
  • 30th Apr(Thurs): Leave Chandigarh for Manali. Stay there for 2 nights 30th Apr & 1st May
  • 2nd May leave Manali towards the afternoon and night stay at Chandigarh
  • 3rd Leave Chandigarh for Delhi
Now I have been to Manali only once and that too 20 years back on bus.

What route should I take for Day II, Chandigarh to Manali and back to Chandigarh on Day 4.
Some have advised me to go via Shimla as the route is very nice and beautiful.

Is it doable in a day. We are 2 couples with my 3 yrs old boy. I dont want to try something which normally people do not do as I do not want to ruin the fun out of a vacation on the 2nd day itself.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

you can go via shimla-narkanda-luhri-jalori pass-aut-kullu-manali

route is time consuming but more scenic.
i would also suggest(in case you can manage the 6km trek to serolskar lake at jalori pass)
Old 13th April 2009, 15:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
What route should I take for Day II, Chandigarh to Manali and back to Chandigarh on Day 4.
Some have advised me to go via Shimla as the route is very nice and beautiful.

Is it doable in a day. We are 2 couples with my 3 yrs old boy. I dont want to try something which normally people do not do as I do not want to ruin the fun out of a vacation on the 2nd day itself.
Since you mentioned that you don't want to take a route which people don't normally take then it's better you take the Chandigarh > Ropar > Anandpur Sahib> Bilaspur Route since that's shorter & more convenient...
Old 13th April 2009, 16:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
you can go via shimla-narkanda-luhri-jalori pass-aut-kullu-manali

route is time consuming but more scenic.
i would also suggest(in case you can manage the 6km trek to serolskar lake at jalori pass)
It will long and tiring route. Almost double the time and you might have to stop at some place.

from Chandigarh head towards Punjab side, from there take the route for Manali as that will be shorter i guess.

I went from there in 2007 when my friends car broke down. Reached in 3 hours flat, though Manali was around 90KM away from there.

You should have seen me drive. It was Fast and Furious in the making. I didn't even slot 4th gear all the way from Chandigarh to Manali.

Or you an take Chandigarh > Pinjore > Nalagarh > Bilaspur > Sundar Nagar > mandi > Bhuntar > Kullu > Manali

I have never been through the above way.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Take the Kalka - Pinjore, Nalagarh, Bilaspur road. The road is as good or bad it gets in India but it is shorter. How about driving further up to Rohtang Jot ?

Last edited by desertfox : 13th April 2009 at 16:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks