Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 19:05   #31
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vizag - Tatanagar/Ranchi : Route Queries

I have to drive from Electronic City, Bengaluru to Nellore next week. Could you please let me know if it makes more sense to take the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Chittoor route instead of the usual Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor route?

Will be starting around 8am from Bengaluru.

Last edited by venuvedam : 16th May 2016 at 19:06. Reason: spelling
Old 10th February 2020, 10:44   #32
BHPian

I have to travel to Ranchi from Bangalore in the last week of Feb 2020 to attend a family function.

Seeking inputs from fellow travellers about:

- Route Options
- Road Conditions
- Eateris enroute
- What to avoid

If at all I end up taking Bangalore-Vishakhapatnam-Bhibaneshwar-Ranchi route then I am thinking of starting at around 3 or 4 AM and have the target of reaching Vishakhapatnam same day which is ~1000 KMs from bangalore. Stay overnight at the outskirts of Vishakhapatnam town. So need suggestion about good family hotel/motel.

I would prefer to travel during the day time with a maximim spill over possibility of 1-2 hours in the dark evening. I am just hoping to reach Ranchi by the end of 2nd day i.e. anpther 900+ KMs. Not sure if its doble with family or not.

Any pointers/inputs from fellow bhpian would really be helpful.

Regards
Anupam
Old 10th February 2020, 11:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam1024 View Post
I have to travel to Ranchi from Bangalore in the last week of Feb 2020 to attend a family function.

Seeking inputs from fellow travellers about:

- Road Conditions

Regards
Anupam
I drove from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar on Feb 7-8. I can share the road condition update for Vijayawada - Rajahmundry - Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneswar stretch.

Vijaywada - Rajahmundry

Crossing Vijaywada city can take upto 1.5 hrs if you are crossing during peak traffic hours. There on, highway expansion work is going on and hence, you will encounter lot of diversions and excavation work. This effectively increases the travel time. Highway also has some patch works which means you won't have a very smooth ride.

I covered this stretch between 11PM and 2:30AM.

Rajahmundry - Visakhapatnam
Stick to the highway while crossing Rajahmundry. Road conditions improve but you still get few diversions due to ongoing widening work. Crossing Visakhapatnam can take about 1.5 hrs or more if you go through the city. An alternative is the Anakapalle bypass road - this road is not in very good shape and you will get a lot of truck traffic. You still save some time in this route compared to Vizag city if your are crossing at peak traffic hours.

I crossed this between 6:30AM and 10:30AM.

Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneswar

Frequency of road diversions increases until you reach Berhampur which increase the travel time. Overall road condition is very good. Road traffic discipline goes for a toss until you cross Berhampur. Traffic also increases significantly 50 kms before you enter Bhubaneswar.

I covered this stretch between 10:30AM and 5:30PM.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 20:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drove from Hyderabad to Bhubaneswar on Feb 7-8. I can share the road condition update for

Vijayawada - Rajahmundry - Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneswar stretch....

Vijaywada - Rajahmundry
I covered this stretch between 11PM and 2:30AM.

Rajahmundry - Visakhapatnam
I crossed this between 6:30AM and 10:30AM.

Visakhapatnam - Bhubaneswar
I covered this stretch between 10:30AM and 5:30PM.
Looks like it took about 30 hours to cover the end to end mentioned stretch. Really appreciate the quick reply about the road conditions Ashis89.

Thanks a ton

I may change my mind and am also exploring
Bangalore - Hyderabad - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Jharsuguda - Khunti - Ranchi route

I would welcome any suggestion about this route

Thanks
Anupam
Anupam1024 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 21:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam1024 View Post
Looks like it took about 30 hours to cover the end to end mentioned stretch. Really appreciate the quick reply about the road conditions Ashis89.
From entering Vijaywada to reaching Bhubaneswar took me 18.5 hrs. including 4 hrs. of sleep. So effective travel time (including smaller breaks) was 14.5 hrs.

Also Bhubaneswar to Sambalpur route is under construction and is in a poor condition right now. Sambalpur to Rourkela is excellent. I have no idea of the road conditions beyond Rourkela via Birmitrapur to Ranchi(I went to Ranchi 20 years ago).

Quote:
I may change my mind and am also exploring
Bangalore - Hyderabad - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Jharsuguda - Khunti - Ranchi route
Hyderabad - Nagpur stretch was excellent when I did it in Sep 2018, barring two small stretches. Took me about 7-8 hrs for the 500 kms. Later when I was planning a trip in May 2019, the road conditions hadn't changed. I am hoping they will be the same even now since Google map suggests similar travel time even now.

I have heard Nagpur to Raipur is good but can't confirm. Raipur to Kutra (where you leave the Sambalpur - Rourkela highway) is again excellent.

Hope it helps!

PS: If you don't get inputs, the duration shown on Google maps can give you an idea about the road conditions based on the travel time and distance.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Vizag - Tatanagar/Ranchi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

I have heard Nagpur to Raipur is good but can't confirm. Raipur to Kutra (where you leave the Sambalpur - Rourkela highway) is again excellent.

Hope it helps!
Nagpur to Bhilai is pretty good, per my pal who travels often to Bhilai from Hyderabad. Bhilai to Raipur is also good, but there's a bit of traffic.
vnabhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 09:05   #37
BHPian

Completed one leg of the
Bangalore - Bokaro Steel City - Bangalore trip.

The route followed was:

Bangalore - Hyderabad - Nagpur - Raipur - Sambalpur - Jharsuguda - Kutra - Sundergarh - Bargaon - Simdega - Khunti - Ranchi - Gola - Petarwar - Bokaro Steel City

Kutra to Ranchi is single road.

Kutra to Simdega (alternate route) should be avoided in the present condition as Potholes, Unever surface, Diversions due to bridge constructions and multiple speed breakers are the highlights of this section. Hopefully this would be good in 4-6 months time.

If one has to go to Simdega from sundergarh then follow Sundergarh - Rourkela - Simdega route. Till rourkela its definitely 4 lane road. Hoping that Rourkela - Simdega stretch would be single but well laid stretch.

Simdega to Ranchi is well laid stretch with markings and reflectors. However there is a moderately heavy traffic on this route. Drive Safe on this route.

I would update the detailed experience of this entire stretch post completing my return journey to bangalore.

Last edited by Anupam1024 : 24th February 2020 at 09:30.
Old 1st October 2020, 23:04   #38

Hi All,

Planning to drive mid October from Bangalore to Ranchi via Nagpur->Raipur->Jharsuguda->Ranchi

Has anyone done this route recently?

I don’t plan to take a hotel on the way but plan to stay in car at night at a fuel station or next to a 24 hour restaurant. Is it safe to do so? Has anyone done this? If yes, which spots/locations.
Old 8th December 2020, 18:43   #39
BHPian

Hi

Planning to drive to Tatanagar from Pune during Christmas holidays. Till Sambalpur I guess roads are pretty good, but need to know which is better route post Sambalpur. Should I go via Rourkela or keep on Kolkata highway till Keonjhar and then take Chaibasa route. Travelling first time with family on this side, hence preference will be safer route.

Most Viewed