Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

I also agree with Guru, going via Jaipur, Beawar and Jodhpur is the best route. Continue on Nh8 at Kishnagarh (2-lane roads fromKishan owards). Ajmer is also bypassed. Leave Nh8 after Beawar. All roads are very fast. Traffic can be very high bettween Kishnagarh and Beawar.

Delhi-Jaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer

Time estimates (reasonable speeds):
Gurgaon-Jaipur (souh end of bypass), 230 kms, 4 hours
Jaipur-Beawar, 170 kms, 2.5 hours
Beawar-Jodhpur, 155 kms, 2.5 hours
Jodhpur-Jaisalmer, 285 kms, 3 hours

aggregating 840 kms, 12 hours
Decide not to break your neck, take a coffee break, add 2 hours, doable in less than 15 hours, all in a day's work.

Delhi-Jaipur-Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer

Time estimates (reasonable speeds):
Gurgaon-Jaipur (Bikaner road comes just before south end of bypass), 220 kms, 4 hours
Jaipur-Sikar-Bikaner, 330 kms, 4.5 hours
Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer, 340 kms, 5.5 hours

aggregating 890 kms, 14 hours, add 2 more

Increase in distance is only 50 kms more.

Route via Bikaner is equally fast except that you may get jammed in and around Bikaner town. Bikaner-Jaislamer is very fast.

Mabe, you can do via Jodhpur on onward, via Bikaner on return.
Old 25th August 2008, 21:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

On roue via Jodhpur, Turn off on Nh8 comes 9 kms after the south end of Beawar bypass.

RTDC Pokhran is a nice place to stay at, away from town, almost on intersection of the Jodhpur and Bikaner roads converging en route Jaisalmer.

Facilities are generally poor, every dhaaba and petrol pump is an oasis.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Rajasthan, Dec 2000
My Rajasthan circuit:
Bombay-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Bikaner-Jaipur-Pushkar/Ajmer-Udaipur-Bombay

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh,Oct 2004
Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer route

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Uttaranchal, Sep 2005
Jaipur-Pushkar/Ajmer-Beawar-Udaipur route
Old 26th August 2008, 01:16   #19
Team-BHP Support

Thats for the info HV! The Trip is in October first half, but exact dates are not known.
Therefore no chance of advance booking.
I look at a couple of maps
While going I will bypass Jaipur, and then take NH8 from Kishangarh towards Beawar, leave the highway towards Jodhpur.

This way including breaks we will do GGN Jaisalmer in one stretch. Will tank up from Delhi and then in Jodhpur.
Return we will stay the night in Bikaner. Bikaner - Delhi if we start at 8am, we should be at GGN border by 8pm I guess.

any idea how bad is the tourist rush in first half of october?
Old 26th August 2008, 01:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

hvk saab, the buses that travel from Delhi do take a different route, don't they?

I've done delhi - bikaner - jaisalmer - bikaner - delhi in sleeper buses, and they seem to take a completely different route through smaller towns. Since tsk would be doing bulk of it in daylight, is there no alternative route?

I ask because IMO rajasthan typically has excellent roads and one can take most routes without fear of bad roads. ofc, city mein jam can be there, esp in bikaner - no bypass last i recall.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think the buses turn off NH8 at Shahpura and go to Sikar and Bikaner. Butt I prefer the NH8 option till Jaipur - very fast, towns bypassed - and distance savings may not be much. Agree with you roads are great in Rajasthan, inlcuding the route mentioned. Advantage at Jaipur is also that you can take the bypass and get onto Bikaner road directly witthout going into the city.

I also recollect seeing prominent signboards at Fatehpur (Bikaner-Fatehpur 172 kms-Sikar 40-Jaipur 120) pointing to Delhi which means the Fatehpur-Jhunjhunu-Narnaul-Rewari-Gurgaon route must also be popular. Since ttsk is reurning via Bikaner, he can always experiment around afer he reaches Fatehpur (go via Jhunjhunu or Jaipur). Keep in mind that this route means going on Haryana roads also, and this year rains have been merciless in the Rewari-Bhiwani-Rohtak region.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th August 2008 at 12:03. Reason: Consecutive posts within 15 minutes merged :)
Old 26th August 2008, 12:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

I want to avoid Haryana. I am willing to drive 100kms more to avoid Haryana. That state has roads worse than Punjab. After the rains its going to be horrendous.

So I think even while returning I will try to come back to Jaipur.
Is Bikaner-Delhi doable in 8-10 hours if we start at 8am?
Old 26th August 2008, 20:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Contradictions...? Bikaner - Delhi is 500 odd kms and doable. But you will have to cross Hissar, Rohtak & Bahadurgarh on the way, which is all Haryana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I want to avoid Haryana.

Is Bikaner-Delhi doable in 8-10 hours if we start at 8am?
Old 26th August 2008, 20:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bikaner-Jaipur road is fast but has several towns en route. Have driven the Bikaner-Jaipur 330 kms in 4.5 hours in the afternoon. On that basis, 10 hours to Delhi is quite feasible.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

The distance increases by about 100 odd kms by this route..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bikaner-Jaipur road is fast but has several towns en route. Have driven the Bikaner-Jaipur 330 kms in 4.5 hours in the afternoon. On that basis, 10 hours to Delhi is quite feasible.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Contradictions...? Bikaner - Delhi is 500 odd kms and doable. But you will have to cross Hissar, Rohtak & Bahadurgarh on the way, which is all Haryana
i frequently do Noida-Rohtak...would not suggest this route to anyone..specially after the delhi rains!!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RTDC Pokhran is a nice place to stay at, away from town, almost on intersection of the Jodhpur and Bikaner roads converging en route Jaisalmer.
Anywhere but that. In fact Fort Pokharan - restored fort hotel - also offers reasonable rates. This is equivalent of staying at Surajkund - Delhiwala's should know what I mean.

@Tsk : I know we get huge discounts. Offline me on how for that.

Plus saw a documentary about Jaisalmer the other day on telly...advising not miss the "Bhang Lassi" openly sold near Fort Jaisalmer gates cheers:

Quote:
Return we will stay the night in Bikaner. Bikaner - Delhi if we start at 8am, we should be at GGN border by 8pm I guess.
Easily doable in seven hours including pit stops.

Quote:
I also recollect seeing prominent signboards at Fatehpur (Bikaner-Fatehpur 172 kms-Sikar 40-Jaipur 120) pointing to Delhi which means the Fatehpur-Jhunjhunu-Narnaul-Rewari-Gurgaon route must also be popular. Since ttsk is reurning via Bikaner, he can always experiment around afer he reaches Fatehpur (go via Jhunjhunu or Jaipur). Keep in mind that this route means going on Haryana roads also, and this year rains have been merciless in the Rewari-Bhiwani-Rohtak region.
Bad roads. especially in the Haryana part of it. There are two connects Fatehpur-Jhujhunu-Dadri-Jhajhar-Gurgaon or Fatehpur-Jhunjhunu-Rewari-Gurgaon. Either option has lot of traffic and road under repair in case of former or potholed in case of latter.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th August 2008 at 17:10. Reason: Consecutive posts within 15 minutes merged :)
Old 27th August 2008, 17:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys little change of plans.
Now its going to be just a Jaisalmer trip.
We will be going with friends who will catch a flight from Jaipur to go back to their home town.
So the plan is
1. Delhi Jaisalmer(reach by 6pm)
2. Jaisalmer
3. Jaisalmer
4. Jaisalmer - Jaipur
5. Jaipur Delhi

Sudev, I will be PMing you for Jaisalmer accommodation details

We can stay at Ajmer also instead of jaipur if you suggest, near some old fort is good.
Based on flight time(for example if its at 7am, we will have to use Jaipur as stopover), we will decide the overnight halt
Old 28th August 2008, 00:17   #29
BHPian

Hi Tsk
The shortest route possible is for around 700km's
Distance between cities,Shortest path finder
Hope this helps

Cheers!
M2S
Old 28th August 2008, 16:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sudev, I will be PMing you for Jaisalmer accommodation details
Unfortunately my contacts in Jaisalmer is now in Jodhpur. Would you be willing to stay in some Haweli's? Not done that in Jaisalmer but they are an experience.

Quote:
We can stay at Ajmer also instead of jaipur if you suggest, near some old fort is good.
Pushkar is better and 15~20kms from Ajmer. Out of town limits if you want to cheers: else inside (hardly a matter of a kilometer). In ajmer there is an old fort converted in to hotel - google for it.

Most Viewed