Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 11:24   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Once i was coming back to Bangalore from Hyderabad, no idea where i took the wrong turn, i ended up in Hindupur.
Then i had to take the Doddaballapur route.

-- Torqy
I drove before and after NH7 is made 4 lane. Once I landed up in wrong route, when the road was in construction, and there was a small deviation at the place where there is a turn for Puttaparthi coming from Bangalore, I was supposed to come back to NH7 by a diversion, but missed and went towards SSPN, and came out via DMM. But now there is no such scope for mistakes. You cant miss a 4 lane road. "make no mistake about it"
Old 28th June 2010, 12:45   #272
Senior - BHPian

Latest on NH-7 (Hyd - Blr)

Guys,

What is the % completion of 4-laning on this stretch? Are all major towns now by-passed?
Old 1st July 2010, 17:09   #273

Road is not so good (for lesser mortals who are NOT die-hard driving enthusiasts)

I had recently (between 25-27 Jun 2010) driven on Bangalore-Dhone stretch of NH-7 on my Alto. I checked Team-BHP forum (this exact thread) before embarking on my journey and should say that posts related to road conditions have been very helpful. I also agree that road is very good wherever the 4-laning is complete and operational.
However, in the approx. 300 km of highway (one-way), the road ceases to be a highway (of today's standards) at several places. Unfortunately, I could neither count the instances nor the total distance for which the road is not up to the mark, but by hunch it should be 10-15 times and around 100 km (if not more). The worst stretches are the ones passing through towns and the make-shift roads bypassing not-yet-ready bridges. And then there are those several stretches where traffic of both directions is forced to drive on same side of the median due to diversions enforced for reasons not clearly apparent. The two-lane portions on the other side on the median look perfectly ready, so they might just lay waiting for "formal" inauguration. Whatever the reason, average speed in the bad stretches comes down drastically due to limited visibility (when there are heavy vehicles) and difficulty in overtaking slow vehicles (esp. trucks) due to oncoming traffic of opposite direction. Things get worse in the night.
Even after maintaining a top speed of 100 kmph in the good stretches, and two short breaks (total 15 min), I was disappointed to clock 5.5 hours for 300 km of "high-way" (excluding the city portion).
Am surprised to read that Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in 7.5 hours. Well, may be it is possible with more powerful cars (to maintain a top-speed much higher than 100 kmph) and much better drivers! I hear that the Kurnool-Hyderabad stretch is perfect, so the average speed (for Hyd-B'lore) might go up. Plus it might be very much possible from outskirts to outskirts.
To summarize, for a casual driver like me who ventures on long drives only only on "good" roads, this driving experience was far from satisfactory. May be my understanding of "excellent road" is bit unrealistic (well, I can't help, because I saw really excellent highways elsewhere in India), or may be it has something to do with me not being a full-fledged driving enthusiast.
Posting this in the hope that it is useful for other "casual" drivers like me.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:36   #274
BHPian

My opinions in italics

Quote:
Originally Posted by casuallyonroad View Post
I had recently (between 25-27 Jun 2010) driven on Bangalore-Dhone stretch of NH-7 on my Alto. I checked Team-BHP forum (this exact thread) before embarking on my journey and should say that posts related to road conditions have been very helpful. I also agree that road is very good wherever the 4-laning is complete and operational.
However, in the approx. 300 km of highway (one-way), the road ceases to be a highway (of today's standards) at several places.

I think your expectation is a good 4-lane road, and all other things unexpected. Instead toggle that and you will enjoy this road even in its present state of construction! Egs:
-> "I am suddenly at a point where I am not sure if I have to take a deviation or continue straight": Did you watch other vehicles on your lane ahead so that you can notice if they have taken a diversion to the right?
-> "Traffic is coming on the wrong side, doesn't that guy know the opposite stretch is open". No, maybe he doesn't. Or maybe he is from a village and is seething coz NHAI now makes him take u-turns all the time.
-> "Can't they mark the diversions". They have, sometimes with a proper board but sometimes with a yellow ribbon!!!!

Unfortunately, I could neither count the instances nor the total distance for which the road is not up to the mark, but by hunch it should be 10-15 times and around 100 km (if not more). The worst stretches are the ones passing through towns and the make-shift roads bypassing not-yet-ready bridges. And then there are those several stretches where traffic of both directions is forced to drive on same side of the median due to diversions enforced for reasons not clearly apparent. The two-lane portions on the other side on the median look perfectly ready, so they might just lay waiting for "formal" inauguration.

That's often because the road is ready but a minor bridge or a portion of road over a culvert isn't ready as yet.

In such stretches it is de rigeur to over-take the slow moving vehicle (ideally only a truck, coz other vehicles may not be as savvy as the trucker) in front of you if say only 1 vehicle is coming from the opposite side. This is because the width of that one side of the highway can take 3 vehicles side-to-side. With experience, you tend to judge when the opposite guy is also experienced so instead of getting mad at you, he will keep to his left, the truck to his left and you pass the middle effortlessly.

Whatever the reason, average speed in the bad stretches comes down drastically due to limited visibility (when there are heavy vehicles) and difficulty in overtaking slow vehicles (esp. trucks) due to oncoming traffic of opposite direction. Things get worse in the night.

Even after maintaining a top speed of 100 kmph in the good stretches, and two short breaks (total 15 min), I was disappointed to clock 5.5 hours for 300 km of "high-way" (excluding the city portion).
Am surprised to read that Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in 7.5 hours. Well, may be it is possible with more powerful cars (to maintain a top-speed much higher than 100 kmph) and much better drivers!

I usually leave B'lore at 3.30 am and am in Jadcherla by 10.30 am driving a not-so-powerful i10.

I hear that the Kurnool-Hyderabad stretch is perfect, so the average speed (for Hyd-B'lore) might go up. Plus it might be very much possible from outskirts to outskirts.

Yup that stretch is very good

To summarize, for a casual driver like me who ventures on long drives only only on "good" roads, this driving experience was far from satisfactory. May be my understanding of "excellent road" is bit unrealistic (well, I can't help, because I saw really excellent highways elsewhere in India), or may be it has something to do with me not being a full-fledged driving enthusiast.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:50   #275
Senior - BHPian

So looks like Bangalore-Kurnool stretch is still so-so and then on till Hyderabad is excellent (fully 4-lane?). Is that correct?
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:00   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am surprised to read that Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in 7.5 hours. Well, may be it is possible with more powerful cars (to maintain a top-speed much higher than 100 kmph) and much better drivers! I hear that the Kurnool-Hyderabad stretch is perfect, so the average speed (for Hyd-B'lore) might go up. Plus it might be very much possible from outskirts to outskirts.
Mr. casuallyonroad, Hyd-blr and vice versa is infact doable in 7.5hrs. I have myself driven from hyderabad to bangalore(point to point) in 8hrs, with a 40minutes breakfast break. So that actually makes it 7hrs 20 minutes of drive time.I think HVK has done it in 7hrs, search for his post on this thread.
I would say the total stretch is good, except for some portion around Ananthpur. You can easily maintain speeds above 100kmph in this stretch and that is what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
So looks like Bangalore-Kurnool stretch is still so-so and then on till Hyderabad is excellent (fully 4-lane?). Is that correct?
Yes hyd-kurnool is fantastic four lane road.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 2nd July 2010 at 15:01.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:10   #277
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Fordmanchau.The bypasses yet to be completed is Kurnool, Gooty, Ananantapur and Penukonda.The toll is already in place between Hyderabad to Kurnool and A.P- Karnatak border to Devanahalli.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:14   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I agree with Fordmanchau.The bypasses yet to be completed is Kurnool, Gooty, Ananantapur and Penukonda.The toll is already in place between Hyderabad to Kurnool and A.P- Karnatak border to Devanahalli.
A lot of these bypasses that are yet to complete are around the railway line. Otherwise, the road is awesome.
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:45   #279
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Hyd-Blr can be easily done on 7.5 hours, many of us have done it. In my case, when I came from Hyderabad, I did not go into Bangalore city, turning off NH7 at Devanahalli and going directly to Hosur. I dod Hyderabad Panjagutta-Devanahalli (after excluding 15 minutes of detouring in Kurnool) in 6.75 hrs.
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:25   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Mr. casuallyonroad, Hyd-blr and vice versa is infact doable in 7.5hrs. I have myself driven from hyderabad to bangalore(point to point) in 8hrs, with a 40minutes breakfast break. So that actually makes it 7hrs 20 minutes of drive time.I think HVK has done it in 7hrs, search for his post on this thread.
I would say the total stretch is good, except for some portion around Ananthpur. You can easily maintain speeds above 100kmph in this stretch and that is what I did.
Yes hyd-kurnool is fantastic four lane road.
Yes, I entirely agree with what FM has said above. Hyd.-Blr is fantastic now except very few diversions before and after Anantpur. I found those diversions adequately marked and far less messy then we normally see when 4-laning is in progress. Yes, If I remember correctly, Gooty has to be passed through the town still. On our recent trip (June 14), we did Hyd-Blr in 8.5 hrs, including total 50 minutes break-time, starting at 3.30 am.

All said, I must agree, timing also depend on several factors, and all such observations can only be taken as guiding points only, not to be blindly attempted to be achieved.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 2nd July 2010 at 18:32.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:20   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am surprised to read that Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in 7.5 hours. Well, may be it is possible with more powerful cars (to maintain a top-speed much higher than 100 kmph) and much better drivers!
To summarize, for a casual driver like me who ventures on long drives only only on "good" roads, this driving experience was far from satisfactory.
One of the key factors is to start early and get out of city traffic. A start at 2am or 3am would be ideal.

Another factor is familiarity with the routes, diversions and traffic patterns. This can be achieved by regularly watching threads in this forum itself, not necessarily driving oneself through the route.

Powerful vehicles are not a necessary condition. Nor are speeds much higher than 100. Consistently maintaining around 90-100 kmph should be good enough, IMO.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:24   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am surprised to read that Bangalore-Hyderabad is doable in 7.5 hours. Well, may be it is possible with more powerful cars (to maintain a top-speed much higher than 100 kmph)
I do HYD-BLR(Mehdipatnam-Hebbal) in 8hours regularly in my humble M800,with consistent speeds of 90kmph,this road easily qualifies to be one of the best stretches in the country,proof of this is the amount of private buses that have begun services between Hyd and Coimbatore as a result of this highway becoming good.Earlier HYD-CBE in a day was just a dream
Old 6th July 2010, 15:14   #283

Thanks guys, for the responses/insights.
I admire those who are able to clock such good times on this road (in the present conditions).
Like I already said, my disappointment might be because of a combination of factors (including the one that I may not be a good enough driver under these conditions). Plus I did not start my drives in the early morning (which seems to be a regular/prescribed practice for long drives on this road).
Keep the wisdom flowing mates, there are always anxious followers like me (as of now) to consume it.
Old 4th August 2010, 00:26   #284
BHPian

The roads are absolutely fabulous all the way to B’lore. I drove down from Hyd'bad on the 7th of July. Yes, there are some issues with by-passes, specially around Gooty, Anantpur and Penukonda, but the total amount of non 4 lane roads ( and I took odo readings!) was just 30 kms. All throughout, I managed an average speed between 75 and 85 and the journey from Samshabad to Hebbal Flyover took 8:15 hrs with a 35 min lunch and 25 min tea break. For those who still have a few doubts, pics attached!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-coorg002.jpg  

Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-coorg003.jpg  

Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-coorg009.jpg  

Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-coorg031.jpg  

Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries-coorg021.jpg  

Old 4th August 2010, 13:50   #285
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad to Banglore last weekend.The road upto Kurnool 4 lane.
Kurnool-Gooty almost complete one bridge on the road towards Gooty from Kurnool incomplete.I almost hit the divider at this place because I could not negotiate as the signs and deviation sign was not proper in the night.I could manage to get away from a major hit.
Goothy bypass not ready.
Goothy-Ananthpur lot of deviation manageble.
Anathpur bypass flyovers not complete.
Anathpur -Penukonda one bridge and Penukonda bypass yet to be completed otherwise it is four lane.
Penukonda-Banglore four lane.
Every driver is different so comparing the running time on this stretch is variable.8-10 hrs
would be safe driving time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks