Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 17:00   #196
BHPian

Re: Delhi To Jaisalmer : Route Queries

I am just back from my Gurgaon - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer - Bikaner - Mandawa - Gurgaon trip. HAd a lot of fun - update on the road conditions.

Gurgaon - Jodhpur

Took the Gurgaon - Jaipur - Ajmer - Beawar - Jodhpur route.

Amazing roads all along. Had initially planned to stop at Ajmer and then continue to Jodhpur next day - but ditched that plan and continued to Jodhpur the same day.

This route does have a lot of toll - around Rs. 400 worth.

Jodhpur - Jaisalmer

Took Jodhpur - Osian - Phalodi - Pokhran - Jaisalmer route

Between Pokhran and Jaisalmer road repair work is going on - and the road condition is bad.
Other than that stretch - the roads are good.

Jaisalmer - Bikaner

Took the route - Jaisalmer - Pokhran - Phalodi - Bikaner
Between Pokhran and Jaisalmer road repair work is going on - and the road condition is bad.
Other than that stretch - the roads are good.

Bikaner - Mandawa

Took the route - Bikaner - Ratangarh - Fatehpur - Mandawa

Fatehpur to Mandawa the roads are horrible (around 10-15km stretch) other than that good roads

Mandawa - Gurgaon

Took the Mandawa - Jhunjhunu - Chirawa - Loharu - Jhajjhar - Gurgaon route

Good roads. There are some small stretches with bad roads -- but not horrible, did not need to slow down as i was in a Scorpio.
But they are single roads - don't have divider in between. However, i think better than taking NH8 as it avoids all the traffic on NH8

Thanks.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:22   #197
BHPian

Can one expect Jaisalmer to be packed with tourists (from NCR and Gujarat) over the Independence Day weekend next month (August 12-15)?
Old 1st August 2017, 14:07   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Can one expect Jaisalmer to be packed with tourists (from NCR and Gujarat) over the Independence Day weekend next month (August 12-15)?
Jaisalmer is a far-off destination for most folks in NCR and most do not even go to Jaisalmer on the first day so expect less crowd from NCR. Jaipur would see maximum influx given the significantly less travel time.

However, Gujarat border is about 300 kms but don't forget, most Gujarat tourists would flock to Mount Abu and Udaipur instead because freedom to drink (which is a major agenda of vacation for people from Gujarat) and less distance.

I think you should be good but please keep a tab on the weather because if its hot, you just can't enjoy Jaisalmer.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 14:23   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Maybe talk to a few hotel owners? Should give you an idea about the rush. Even if there is availability for the first day, the dunes maybe crowded.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 23:32   #200
BHPian

Route from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer:

Option-1: Jodhpur - Osian - Phalodi - Pokhran - Jaisalmer
Option-2: Jodhpur - Dechu - Pokhran - Jaisalmer

Kindly suggest best option.
Old 28th November 2017, 13:32   #201
Senior - BHPian

Folks, What's the best route from Jaipur to Jaisalmer and Jaisalmer to Jodhpur ?
Old 28th November 2017, 19:15   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Folks, What's the best route from Jaipur to Jaisalmer and Jaisalmer to Jodhpur ?
The best route is Jaipur-Kishangarh-Beawar-Bar-Jodhpur-Dechhu-Pokharan-Jaisalmer

https://goo.gl/maps/4WQWKcGkHMy

Jaipur-Jodhpur should take you around 6-7hours and Jodhpur-Jaisalmer will take you around 5hours.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 20:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The best route is Jaipur-Kishangarh-Beawar-Bar-Jodhpur-Dechhu-Pokharan-Jaisalmer

https://goo.gl/maps/4WQWKcGkHMy

Jaipur-Jodhpur should take you around 6-7hours and Jodhpur-Jaisalmer will take you around 5hours.
Thanks a lot Ranjitp.
Do we have to go through Jodhpur to reach Jaisalmer ?
Old 28th November 2017, 20:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks a lot Ranjitp.
Do we have to go through Jodhpur to reach Jaisalmer ?
https://goo.gl/maps/LCSYoQXJwdA2 this is the bypass.
Old 21st December 2017, 16:37   #205
BHPian

i am doing a Faridabad-Jaisalmer-Faridabad trip in my Honda mobilio. Plan to start at 0230 on 23rd December in morning and reach ajmer maximum by 0800 hrs and to jaisalmer by 1400-1600 hrs. Need confirmation from other members if taking the ajmer-jodhpur route would be good. Distance is not an issue. Congestion free road is a priority. please suggest
Old 13th May 2018, 14:04   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
i am doing a Faridabad-Jaisalmer-Faridabad trip in my Honda mobilio. Plan to start at 0230 on 23rd December in morning and reach ajmer maximum by 0800 hrs and to jaisalmer by 1400-1600 hrs. Need confirmation from other members if taking the ajmer-jodhpur route would be good. Distance is not an issue. Congestion free road is a priority. please suggest
Hello, I'm also planning some trip from Faridabad to Jaisalmer. Can you please share your experience? Though I do not think I will be able to drive 800+ kms in a single day. Your guidance will be of great help.
Old 6th June 2018, 08:16   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Hello, I'm also planning some trip from Faridabad to Jaisalmer. Can you please share your experience? Though I do not think I will be able to drive 800+ kms in a single day. Your guidance will be of great help.
Two routes.. and depending on when you want to stop.. you can take either.
If you want to drive more on the first day, take the route that goes via Bikaner. You can halt at Bikaner. Will be a 8-9 hour drive depending on how many stops you take.

The other is to stop at Jaipur and drive more on the second day. Via Naguar reach Jaisalmer.

Both ways, road conditions are similar - good. I would take the Bikaner route though and that way you can explore the town too.
Old 16th December 2019, 17:49   #208
BHPian

I am planning to go Gurgaon Jaisalmer Gurgaon starting 25th Dec. Any tips on route will be great from some one who have recently done this. Any suggestions on places to stay are also welcomed.
I have 5 days in total.
Ps: I will be travelling with my little one (1 year old) so please suggest accordingly.
Old 22nd December 2019, 13:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
I am planning to go Gurgaon Jaisalmer Gurgaon starting 25th Dec. Any tips on route will be great from some one who have recently done this. Any suggestions on places to stay are also welcomed.
I have 5 days in total.
Ps: I will be travelling with my little one (1 year old) so please suggest accordingly.
With a one year old, you should try to break journey at Bikaner or Nagaur or Jodhpur or even Ajmer, depending on the route you are taking. Its too long a drive for a single stretch with a small child. Try and leave on 24th afternoon or evening from Gurgaon (though there will be heavy traffic of holidaymakers) and break journey at night at one of these places. On the return journey, you could start from Jaisalmer on the last but one night and break at Jodhpur or Bikaner.

So Day (-1): Gurgaon to (say) Ajmer (say leave GGN at 3.00 to avoid rush hour traffic and make it to Ajmer by 12.00)
Day 1: Ajmer to Jaisalmer (9-11 hours)
Day 2 / 3 in Jaisalmer (should be enough)
Day 4: Jaisalmer to Bikaner (7-8 hours)
Day 5: Bikaner to Gurgaon (9-10 hours)

Last edited by architect : 22nd December 2019 at 13:10.
Old 23rd February 2020, 21:25   #210
BHPian

Is it advisable to visit Jaisalmer by April? As I’m planning to cover few more norther locations, summer holidays are the best time to match my leave plans with kids. I did go through various forums and stunned to see the peak temperature hitting up to 48 ° C and average around 43° C, also read few caution notes "Not to venture out between 11am and 5pm".

So, not sure whether it’ll be bearable during this season and is it worth doing site seeing by taking some precautions or better be safe and plan during winter.

Most Viewed