Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 09:27   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi - Shimla - Manali : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
After a bit of decent research the best route coming out is:

Gurgaon - KMP - Panipat (via Murthal) - Ambala - Zirakpur - Solan - Shimla - Mashobra/Naldehra
Depending on your car and where you stay in Gurgaon, you should choose entry at KMP. If you live in the newer side, best will be to go to Panchgaon and take KMP. If you must go via old Gurgaon, take Chandu- Farukh road instead of Badli and enter KMP. Don’t go via Badli or Jhajjar that google suggest. At KMP take Rohtak exit instead of going to Rai/ Murthal as Panipat - Murthal is being widened and is a mess. A little before Rohtak, there’s an exit to Panipat. This route, though longer by 15-25 kms is faster and comfortable.

You don’t have to go to Chandigarh, take right from Zirakpur ( under the flyover) and rest as you have mentioned.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:26   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
The route that you have shared is the only one. I did drive to Delhi and came back the same day. While going and coming back I followed the Gurgaon route and did not face traffic though had to be watchful as that route goes through a lot of small villages with a lot of speed-breakers.
I am from Shimla and have to travel to Punjab especially Mohali a lot, because my IN-LAWS live there. Just came back last week and I did not have to register for any App, nor was there anyone checking for COVID.
Now, I may not know if this applies to other Cities too but since you will be coming from Delhi so just before hitting Chandigarh Tribune Chowk (long before that), it will guide to the Shimla Highway Route so from that perspective I think you are set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Depending on your car and where you stay in Gurgaon, you should choose entry at KMP. If you live in the newer side, best will be to go to Panchgaon and take KMP. If you must go via old Gurgaon, take Chandu- Farukh road instead of Badli and enter KMP. Don’t go via Badli or Jhajjar that google suggest. At KMP take Rohtak exit instead of going to Rai/ Murthal as Panipat - Murthal is being widened and is a mess. A little before Rohtak, there’s an exit to Panipat. This route, though longer by 15-25 kms is faster and comfortable.

You don’t have to go to Chandigarh, take right from Zirakpur ( under the flyover) and rest as you have mentioned.
Thank you both for the information and for the heads up on route hurdles.
Yes, the Chandigarh Tribune Chowk is far ahead and I believe we would be on the bypass long before that from Zirakpur and practcally there is no other route to take from there - as Turbanator also suggested.

Turbanator
I do live on the newer side and would be driving the S-cross. On Google maps, you HAVE to cross Badli taking the KMP so a little more help on that would be highly appreciated (sent you a PM).

Particularly interested to know more on this - At KMP take Rohtak exit instead of going to Rai/ Murthal as Panipat - Murthal is being widened and is a mess. A little before Rohtak, there’s an exit to Panipat. This route, though longer by 15-25 kms is faster and comfortable.
Old 18th March 2021, 12:32   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Particularly interested to know more on this - At KMP take Rohtak exit instead of going to Rai/ Murthal as Panipat - Murthal is being widened and is a mess. A little before Rohtak, there’s an exit to Panipat. This route, though longer by 15-25 kms is faster and comfortable.

Use this link, head to Manesar/ Panchgaon. No use of going towards Basai.

From KMP, Rohtak bypass is more like 15-25 minutes and than to Panipat less than an hour on a good day. Whereas Panipat - Murthal road is being widened and at most time is choked more so on weekends

https://goo.gl/maps/adGKhVyQ87mzqPXn6
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:47   #79
BHPian

Hi Guys, what is the current status of roads from Gurgaon to Shimla? any major issues I might have (will be driving a 5th Gen City).
Also, I want to avoid Shimla (to avoid long weekend rush). Which place would be best around Shimla to stay? Plan is to take a family vacation, lookout for nearby picturesque locations to stay and visit, and avoid heavy tourist areas as much as possible.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 07:57   #80
BHPian

Any update on this KMP-Murthal/ Sonipat-Panipat stretch? Whether this portion is accessible and good for a hatchback?

I am scheduled to start at 3-4 AM tomorrow from Gurgaon to Fagu. Badli/ Farukhnagar are near to my place for KMP entry.

After that shall I all the way continue on KMP and exit for Murthal or Rohtak bypass-Gohna-Panipat would be better? Google map is showing some road blocks on NH44. In June I took this KMP-Rohtak bypass-Gohna-Panipat since murthal was blocked due to agitation. Are the roads still blocked/ in bad shape due to construction?
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Any update on this KMP-Murthal/ Sonipat-Panipat stretch? Whether this portion is accessible and good for a hatchback?

I am scheduled to start at 3-4 AM tomorrow from Gurgaon to Fagu. Badli/ Farukhnagar are near to my place for KMP entry.

After that shall I all the way continue on KMP and exit for Murthal or Rohtak bypass-Gohna-Panipat would be better? Google map is showing some road blocks on NH44. In June I took this KMP-Rohtak bypass-Gohna-Panipat since murthal was blocked due to agitation. Are the roads still blocked/ in bad shape due to construction?
Hi, could you update on your experience. I’m planning a trip to kasauli from new gurgaon day after and confused about which route to take. Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 23:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
Hi, could you update on your experience. I’m planning a trip to kasauli from new gurgaon day after and confused about which route to take. Thanks
Yes, you can take the KMP route from New Gurgaon comfortably. We didn't face any problem except dense fog upto Badli and then on KMP. We started by 4 AM on 24th Dec, 2021.

My route was from Basai to Badli (this road has about 50+ speed breakers). Then I took KMP and exit near Sonipat. Stopped at Murthal for early morning breakfast. Rest of the route was usual.
Old 9th April 2022, 07:07   #83
BHPian

Am planning a self-drive 4-day weekend trip from southeast end of Greater Noida (close to EPE) to Shimla in early May. First time to Shimla.

- How is the weather there at that time?
- How good are the roads?
- If we leave at 7 am, how long will the drive take, say with halts cumulating 1-2 hrs in bween?
- Mine is a KA registered car. That wouldn't be a problem, would it?

I was considering travelling anti-clickwise on EPE, then head north on Hwy 44 from Sonipat, then Hwy 152 after Ambala, then Hwy 7 at Zikarpur (Chandigarh outskirts), and finally Hwy 5 after Panchkula, as shown by Google Maps. Sounds good? Anything to watch out for? Any gotchas?

Last edited by vharihar : 9th April 2022 at 07:13.
Old 24th April 2022, 12:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Use this link, head to Manesar/ Panchgaon. No use of going towards Basai.

From KMP, Rohtak bypass is more like 15-25 minutes and than to Panipat less than an hour on a good day. Whereas Panipat - Murthal road is being widened and at most time is choked more so on weekends

https://goo.gl/maps/adGKhVyQ87mzqPXn6
Am planning a drive in my KA-registered car from Delhi to Shimla and back, on a 4-day weekend trip. Are "own vehicles" allowed/recommended there? I read somewhere that in some of these hill stations, the "taxi mafia" disallows "own cars".
Old 24th April 2022, 12:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Am planning a drive in my KA-registered car from Delhi to Shimla and back, on a 4-day weekend trip. Are "own vehicles" allowed/recommended there? I read somewhere that in some of these hill stations, the "taxi mafia" disallows "own cars".
As a Himachali, I can say that there is nothing like - Outside vehicles are not allowed. The Taxi Mafai operates like that everywhere but there are no restrictions.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:09   #86
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to do a week long trip in the first week of June from Delhi to Shimla in Ciaz Automatic as per the following itinerary:

Day 1: Delhi (Vasant Kunj) to Shimla, Start 7am, Breakfast at Murthal, Lunch at Dharampur
Day 2-4: Shimla Local (usual tourist spots)
Day 5: Shimla to Kufri to Narkanda (visit Hatu Temple) to Thanedar
Day 6: Thanedar to Chail via Kufri Chail road
Day 7: Chail to Delhi

Have following questions:

1. What route shall I take from Delhi (Vasant Kunj) to Zirakpur? Google is showing usual Sonipat-Panipat-Kurukshetra-Karnal-Ambala Route. However, I have read comments (few months old) that Delhi to Murthal 4-laning work is ongoing? Is it Done and if not, what would be a better route?

2. What are the options of good fuel stations (preferably COCO) en-route. Would do tank-full in Delhi but I guess would need another couple of refills during the journey.

3. Is Hatu Temple drive doable in a long sedan like Ciaz with three adults and two kids on board?

4. Any other updates about the conditions of the roads on Shimla-Thanedar and Kufri-Chail routes?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2022, 13:14   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Going toward Shimla after a while.
is this the optmal route, or is there some secret new wormhole available ?

Noida-EPE-Sonipat-Karnal-Ambala-Zirakpur-Shimla
Old 15th June 2022, 17:20   #88
BHPian

Just returned from a week long Shimla and around trip. Took the following route:

Delhi-Shimla: Took Delhi-Murthal-Ambala-Zirakpur-Dharampur-Solan-Kandaghat-Shimla route. Awesome roads throughout except some bad patches between Kandaghat and Shimla where road widening work is being done. Route is so tamed now that it looks like an extension of Delhi-Ambala and you don't get feeling of driving in hills.

Shimla-Narkanda-Thanedar: Again awesome roads with few bad patches between Narkanda and Thanedar. Easily doable.

Thanedar-Narkanda-Kufri-Chail-Kandaghat: Last two legs "Kufri to Chail" and "Chail to Kandaghat" will test your hill driving skills. If you are not comfortable driving on narrow, winding roads full of cattle, then it's better to take longer route via Shimla.

OT: Did Kalli Tibba Temple stretch in Chail. You need to be careful on the hair pin bends and while negotiating with traffic coming from the opposite side as road is very narrow. Also, hired a small Alto for doing Hatu Peak stretch in Narkanda and I was glad that I did that instead of taking Ciaz there. Encountered lots of tourist taxis and would have severely bruised my car while navigating incoming traffic.
TSIched'Out is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 11:34   #89
BHPian

Can anyone suggest good hotel with mall proximity in Shimla that has parking? I am seeing several good hotels but they leverage the common public parking and luggage carrying needs porters and ball boys. Exception being Hotel Marina and Baljes Regency who have their own parking but needs good walk of 8-10 mins either level road or stairs to reach mall. Willow banks and Clarkes are very good but have no parking of their own, former is close to lift and parking and later has parking but it takes 85 steps to climb to hotel from parking. The legacy is very good but similar issue with not have parking on premises.
Old 10th December 2022, 00:50   #90
BHPian

Delhi to Manali in winters | Advise for Tiago in Snow?

Have been planning a road trip from Delhi to Manali with a stopover in Chandigarh around Christmas. The idea is to take the Tiago and self drive the route. Is it doable? What would be the advise in terms of precautions, things to carry etc.

We've already bought the essentials - Tyre inflator, Tow rope, jumper cable etc. The idea will be to only drive during the day and spend the nights hopefully chilling in some cool hotels enjoying the scenery

Looking forward to all the veteran advise
izzikio_rage is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks