Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 15:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Weekend Getaways from Mumbai

@akshaymahajan - If you want a place which is not too crowded, then please avoid the above places that you have mentioned. They are eternally crowded. And offlate become dirty too because of the crowd.

Dive-agar is a nice, serene beach. Not too crowded. There are many home stay/guest houses here. Little further ahead is Harihareshwar beach which is equally beautiful.

Igatpuri is a silent hill station. Not too far away from Mumbai. Maybe around 100kms. Many hotels are available here too.

A little further from Igatpuri is Bhandardara. There is a dam here in the background of the western ghats. 155 kms from Mumbai.

You surely can visit Daman if you have a single point agenda of getting sloshed . Being a Union Territory, liquor is dirt cheap. Its on the coast. There are 2-3 beaches, though they arent so scenic. But you surely will find it crowded (for obvious reasons) .

Hope this helps you. Enjoy your trip.
pokerface23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 15:08   #62
BHPian

@akshaymahajan as you don't have a car, I would suggest Mahabaleshwar, super cold at that time of the year. plenty buses and lots of options to stay in & near the main market.
Plus Pune is also close by. Google the various options online and book the one you find best. I cant remeber the prices , But Hotel Rajesh is good, right in the market, Hotel Dina has a superb view, as does Valley View, and Hotel Fredrick. some more options in Paanchgani, which is about 20-30 kms from Maby.

Beach, Manori can be an option and can be reached within 90 mins of wherever you are in the western suburbs. Two days maybe more than required time to enjoy the place.
Manoribel, Palm Beach Resort, Dominica's are some options, check them online.

For the weather I would go to Maby, for the ease to travel I would go to Manori.

Happy Holidays
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 16:34   #63
BHPian

Thank you both so much. pokerface, all the earlier choices eliminated after reading your reply. I was under the impression that Daman was a tiny bit like Goa. But reading online, it looks like its just a drinking hub for the neighboring states.

neofromcapone, Thanks for bringing up Mahabaleshwar and panchgani. Thats probably where I am going to go now. Still looking at hotels though.

In Panchgani, I am trying to decide between brickland and Forest Valley resort? Any first hand experiences?
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:54   #64
BHPian

Can we please rejuvenate this thread?

Looking for a 3-4 day stay at a hill station this March/ April around* Mumbai.

I think everyone here knows the usual spots like Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Matheran, Igatpuri, Deolali, etc; so can anyone please suggest something NEW which is not over crowded?

*I don’t mind driving 6-7+ hours too.
So not necessary it has to be in the vicinity of Mumbai.

Couple of destinations I have come across are:
Saputara ( 5 hour drive )
Western Ghats of Belgaum ( 9 hour drive )

Anything more than a 10 hour drive won’t do!

Please share your experiences
Thank you

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd March 2021 at 04:46. Reason: Spacing.
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:55   #65
BHPian

This thread is a true reflection of options around Bombay - very slim.

😀

Jash 2709 I can only think of Anandvan in Bhandardhara.
Excellent location, great property, I hope the food is still good.

There is a unique property in Maby, The Shambhalah Resort in Mahabaleshwar which is literally on a cliff. Do check it out.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 00:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
This thread is a true reflection of options around Bombay - very slim.

😀

Jash 2709 I can only think of Anandvan in Bhandardhara.
Excellent location, great property, I hope the food is still good.

There is a unique property in Maby, The Shambhalah Resort in Mahabaleshwar which is literally on a cliff. Do check it out.
Thanks a ton for the reply but just as most of the mumbaikars, both these places are done.

I don’t mind driving into other states foe a good road trip!

Hope somebody can contribute here

Thank you
Old 7th March 2021, 12:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Thanks a ton for the reply but just as most of the mumbaikars, both these places are done.
I don't know if you've been to Silvassa but for work I often used to visit Silvassa pre-pandemic. Sometimes I had to stay for a week also. There are quite a few good resorts to relax and chill. There are couple of beaches which I don't recall the names, but locals used to guide me there. Very secluded and clean beaches. Sometimes over the weekend my friends used to join me as and then there is Daman for some good sea food and cheap booze. Dudhani lake is also a peaceful place.
Old 1st July 2021, 14:10   #68
BHPian

Happen to drive to Bhandardara last weekend and boy! It’s pretty!
Everyone who’s looking for a quick weekend getaway from Mumbai, do consider this place!

Bhandardara is some 170 odd kms from Mumbai. Once you leave the Mumbai-Nashik Highway, the lush green surroundings will awe you! The route follows a single lane road once you leave the highway and it’s nothing but an enthusiasts delight! The twists and turns will make you want to keep driving more! Plus the tarmac is good, so far, save a few kms of stretch! Also, the stretch has a couple of waterfalls, so you might want to carry your swimsuits!

Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-761bc679242e47568408d5c2c165b311.jpeg

The route is also super tranquil! You could carry either mats or chairs to have lunch on the way out in the open! It’s a great experience!

Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-79fc13558e224920bf33b0444f64647a.jpeg

It’s a really small place basically having a handful of resorts!
MTDC provides cheap accommodations with lovely views of the lake! Anandvan Resort is other alternative if you are open to spending more! Ps the food at Anandvan is lovely!

Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-2b633b9fa168485f973c1ad58bebac5b.jpeg

There are couple of good points to visit once you reach the destination! But the route has some pretty bad roads! Ask the hotel manager beforehand about it!

If at all anyone does want to trip to Bhandardara, take the right for Bhavli dam and drive on to aanganwadi and then to shinde village! This route has better roads and is more scenic as compared to the normal route via Goti
Jash2709 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Happen to drive to Bhandardara last weekend and boy! It’s pretty!

If at all anyone does want to trip to Bhandardara, take the right for Bhavli dam and drive on to aanganwadi and then to shinde village! This route has better roads and is more scenic as compared to the normal route via Goti

Hi Jash,

Thanks for sharing!
I am actually visiting Igatpuri for the weekend.

Had planned Bhavali dam (had driven there once before) but now am tempted to drive till Bhandardara.
Google Maps says its another 40 kms from Bhavali to Bhandardar and takes 1 hr 20 mins. Was that your assessment?

We have a Baleno, Santro & Ertiga/Dzire in the group? Do you expect any issues for these cars to reach Bhandardara via Bhavali Dam?

We won't stay overnight, but reach the dam, maybe have lunch at Anandvan. Any specific place we should look out for?

Lastly, were there any police checks on the way? I have heard sometimes they do random checking purely to annoy and enjoy some sweets from travellers.

Thanks!

PS: is that an Octavia you drive?
Old 1st July 2021, 22:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post

Had planned Bhavali dam (had driven there once before) but now am tempted to drive till Bhandardara.
Google Maps says its another 40 kms from Bhavali to Bhandardar and takes 1 hr 20 mins. Was that your assessment?

We have a Baleno, Santro & Ertiga/Dzire in the group? Do you expect any issues for these cars to reach Bhandardara via Bhavali Dam?

We won't stay overnight,
You can take any car to Bhandardara. No issues. There are pot holes but manageable.

Bhandardara is not exactly a one day affair from Mumbai. It can be done, but will be very tiring and you will get only a few hours.

Its a one day plan, leave early morning.
Old 1st July 2021, 22:24   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
Hi Jash,

Thanks for sharing!

We won't stay overnight, but reach the dam, maybe have lunch at Anandvan. Any specific place we should look out for?

Lastly, were there any police checks on the way? I have heard sometimes they do random checking purely to annoy and enjoy some sweets from travellers.

Thanks!

PS: is that an Octavia you drive?
Yes, Bhavli dam to Bhandardara should take an hour
But the road is really good, doesn’t seem that long!

And no, your cars wouldn’t face any issues at all! I drove my superb until there and no problems whatsoever!

Please check with Anandvan resort beforehand, dining in for outsiders is mostly prohibited! You could get a takeaway and perhaps have lunch by the lakeside? ( Food prep takes about 45 mins to an hour) Make sure you plan accordingly!

Also, yes!
There’s strict checking by Bhavli dam! They let me use the road only because I had a booking for a stay in Bhandardara, which they actually checked! The other cars were made to turn around! I think this is strictly for the weekends though!

There’s Konkankada, Umbrella Falls and other few places to see around Bhandardara but they are a little too far and the roads are really not in a great shape either. So we passed on them this time around!

Hope you have a great trip! Do make sure about the Bhavli dam police checking!
Old 1st July 2021, 23:40   #72
BHPian

Thank you BHPians ruzbehxyz & Jash2709 for your feedback.

Much appreciate it.

Its a weekend stay in Igatpuri, hence we have some time to explore. If the police doesn't allow us to go, we'll probably just go back to our home-stay or try a short trek to the fort near Igatpuri town.

Thanks again! Will share back next week!
Old 5th July 2021, 22:59   #73
BHPian

A quick summary of our weekend stay at Igatpuri.

Stay:
We had booked a 3 BHK standalone home in Fogg City (its located just as you finish Kasara Ghat and reach the top, towards Nasik). Its a gated community, feels secure and have Manas Resort nearby so food is never an issue.

Drive to Igatpuri:
Largely uneventful, but as expected, there is rush till Kalyan/Bhiwandi. Once you cross the toll naka at Arjunalli, the traffic gets better (BTW, never understood why they call this stretch Expressway... its simply misleading!). We left a bit early so traffic wasn't as bad, but honestly, the quality & width of the road needs improvement.

The return trip saw much more traffic, as we left around 3 pm from Igatpuri. But this is expected on Sunday early evening.

Points of interest:
We were keen on Tringalwadi Fort trek, but the weather was a bit warm and the kids with us (we were a group of 5 couples in 3 cars) were a bit cranky by then (due to early start), so we dropped the idea.

I had been to Bhavli dam before, so decided to go there.
Now, the turn that you take towards Bhavli dam from the NH had police bandobast and they enquired where we wanted to go. Since I was forewarned about it, I just said we are headed to Sri Venkateshnagar Resort for lunch and that we were staying in Igatpuri itself.
For some reason (either the confidence in my voice, or the presence of family/kids), the police allowed us. We were still tentative, in case of further checks near to Bhavli dam, but we continued onwards.

Luckily, there were no checks, though policemen were stationed at the "Waterfall" points around the reservoir, ensuring no one would venture anywhere near the waterfalls.

However, there was no restriction on people stopping near the reservoir created by the dam (see photos below).

We spent a couple of hours, and headed back to Sri Venkateshnagar Resort for lunch as a very hungry bunch! (the restaurant in the resort is a good choice... it was my second time there, and food & service continues to fare well)

From there, we went to our Villa for the stay and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the stay (except for some walks near the resort, towards the valley). Yours truly, being a railfan as well, enjoyed some nice shots of the train coming in & out of the tunnels on a cool Sunday morning

Wish we had more rains, would have been a perfect trip!
And if it wasn't the pandemic, we could have explored a few other places. But it was still a good trip for a group of friends meeting after 18 months.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-img_7548.jpg  

Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-img_3718.jpg  

Weekend Getaways from Mumbai-img_3729.jpg  

VT-RNS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 23:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:

*I don’t mind driving 6-7+ hours too.
So not necessary it has to be in the vicinity of Mumbai.

Couple of destinations I have come across are:
Saputara ( 5 hour drive )
Western Ghats of Belgaum ( 9 hour drive )
Hi Jash,

Was reading the thread for inspiration and thought I would contribute here. Had missed this post the last time.

About Saputara:
Its a nice hill station nestled in a valley. Been here 3-4 times, but not in the last 12 years, so don't know how much has changed.
Today, it should take 5 hours top to reach. Has charm in winter as well as monsoons. On one of our trips during monsoon, it was raining 2 days straight, and fog had settled in making visibility near-zero. We ditched our last day of stay and returned 1 day earlier as it got boring. Otherwise, the walks around the lake, to the hill top etc are quite relaxing for 2-3 days.

To note, it comes under Gujarat and I doubt if alcohol is easily available. Not sure how strict is the checking nowadays.

Other alternatives:
Since you don't mind driving 7+ hours, why not consider Aurangabad?
I have done it 3 times now, most recently in 2019 year-end.
I posted a more detailed & long itinerary in another group, but here is a variation of it for a 4-5 day trip:

Day 1: Mumbai to Aurangbad, should take 8-9 hours. You can take Mumbai-Nasik-Aurangabad or Mumbai-Talegaon-Ahmednagar-Aurangabad. In late 2019, the latter had better roads as I did the former in one direction and the other in return.
Day 2: Ellora Caves & Devgiri fort (also known as Daulatabad). Ellora itself needs atleast half a day. And Devgiri fort is huge. Your stamina determines how much you want to explore!
Day 3: Aurangabad city caves, Mini-Taj Mahal etc. Relax a bit. Some very nice restaurants in Aurangabad this time when I visited vs many years back
Day 4: Ajanta Caves. The roads were fully under construction in 2019 Nov, so it was a nightmare. Took me 3.5 hours to cover 90 kms (one way). But the Ajanta Caves themselves are a sight to behold. Hopefully roads are ready by now.
Day 5: Return to Mumbai

If you want to shorten it by a day, you can combine Mini-Taj Mahal (Bibi Ka Maqbara) with either Day 2 or Day 4. Might make your trip a bit hectic. But with a Superb as your ride, you will thoroughly enjoy the drive (esp the Ahmednagar-Talegaon one)

I am a big big fan of Ajanta & Ellora caves, and feel they aren't visited enough. So highly recommend it. Always visited in winters, as it gets super hot in summer (or on warm days), so do take into account the weather in your travel plans.

Cheers!

Note to moderators: I know back to back posts are discouraged. It just so happens that I had different information for each of the posts, especially this last post which is a reply to an earlier query. Apologies in advance if this was not the right approach.
VT-RNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 22:26   #75

Best places within 300km radius from Thane!

Hi fellow TeamBHPians, my family(of three) is planning to explore places within approximately 300km radius from Thane for 4 days and 3 nights. We are mainly focusing on places that:
1. have hotels with the most positive reviews and feedbacks
2. have good internet connectivity
3. have nice restaurants to go to when we are hungry
4. lead to scenic routes (could be a road surrounded by trees, or could be a road alongside a beach)
5. are not crowded (taking the current situation into consideration)
6. are peaceful and serene

Please suggest some places fulfilling the aforementioned categories. Hoping for your prompt replies.

Thanks in advance!
Kausthubh2785

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks