Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 16:24   #1
BHPian

Pune to Ganpatipule : Route Queries

Hi guys,
I am planning a trip from Pune to Ganpatipule sometime next month. I have gone through many threads of similar querries about the route. However doing some research using MapMyIndia and Google Earth, i found the route where you turn right from Shirwal (i think) on NH4 leading to Bhor and then Mahad (on NH17), to be the shortest. A couple of questions that i have though are:
1) Is this a good route, as i have not heard anyone mentioning taking this route to reach NH17. Atleast on paper its the shortest but i have no idea about the actual road condition.
2) My only other option would be to take the Umbraj/Karad->Chiplun route but then its a little longer and adds to the time. Although time is not the main criteria as i would love to drive longer on NH17 - its a lot more fun.
I would really appreciate if anyone who has done this route could update me. Thanks!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi aviator,
don't take pune-bhor-mahad route. its mess.
take following route.
pune-satara-umbraj-right turn to patan-malharpeth-patan-helwak-kumbharli ghat-chiplun-left turn at junction on nh17 to ward goa-sangameshwar-right turn before hathkhamba toward ganapatipule-ganapatipule.

on this route, you can take small halt at koynanagar for watching dam and beautiful nehru garden.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 17:59   #3
BHPian

Thanks Ashish!
You say its a mess because o the rains now or is it always not in good condition? Because i spoke to a few people who have travelled via the umbraj->patan->chiplun route recently and they said that the road becomes really bad after patan all the way till you descend kumbharli ghat. So probably all the routes are in bad condition after the recent heavy rains.
Old 29th August 2008, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ pune bhor mahad route,
it is in mess because original part of bhor - mahad route is submerged in newly built nira devghar dam water, new road is not setteled yet and has to be repaired regularly. road from bhor to hirdoshi [ a village in between] is so frustating. bhor-mahad, 70 km, will take you 2.5 to 3 hours. so don't take it.
@ patan-kumbharli ghat road,
on 20/7/8, i was on this route, small patchwork here and there, road is ok.
Old 29th August 2008, 10:45   #5
BHPian

HI There,

Well I dont know about bhor mahad road conditions, but I travelled to koyna via umbraj-patan. I would say road was fantastic if u leave alone few kms stretch near patan and through patan. But no idea how the road is after koyna nagar.
Old 29th August 2008, 15:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot ASHISH and 1000Horses for your replies guys. As ASHISH said it would be really frustrating taking 2.5 to 3 hrs doing just a 70 kms stretch. So its settled for me then and i would be taking the Umbraj->Chiplun road as advised by fellow BHPians.

Mods may close this thread if they wish to as the thread starter's query has been answered.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Hello,

I am visiting Ganpatipule coming weekend and will be driving my trusted Indica V2. I intend to start early from Pune to reach Ganpatipule by Noon to 1:00 PM. There are few queries that I have on the route I would like to take, after I have fully gone through this thread.

Query 1: How is Mulshi-Tamhini-Kolad road off late. Few months back I traversed on this route and it was pretty bad, especially Mulshi - Tamhini Top where the ghat starts.

Query 2: I have never been through Amba Ghat. I would like to take following route while going to Ganpatipule

Pune -> Satara -> Karad -> Malkapur(bypassing Kolhapur) -> Amba Ghat -> Sakharpa -> Pali -> Nivali Phata -> Ganpatipule.

I have traversed through Bor Ghat, Tamhini Ghat, Varandha Ghat, Kumbharli Ghat and Amboli Ghat. Amba Ghat was only the one missing.

Does anybody have travelled the Karad Malkapur route off late without going to Kolhapur? 2 years back I had been to Pawankhind Resorts and this was the route I took. The road was excellent, very green, even in May.

Query 3: Is there a good hotel around Karad where we can have good breakfast?

Looking forward to your responses,

takecare and drive safely

Rajesh
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
Hello,

Query 1: How is Mulshi-Tamhini-Kolad road off late. Few months back I traversed on this route and it was pretty bad, especially Mulshi - Tamhini Top where the ghat starts.

Query 2: I have never been through Amba Ghat. I would like to take following route while going to Ganpatipule

Does anybody have travelled the Karad Malkapur route off late without going to Kolhapur? 2 years back I had been to Pawankhind Resorts and this was the route I took. The road was excellent, very green, even in May.

Query 3: Is there a good hotel around Karad where we can have good breakfast?
1] tamhini ghat is still in bad shape. i was on this road on 14th feb.
2] amba ghat route is good.
karad malkapur road is good. no potholes, no traffic, somewhat lonely upto malkapur. amba ghat is also in good shape. you may traverse more km resulting in more time. you have to take right turn under the bridge called kale phata.
3] karad city itself have few hotels. you can have breakfast at dhabaas near karad.

but if you have to reach at ganapatipule @1pm, it will be advisable to take kumbharli ghat route. i hope, you are staying at mtdc which has 9am check out time. i suggest go to g'pule via kumbharli ghat and come back via amba ghat and kolhapur taking darshan at mahalaxmi temple.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 2nd March 2009 at 11:53.
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune -> Satara -> Karad -> Malkapur(bypassing Kolhapur) -> Amba Ghat -> Sakharpa -> Pali -> Nivali Phata -> Ganpatipule.
From Malkapur to Pali, it is excellent. No idea about Karad to Malkapur.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] tamhini ghat is still in bad shape. i was on this road on 14th feb.
2] amba ghat route is good.
karad malkapur road is good. no potholes, no traffic, somewhat lonely upto malkapur. amba ghat is also in good shape. you may traverse more km resulting in more time. you have to take right turn under the bridge called kale phata.
3] karad city itself have few hotels. you can have breakfast at dhabaas near karad.

but if you have to reach at ganapatipule @1pm, it will be advisable to take kumbharli ghat route. i hope, you are staying at mtdc which has 9am check out time. i suggest go to g'pule via kumbharli ghat and come back via amba ghat and kolhapur taking darshan at mahalaxmi temple.
Thanks a ton. This definitely helps. Hats off to you and hvkumar on the speed of response. Simply amazing.

Yes, I am staying in MTDC for 2 days and plan to do nothing but catch on some rest at the resort.

I will defintely think on going by Kumbharli and coming back via Amba.

takecare and drive safely
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:16   #11
BHPian

Karad - Malkapur route is ok, almost zero traffic - i did this route in december. Its just that this route is somewhat lonely especially the stretch near Malkapur. There is a small ghat you have to cross coming from Malkapur towards karad.
But this route does save a lot of distance and time as malkapur-kolhapur is some 50kms in a southward direction whereas you have to actually go northward to reach pune.
As hvkumar said, malkapur-pali(NH17) route through amba ghat is a great road to drive on as its a NH and well maintained.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:03   #12
BHPian

How much is the total distance from Mumbai to Ganpatiphule ? And the approximate travel time ?
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
How much is the total distance from Mumbai to Ganpatiphule ? And the approximate travel time ?
its 375km.
traveltime depend upon your driving.
it is anything between 7hrs to 9hrs.
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have uploaded a log book of mine which has both the Kolhapur-Amba Ghat-Ratnagiri-Ganapatipule route as well as the Ganapatipule-Bombay route. On this occasion, I had taken approximately 5.5 hours from GPule to Bombay.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BombayKolhapurRatnagiri-May2007.xls (31.0 KB, 2711 views)
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hvkumar-I had taken approximately 5.5 hours from GPule to Bombay.
sir,
i had gone thro' triplog posted by you.
i must say that its really very fast journey from g'pule to mumbai.
but for a normal drive, its more than 7 hrs.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 2nd March 2009 at 14:03.

Most Viewed