Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 18:09   #1
BHPian

Delhi Amritsar Route enquiry - Suggest driving style also!

I'll be travelling on 14 Aug noon from Noida to Amritsar. (Hoping to cover the distance in 6-7 hours. What do guys think? Is it achievable or aiming too high. I'm from Bangalore and find the local traffic bit too unnerving to negotiate. How should my driving be - cautious!! ok to speed on highways?? Please suggest.
Old 13th August 2008, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is one way distance of approx 500 kms with lots of NHAI construction going on enroute. Also you are leaving tomorrow noon. To reach the proper highway NH1 itself will take you atleast 1.5 hrs. If it rains and there is waterlogging, then pray.

You shall not be able to do it in 6-7 hrs. A few years back, at my best, it used to take me 4 hrs to reach Ludhiana from Delhi; that too, if I managed to leave by 5 am. I've also heard that there are speed checkers (traffic police) on the road, in Delhi, Haryana and Punjab as well.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Possible to do it once you clear Delhi border. Road is fine. Traffic is very fast and aggressive. No problem areas. Road 4 lane all the way. All big towns bypassed till Jalandhar. Signages excellent. NH1 all the way.

I have done Delhi Azadpur-Jalandhar in 5 hours leaving 4 pm. And Delhi-Amrisar overnight in 6 hours leaving 1130 pm.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North India, Apr 2000
Check this log book of Delhi-Amrisar drive

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North India, Dec 2007
his has some of the sections: Delhi-Jalandhar and Amritsar-Jalandhar, but both in heavy fog conditions last Dec, so very slow.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:21   #4
BANNED

Delhi to Jalandhar would take 5.5 -6hrs, without stops. Jalandhar to Amritsar will take ~1.25hrs.
Delhi to Jalandhar is double lane, so its easy. But Jal. - Amritsar is single road & traffic is nervewracking , also this patch is known as the "killer highway" because of numerous accidents that take place routinely.
You can speed on highways & Ive touched max. speeds of 185 kmph on Delhi -Jal. road, but be cautious on Jal. - Amritsar patch, keep speed around 120kmph.

And remember one thing, dont try to race with Punjab Reg. no. cars, they dont like people passing them.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:37   #5
BHPian

no way you cn make it if you leave at that time in that time span, Sonepat and Panipat( not sure if the flyovers are functional yet will be horrendous
you leave at noon you hit delhi border by 2 if you are lucky .... if it does not rain you hit karnal bypass around 4
and then starts rush hr traffic ... have fun ...
Old 14th August 2008, 00:41   #6
BHPian

Leaving at noon, you won't be able to cover that distance in 6-7 hours. From noida to Karnal Bye pass around 1.5 hrs, then from karnal byepass to Ludhiana around 5 hrs or so & then around 2.5 hrs to Amritsar. Also be careful, in recent times, i have seen Police Interceptors on Highway in Haryana as well as in Punjab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
And remember one thing, dont try to race with Punjab Reg. no. cars, they dont like people passing them.
True my friend really true, being from punjab, i can surely vouch for this.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

In Haryana stick to 90kmph, police interceptors are dime a dozen.
In Punjab be careful at Sirhind, Khanna etc., towns as traffic is very unruly
Once you hit ludhiana, DONT take the bypass, drive straight into city
After a few kms you will reach famous Tin Murti chowk, keep going straight from there on the elevated router, you will meet bypass
If you take the bypass you will get struck at various traffic jams due to evening rush at transport nagar, but the route through the city is straight without any turns anywhere and goes to meet bypass

Panipal flyover is functional.
Problem area is Satluj toll gate(Doraha toll gate was shifted there), and there are lots of jams, so it will take atleast 8 hours with fast driving.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Road upto Sonepat is a mess, but Panipat flyover is open....and for those not familiar with the region, the Punjab Police love out-of-town cars - Argue with them, you can chop off a few 100s from the hafta!
Old 14th August 2008, 00:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Road upto Sonepat is a mess, but Panipat flyover is open....and for those not familiar with the region, the Punjab Police love out-of-town cars - Argue with them, you can chop off a few 100s from the hafta!
truly agree with you Sir, you are saved somewhat if you know how to speak punjabi, even if car is having other state's no. Chd. ploice have stopped me for checking numerous times as my car is DL registered but when i start speaking punjabi, they generally let go.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:18   #10
BHPian

drive safely from jallandhar to Amritsar, its single road with lots of diversions and NHAI construction and heavy traffic too!!
I would suggest take the Ludhiana bye pass and dont enter the city. Dont overspeed 90-100 is a decent speed and when in haryana dont mess with the Jaats and when in punjab dont mess with any of the punjabisThere's lot of construction going on the Amritsar road once u enter amritsar so be safe....bus drivers drive like crazy. Avoid overtaking from the left!!
All the best.
the most important thing...plan to leave early in the morning else you'll be stuck at the Karnal byepass!!

Last edited by nickoo : 14th August 2008 at 09:19.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
drive safely from jallandhar to Amritsar, its single road with lots of diversions and NHAI construction and heavy traffic too!!
I would suggest take the Ludhiana bye pass and dont enter the city. Dont overspeed 90-100 is a decent speed and when in haryana dont mess with the Jaats and when in punjab dont mess with any of the punjabisThere's lot of construction going on the Amritsar road once u enter amritsar so be safe....bus drivers drive like crazy. Avoid overtaking from the left!!
All the best.
the most important thing...plan to leave early in the morning else you'll be stuck at the Karnal byepass!!
The bypass goes through the city, to be precise through the most congested area of ludhiana.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoo View Post
Why is Karnal bypass jammed - flyover construction?
Old 14th August 2008, 10:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why is Karnal bypass jammed - flyover construction?
ya its because of the flyover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The bypass goes through the city, to be precise through the most congested area of ludhiana.
ts just couple of roundabouts that are congested, getting inside Ludhiana is next to hell if its not early in the morning or late at night!!
Moreover there is no place in ludhiana that's not congested its just which route is more haggle free IMO i have always found bye pass to be a better bet!!
Old 14th August 2008, 10:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

I do this route reguarly. There are no issues after SOnepat, no problem anywhere after that till ludhiana.
I guess nickoo meant Delhi border where due to flyover construction jams can last 2-3 hours during peak hours.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I do this route reguarly. There are no issues after SOnepat, no problem anywhere after that till ludhiana.
I guess nickoo meant Delhi border where due to flyover construction jams can last 2-3 hours during peak hours.
yup i meant Delhi bye pass.There is no road that can take you to karnal bye pass if you want to drive on NH1!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks