Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 08:16   #661
BHPian

re: Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I thought that Hyd -> Blr was doable in 6 hrs. Am I mistaken on my assumptions ?

Any options for good fuel bunks as I exit Bangalore on my return ?
There is a BP (COCO?) outlet at Chikballapur which also houses Kamat Upachar. It will be on your left side.

You can shortlist a few more for your return journey when travelling Hyderabad to Bangalore and update this thread with your observations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Easily doable in 6hrs. Traffic is sparse once you cross devanahalli/BLR airport till you reach Shamshabad/HYD airport.
+1.

Doable in 6 hours driving time most of the times but also depends on what time of the day one crosses various cities like Anantpur, Kurnool, Jadcherla, etc. Also assuming that discussion is restricted about travel time between airport and airport.
Old 10th July 2012, 17:09   #662
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Bangalore - Latest Road Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
BLR-HYD NH7 is by far the best road in the country today,better than what you see between BLR-Salem-Avinashi-CBE-Walayar-Thrissur.

This is almost an airfield tarmac.Yes,eating facilities dont exist on the highway after Chikballapur-Kamat Upachar till Shamshabad.
I have to say Ranjitp is absolutely correct. Picture this....

I was working my tush off till 4.30 Pm (from home albeit) last thursday. I logged off , got my family and luggage into the car, filled up at the nearby bunk and started the long drive from Jp nagar to Hyderabad.

6 Pm After a frustrating 1.5 hours I got to chickballapur Kamath. Filled up with idlies and wadas and hot piping coffee and started the drive to Hyderabad in earnest, Time: 6.30 PM !

I was lucky to have a new XUV leading as Pilot car for about 100 kms. He set the speed at 130-140 KMPH.

Around Penukonda, I took over the lead as he was settling into a cruise mode.

I then ripped my linea at 130-140 KMPH for a long time, with high velocity cross winds battering against my car. The car wanted to fishtail many a time crossing trucks, but the steering on that amazing car stayed true

I knew the winds were strong when I put my hand out to pass on money to the toll booth guys and I could feel the speed of the wind on my arms at the toll booth.

I crossed Kurnool and stopped for a nature break and tea, relishing the amazing feeling you get after a high speed run.

I whipped my car back into another speed against time Run, this time though some plastic barriers blocking two lanes in many passing thru villages, naturally had to slow down to 80-100, in those areas. Also the 4 laning in progress just before hitting Hyderabad slowed me down to a crawl for a good 30 minutes.

I entered the elevated expressway to Secunderabad at a run, kept at 80-100 kmph on it, and reached my doorstep in secunderabad at 12.25 AM.

My family was speechless, in awe and admiration at my feat, as was I , to be honest. I am not sure if I can do it again, but I will forever cherish the memory of this Highway Drive.

Obviously , since this drive was done with no breaks other than one break near chickballapur and one near kurnool and that too in the dead of the night, there are no pictures. Ah but the memory lingers.... !
Old 10th July 2012, 17:39   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I have to say Ranjitp is absolutely correct. Picture this....

Obviously , since this drive was done with no breaks other than one break near chickballapur and one near kurnool and that too in the dead of the night, there are no pictures. Ah but the memory lingers.... !
I have done trips like this quite a few times in my baleno. It was a pleasure driving on this butter smooth tarmac, cruising at 160kmph, wife sleeping & doggy enjoying the speed burst!

Off late, after i sold my baleno i am doing this stretch every alternate weekend on volvos & even these guys maintain 110kmph consistently.

My own travel time on this stretch has been 5hrs 48mins for 682kms, with a single pee stop . I started this trip in the unusual time of 2.00AM of a friday

Dont forget to thank NDA for kick starting this 4 lane highways between major cities and setting up a nice infrastructure for petrolheads !! he he
Old 10th July 2012, 18:06   #664
Senior - BHPian

Last Friday I travelled from Hyderabad to Bangalore and did the return trip on Sunday late morning. Details hereunder:

Hyderbad - Bangalore
Shamshabad- 3:50PM
Kurnool- 6:20PM
Anantapur Outskirts - 8:20PM
Dinner - 8:20 - 9PM
Devanahalli - 11:40PM
Hebbal Flyover - 12:15 AM

Bangalore - Hyderabad
Devanahalli - 11:30am
Anantapur - 2:05PM
Gooty outskirts - 2:45PM
Kurnool - 3:45 PM
Shamshabad - 6:20PM

Speeds were less because I was carrying cycles in the load bay and it was open and creating a huge drag.

We were a convoy of two cars with the lead car sporting MLA sticker. First toll booth allowed both the cars to pass through without paying toll. But we weren't so lucky at the toll booths thereafter. We were actually quite surprised coz MLA/MP cars don't get free passage.

Cheers
Old 10th July 2012, 18:36   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I have done trips like this quite a few times in my baleno. It was a pleasure driving on this butter smooth tarmac, cruising at 160kmph, wife sleeping & doggy enjoying the speed burst!

Off late, after i sold my baleno i am doing this stretch every alternate weekend on volvos & even these guys maintain 110kmph consistently.

My own travel time on this stretch has been 5hrs 48mins for 682kms, with a single pee stop . I started this trip in the unusual time of 2.00AM of a friday

Dont forget to thank NDA for kick starting this 4 lane highways between major cities and setting up a nice infrastructure for petrolheads !! he he
Hey kri$hna, Milecruncher,

Nice posts from both you guys. It was nice but guess what was nicer, the return trip..

I started at around 7.30 AM from Ecil X roads, on Monday, drove sedately till I reached taht nice drive in restaurant just off Hyderabad, can't remember the name. Had nice idlis and vadas there. Coffee was good but not the filter kind..

Hit the road and started gunning my linea consistently going through as best as possible though the small towns and villages though there were lot of idiots on the right lane, pet peeve here, if you want to go 30-60 kmph use the left lane !

I must have gone through kurnool in a hurry though reaching around penukonda around 1 - 1.30 PM, I whipped my car through curves at 160 KMPH and on a Straight held a even 180 KMPH for about 10 seconds.

Wife took a picture, will try to attach it to the post later..

Got to Mekhri circle at around 2.15-2.30 Pm, welcome to the hell called bangalore traffic. By the time I reached home at Jp nagar, after getting takeout from a nearby place, it was 4.30 PM. End of a long journey.

I think we should label the journey from the internation airport road junction to anywhere central bangalore as ........
Journey to the Center of the earth !
Old 11th July 2012, 10:40   #666
BHPian

Pictures of speeds are not clear but anyways I don't think I will be doing this again, being that it's against the speed rules and forum rules.

It's not safe either.
Old 11th July 2012, 11:49   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
It's not safe either.
The road condition is very good, that it invites everyone to go at higher speeds. But its definitely not safe to drive at those speeds consistently, unless you are in a hurry to reach the destination (personally, I don't recommend going above 120kmph on this stretch).

Most of the time, the goons near the towns (especially, ananthapur and kurnool) and villages keep roaming on the highway, as if its like their home, and not to mention the auto-rickshaws and tractors coming in the opposite direction on the fast lane. Along with these are the stray cattle crossing the road unexpectedly, initially I thought only dogs, sheep and cows, but last trip I saw donkeys also grazing on the divider. As I was maintaining safe speed, I was able to stop in time, as one of the donkeys decided to jump on to the road suddenly .

Its always better to have your braking distance (which increases with speed) very clear, no matter what speed you are driving at.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:19   #668
BHPian

As promised, Here is an update on fueling options on this road (COCO)
All of them are as seen driving from Blr.

1) 1 km after Hebbal flyover on left
2) few Kim's before Chikbellapur on left (kamat upachar)
3). Few Kim's before Gooty toll plaza (right side before toll plaza and left after toll plaza)
4). Kurnool 10 kms after the town on left side
5). 65 kms before Hyd on left side
6). 40 kms before Hyd on left side

Petrol is cheaper in AP by about 1 rupee so you can work out your stops accordingly.
Old 13th July 2012, 06:13   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet
As promised, Here is an update on fueling options on this road (COCO)
All of them are as seen driving from Blr.

1) 1 km after Hebbal flyover on left
2) few Kim's before Chikbellapur on left (kamat upachar)
3). Few Kim's before Gooty toll plaza (right side before toll plaza and left after toll plaza)
4). Kurnool 10 kms after the town on left side
5). 65 kms before Hyd on left side
6). 40 kms before Hyd on left side

Petrol is cheaper in AP by about 1 rupee so you can work out your stops accordingly.
There is also a COCO about 100kms before hyd to your right at Jadcherla
Old 18th July 2012, 14:43   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Easily doable in 6hrs. Traffic is sparse once you cross devanahalli/BLR airport till you reach Shamshabad/HYD airport.
Hello All,

We plan to drive early this sat morning from bangalore just to watch the "dark knight rises" movie on i max! This thread has been brilliant in giving me almost all the information i would require for the drive..

However i have 3 qtns:

1. Since I havent driven into hyderabad before (and have no clue in terms of directions in town) i wanted some help on the best way to get to our accomodation for the night located at maredpally. Will my iphone "maps" take me to my destination easily? Else any guidance please upon entering the outskirts?

2. Leaving arnd 7 am from bangalore would allow for bfast at kamat chikballapur? The assumption is we would just need one eating stop and can make it for a late lunch..

3. Any suggestions on famous local eating joints (biryani & kebab pls ) close to the maredpally area?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:08   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhead View Post

maredpally. Will my iphone "maps" take me to my destination easily? Else any guidance please upon entering the outskirts?
Keep on the NH7,go past Hyd airport diversion and keep going till you see huge signboards for PVNR Expressway.Take the Eway and you are now on the elevated expressway for about 12kms.You descend the eway at Mehdipatnam.Keep on the road and you would see a flyover approaching.DO NOT take the flyover,instead keep to the left and at the signal below the flyover,take a left(its a free left).You are now on Banjara Hills Rd1.Follow the road till the end,where you see a flyover coming down(opposite direction to your flow).Go by the side and you would encounter a circle.At the circle,take a right and climb on the flyover that follows.From thereon keep straight and take all the flyovers you encounter,and the road ends at a big junction cum circle with a Church in front of you.From thereon its Marredpally.Be sure if you want to go to East or West Marredpally

On a unrelated note,Prasadz Imax at most times can be crowded like hell(I am yet to figure why the crowd though!)

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...2,5,6&t=m&z=14

Quote:
2. Leaving arnd 7 am from bangalore would allow for bfast at kamat chikballapur? The assumption is we would just need one eating stop and can make it for a late lunch.
You should be at Kamat in an hour from Hebbal.Airport to Airport is usually done in 6-6.5hrs.From there to Maredpally would take you around 60-90mins-traffic dependent.

Quote:
3. Any suggestions on famous local eating joints (biryani & kebab pls ) close to the maredpally area?
The famous Paradise Restaurant is close to Marredpally.Its about 10mins by car.Do not opt for the takeaway,do a dine in for the best taste.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 18th July 2012 at 16:15. Reason: Map added
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 14:19   #672
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your time Ranjit!

We are now even contemplating leaving late afternoon tomorrow, say 3 to 4pm - in that case how late can we get dinner around Marredpally? (I am assuming there isnt any great eatery on the way..) How late are eateries typically open? Thank you in advance for your help..
Old 19th July 2012, 14:32   #673
BHPian

Quote:

We are now even contemplating leaving late afternoon tomorrow, say 3 to 4pm - in that case how late can we get dinner around Marredpally? (I am assuming there isnt any great eatery on the way..) How late are eateries typically open? Thank you in advance for your help..
If you starting that late, you will find "active" eateries on highway (where Hyd-Bang volvos stop), typically around Jadcherla town.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:42   #674
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, assume you cross airport by 4pm, I recommend going cautious / slow while its getting dark, especially in the radius of 30-40km of ananthapur, before and after.

There is one Restaurant called Aashiyana (non-veg, at least when I had biryani there, couple of times, it was good) just near the 2nd shadnagar turn (which I hope will be open till around 11:30pm). I am not sure of any eateries beyond 11:30pm inside the city.

I am starting to hyderabad on saturday early morning (Time yet to be decided), and planning to reach hyderabad around 3pm. If anyone see's a silver i20 with LTD and baby on board stickers on the back, that would be me .

Last edited by rishie : 19th July 2012 at 14:43.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:57   #675
BHPian

I hope this thread doesnt become a place where people keep commenting on how quickly they have done this stretch - 6 hours may be doable as many people have mentioned, but I would advise people to mentally plan for at least 8 hours to cover this stretch.

The Bangalore-Hyderabad distance is around 560 km or so, and a steady driving of around 100 kph max should allow you to cover the distance in decent time, even if you have two breaks, as you can maintain higher average speeds.

Its definitely not a good idea to keep trying to break a new record, as this stretch, like most other Indian highways, is not access controlled, and you have all sort of random traffic and jaywalkers on the road.

I hope this thread focuses more on road conditions, bottlenecks, new eateries / fuel outlets in the area etc.

Drive safe!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks