Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 11:18   #526
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Bangalore - Latest Road Conditions

My friends did the BLR - HYD route last week and it took them less than 6 hours from Devanahalli to Banjara Hills in SX4-D. They stopped only once for bio-break and a cup of tea.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:17   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
My friends did the BLR - HYD route last week and it took them less than 6 hours from Devanahalli to Banjara Hills in SX4-D. They stopped only once for bio-break and a cup of tea.
Thats a slightly crazy timing and definitely not reccomended imho for either man or machine,
Old 28th August 2011, 19:48   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Thats a slightly crazy timing and definitely not reccomended imho for either man or machine
Ranjit, on the contrary I feel that's reasonably safe, depending on car and conditions, considering I did Hebbal to Shamshabad in 6.5 hrs last year. This was when -

a. Gooty bypass wasn't ready
b. It was raining moderately between Kurnool and Hyderabad so we slowed down
c. Journey time was 8:45 am to 3:15 pm which isn't the most free time I think
d. You know from my recent drives' average speeds how slow we are compared to others

It basically depends on the number of breaks taken. Hyd-Blr is so awesome that I think most can do it with just one short food break and still feel fresh, machine permitting.

There's one biker who's done it in around 6 hrs give or take on a ZMR but he can ride 5 hrs at a stretch without needing breaks, and is an outlier.

People used to post 7-8 hrs times on the old road (with four laning only between Jadcherla and Rajendranagar, and Bengaluru and Chikballapur). That, I felt was really dangerous.

In fact I'm expecting some fairly ludicrous times to be posted by Avi (mobike008 ) on his Cruze in his upcoming Hyd-Blr-Hyd round trip.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 28th August 2011 at 19:56.
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:15   #529
BHPian

I did the Blr-Hyd-Blr trip over the weekend

The journey from blr was a bit tedious, the reason being the last 100km stretch it was raining and was dark with poor visibility. Left around 12.30PM from office in electronics city and was in gachibowli at 9PM (door to door timings), with a couple of breaks.

From Hyd, left around 10.30AM from the city and was at home by 6.00PM (door to door) with a couple of breaks of around 45 mins.

This being my first drive to Hyd, noticed the following things in the journey, even though i had prior information on this courtesy t-bhp.

1. The eating options are very poor

2. Truckers and buses never drive on the left side of the road. It was a pain to get stuck behind to slow moving lorries, buses etc.

3. Tractors, bikers etc. driving in your lane from the opposite direction. Had a close shave with one of the tractor guys. There was a lorry on the left lane and a lorry on the right lane in front me. As i was approaching the lorry, he suddenly swerves to the left and i see a tractor in my lane about 30ft in front of me with lights on. Had to slam the brakes to avoid a collision. There was one more incident of a tractor guy on the wrong lane that too i encountered him in a blind curve..God forbid..!!

4. Dogs are a major casualty on this road i guess, maybe in the nights i guess. Could see lots of them dead on the highway. I almost killed one as it jumped from the median and crossed the road suddenly. need to be careful about this.

Last edited by NFS2024 : 29th August 2011 at 12:17.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:29   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I did the Blr-Hyd-Blr trip over the weekend

3. Tractors, bikers etc. driving in your lane from the opposite direction. Had a close shave with one of the tractor guys. There was a lorry on the left lane and a lorry on the right lane in front me. As i was approaching the lorry, he suddenly swerves to the left and i see a tractor in my lane about 30ft in front of me with lights on. Had to slam the brakes to avoid a collision. There was one more incident of a tractor guy on the wrong lane that too i encountered him in a blind curve..God forbid..!!

4. Dogs are a major casualty on this road i guess, maybe in the nights i guess. Could see lots of them dead on the highway. I almost killed one as it jumped from the median and crossed the road suddenly. need to be careful about this.
Not directed at NFS, please note.

Motto is that even if the man and the machine feel they both are capable, do keep margin for errors and do drive safe.

You have only one life to live and enjoy so do not try and compete for numbers (like I did it in 5 hours or 6 hours), just not worth it.

Sorry for the sermon but my two bit advise to all in general!!!
Old 29th August 2011, 12:35   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Not directed at NFS, please note.

Motto is that even if the man and the machine feel they both are capable, do keep margin for errors and do drive safe.

You have only one life to live and enjoy so do not try and compete for numbers (like I did it in 5 hours or 6 hours), just not worth it.

Sorry for the sermon but my two bit advise to all in general!!!
I understand and appreciate your point. The objective of my post was to give my experiences. I never thought I will do the journey in so and so time. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 29th August 2011, 12:36   #532
Senior - BHPian

6.5 hrs is safely do-able airport-to-airport in daylight. I could do the same in my safari which is not the most aero dynamic vehicle. There are two small diversions. one at Ananthapur ( iskon temple ). the other - IIRC before Kurnool. the electronic sign boards were displaying the same.

Over 120kph speeds there is a lot of cross winds between Penukonda and Kurnool, needing you to stay alert and constantly correct steering.

Dogs are a nuisance. Absolutely no food options, except in the towns, save for the Hilltop restaurant after Jadcherla and the Ravi Theja hotel, and of course the Sher-e-Punjab Dhaba after Ananthapur ( next to a small HP fuel pump ).

Was fortunate to bump into a bunch of 20 Harely riders at the Hilltop restaurant from Hyderabad on my previous trip!
Old 29th August 2011, 14:42   #533
BHPian

I am leaving to Bangalore in next 1hr.

Start - Gopanapally, Hyderabad
Destination - Brigade Millennium, JP Nagar, Bangalore

Google maps is showing it as 601 kms.

I will make a note of the various drive times and update all tomorrow morning...
prabingade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 14:50   #534
BHPian

Hello all,

I did BLR - HYD - BLR on 26th Aug night and returned this morning at 6 am in Scorpio. This is one of the best roads in India however please note that as mentioned before, there are almost zero (good) food options unlike BLR - HSR - CBE route. However there seem to be lots of fuelling options. I did not stop to refuel since I had tanked up at the start of both journeys.

The best time to leave BLR in my opinion is around 6 pm if you stay east of the city and have access to NH 207 or Hennur-Kothanur road all the way to yelahanka. This way you will get into HYD around 2 am at the most and not hit the traffic that is trying to get into hyd at sunrise. The biggest pain is the traffic after Kurnool towards HYD. At both the toll booths you will see atleast 2 vehicles in each of the 5 tool booths compared to the tool booths before Kurnool where there wont be any other vehicle waiting for a reciept on either side of the road.

The best time to return would be to plan to reach shamsabad around midnight or later as there is traffic in the city even at this hour.

The thing to absolutely watch out for is when the vehicle in front of you moves from right to left lane, it doesnt mean he is giving you the way. It could mean there is a moron in the right lane driving towards you. So always plan to overtake from a safe distance and drive like you are on a divider less road. you will be safer this way.

Also at night, you dont see any 2/3 wheeler traffic or any zombies crossing the road looking towards the heaven.

I left Banaswadi at 9.30 PM and reached Safilguda at 5.00 AM and on the return I left at 10.45 pm and reached home at 6 am with 30 minute break on both journeys.

On the way back, I reached kurnool around 2 am, Anantapur around 3.30 am.

OT: The best car for this road is either a fast hatch or any 1500 CC+ sedan as these roads are too much for the aerodynamically challenged Scorpio.

Last edited by ak916 : 30th August 2011 at 14:52. Reason: Added return timing
ak916 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 23:22   #535
BHPian

Below are my timings in yesterday's drive from Hyd to Blr

Gopanapally: 4:10pm
Airport: 4:40pm
Kamat, Chikbalapur: 10:15pm
Devenahalli: 11:15pm
Brigade Millenium, JP Nagar, Bangalre: 12:15 pm

The breaks:
20 mins after Kurnool for Tea/Omlette at roadside
10 mins in Reliance Petrol Bunk before Gooty (A1 Dhaba)
10 mins after Gooty toll gate in BPCL Petrol Bunk
40 mins for dinner at Kamat
10 mins at Hebbal for a power nap

Did it with Wifey, 5 yr old son and 1 yr old son. Very comfortable drive, was not tired at all.

Off to Club Mahindra, Thekkeddy tomorrow early morning for the upcoming long weekend. Will post the road conditions in appropriate forum... Have a great long weekend...
prabingade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 09:37   #536
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, I don't see the relevance of this thread anymore as the entire stretch has been 4-Laned. All that the thread has become now is a list of postings about who can do the stretch the fastest.

Cheers
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 13:11   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To be honest, I don't see the relevance of this thread anymore as the entire stretch has been 4-Laned. All that the thread has become now is a list of postings about who can do the stretch the fastest.
I'd still keep the thread around for the following reasons -

1. Latest info on the SH/NH207 Bengaluru bypass (to East/South Bengaluru) whose condition seems to keep changing with the season.
2. Similarly, guiding people with the ORR in Hyderabad. Since the ORR is still under construction there could be frequent changes to "best route to take" to reach <xyz> point in Hyderabad.
3. Updates to food and fuel stops on the highway itself. Of course, I've only seen the number of (food) options come *down* over the last 5 years.
4. Any other, potentially "real-time" information on the road.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th September 2011, 13:35   #538
Senior - BHPian

I drove this stretch this weekend.
Nothing much to add.
Driving between Dhone and Gooty be a lit extra precautious.
The jeep drivers (local Transport) are on the wrong side of the highway on to the right side of the lane with good speeds.
Almost hit a guy on this stretch.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 14:36   #539
Senior - BHPian

Due to the Telangana issues are there any road blocks or rasta roko happening on this road over the next 5-6 days ? Have travel plans next saturday. Any info much appreciated.

thanks
Srini
Old 27th September 2011, 14:52   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Due to the Telangana issues are there any road blocks or rasta roko happening on this road over the next 5-6 days ? Have travel plans next saturday. Any info much appreciated.

thanks
Srini
Nothing known now, except for a Hyderabad bandh planned for 30th September. But things could change, so watch this thread and the other one on Hyderabad traffic and road updates.

Most Viewed