Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 06:34   #1231
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
.The visit to ramoji was not up to my expectations, as it was like a visit to a theme park instead of a film city
Exactly. I also felt the same.
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:56   #1232
BHPian

Made a trip to Bangalore from Hyd last week. Started from Hyd at around 10:30 AM and was at the Devanahalli toll gate by 5:30 PM, with a 1 hour break for fuelling the car and the family. Made the return journey yesterday. Started from Bangalore at 8:30 AM with the target of reaching Hyd by lunch time (between 2 & 3). Reached Gachibowli by 2:45 PM.

The roads are great, lots of places to fuel, and if you can start early in the day, you don't really have to worry about making a pit stop for food as you can make it by lunch time. Just 1 stop for fuel and you should be good. Thoroughly enjoyed the drive.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:26   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Did this stretch as a part of a drive to central India and it continues to be a driver's delight! Really makes you revel in the "live to drive" motto all over again. There is a nice restaurant named 97-something about 60 km or so before Hyderabad on the left hand side while driving from Bangalore - excellent food, nice ambience, and super clean restrooms.
Old 10th January 2016, 12:11   #1234

I am driving from Bangalore to Hyderabad and need to be at Hyderabad airport by 9:30 in the morning. Leave Bangalore around 6 pm, night halt midway and then leave early morning for the Hyderabad airport. Looking for suggestions for places to do an overnight halt
Old 10th January 2016, 14:14   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banarsi View Post
I am driving from Bangalore to Hyderabad and need to be at Hyderabad airport by 9:30 in the morning. Leave Bangalore around 6 pm, night halt midway and then leave early morning for the Hyderabad airport. Looking for suggestions for places to do an overnight halt
Just a suggestion. Why not start at 3am and reach the airport directly? Steady speeds of +/- 100kmph easily results in a avg.speed of 80-90kmph. You would need roughly 6hrs at max to reach Hyderabad. And the good part is you enter Hyderabad city near Shamsabad, i.e the RGI airport and so you don't encounter city traffic. If you are not coming to catch a flight, it is well worth the risk rather than halting in the small towns enroute.

I drove to Bangalore and back in the last week of Dec, with my parents and it took me 8hrs from my home to the hotel within the heart of Bangalore city and the same while returning. It also included a lunch break and fuel stop each time. And I never went beyond the above mentioned speed limits.
Old 11th January 2016, 10:03   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Just a suggestion. Why not start at 3am and reach the airport directly? Steady speeds of +/- 100kmph easily results in a avg.speed of 80-90kmph. You would need roughly 6hrs at max to reach Hyderabad. And the good part is you enter Hyderabad city near Shamsabad, i.e the RGI airport and so you don't encounter city traffic. If you are not coming to catch a flight, it is well worth the risk rather than halting in the small towns enroute.

I drove to Bangalore and back in the last week of Dec, with my parents and it took me 8hrs from my home to the hotel within the heart of Bangalore city and the same while returning. It also included a lunch break and fuel stop each time. And I never went beyond the above mentioned speed limits.
I second what you are saying but have a couple of questions having never done this trip in the night.
  1. Do the toll gates operate as normal during the nights or should you expect just one or two gates to be operational, which might result in long queues?
  2. Should you account for random security checks by cops at the toll gates in the night?

All this can eat up considerable time, especially if you are running against a strict timeline.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:41   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
I am driving from Bangalore to Hyderabad and need to be at Hyderabad airport by 9:30 in the morning...
Bangalore exterior to Shamshabad Airport is easily doable in 6 hours of run time including up to 30 mins of delay at 7 toll booths that you encounter in between.
Roads are very well marked overall, so easy to drive in dark as well. Unless you are agnostic to night driving, driving straight is a very considerable option.
I have covered this stretch twice in last few days, this stretch is very pleasing to drive.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:05   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I second what you are saying but have a couple of questions having never done this trip in the night.

1. Do the toll gates operate as normal during the nights or should you expect just one or two gates to be operational, which might result in long queues?

2. Should you account for random security checks by cops at the toll gates in the night?

All this can eat up considerable time, especially if you are running against a strict timeline.

Well I am not a frequent traveler on that route but I know for sure that tolls on hyderabad to vizag operate at full strength even at night time. Also Bangalore Hyderabad toll booths don't have much traffic even during day time and so should not be a problem during night.

Regarding your second question, I did encounter a police check during my day travel. They asked to stop, show the PUC and insurance papers and then let me go. All this took me 3-4 minutes maximum. Again this should not be a problem for you.

I would rather request you, if you can maintain your composure and don't over-speed or freak out for being late, then do start at night and reach by 9. If you want to be double sure, start at 2am and then slow down enroute depending on your coverage in the first 3 hours. Wish you a safe trip.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:22   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Contrary to what others have advised, I'd say you should stick to your plan of leaving by 6 pm. I suggest you drive straight to Shamshabad village and shack up in one of the many budget hotels there. Next morning, drive 7 kms to the airport with a fresh mind.
If you leave at 6 pm, you should be reaching Shamshabad latest by 1 am. If you feel sleepy on the way, then stay put at a hotel in Kurnool, which is 200 kms short of Shamshabad. You should reach that place by 11 pm. Wake up early and drive to RGIA. It is a 2-hour leisurely drive from Kurnool.
Old 12th January 2016, 06:01   #1240

I thank all of you for the advise. Still unsure about the 6 pm departure or the 3 am one. Will be travelling on 23rd night or 24th morning and will let everyone know how it turned out.
Old 17th January 2016, 09:23   #1241
M35
BHPian

Staying option between Devanahalli and Ananthpur

Will be driving from Hyderabad from Munnar tomorrow.
Will be taking the Bodimettu- Theni-Dindigul- Salem-Hosur- Bagalur-Hoskote-NH-7 –Hyderabad.

Since I have my mother on board, will not be pushing hard and hence need suggestions to stay on the Devanahalli- Hyderabad stretch.

Does Nandi Vihar have lodging ? Any other options in the same area and beyond until Ananthpur? Any suggestions in Ananthapur will also help but not beyond.
Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 09:58   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Yelhaka in Banglore has lots of options to stay.
Better would be stay at Hosur so that can hit the highway in the morning
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 18:21   #1243
BHPian

Did Hyd - B'lore - Hyd a few days back. The usual 6 to 6.5 hours or so of driving time airport to airport at reasonably sedate speeds 100 to 110 kph for the most part.

Few things to highlight :
- There is Traffic Police checking for nearly all cars as you enter Kurnool from Hyd side. The checking is primarily for PUC and Insurance. I had my papers in order and had a friendly chat with the young-ish officers on duty. If you don't have either of the papers, the fine (with receipt) is INR 1000 is what they had to say.

- There is a newly opened restaurant called "Blue Moon" just 5-10 kms after Gooty (on the right hand side). It is a nice, food court type restaurant with lots of parking space. There is a fair bit of glass used in the structure that provides some reasonably good views of the fields and hills around. Really clean washrooms. Had lunch there - decent, fresh, hygienic food - Indian, Chinese, Conti, Fast food options were available for lunch.

- Nandi Upachar just before Devanahalli is a place where we stopped for south indian fare. Very good food and great filter coffee. Highly recommended.
Old 20th January 2016, 23:01   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I'm driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad on Jan 22nd. Assuming I start after breakfast at 930 am, what will be the best place for a lunch break? Preferably it should be after 130 pm.

And what is a decent place for petrol top up? Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2016, 11:05   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad on Jan 22nd. Assuming I start after breakfast at 930 am, what will be the best place for a lunch break? Preferably it should be after 130 pm.
OMG, a frequent traveller, a well read person who should be advising others, is asking here!!!

You could try the below suggested place. Also, tank up at the Gooty COCO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Did Hyd - B'lore - Hyd a few days back.

- There is a newly opened restaurant called "Blue Moon" just 5-10 kms after Gooty (on the right hand side). It is a nice, food court type restaurant with lots of parking space. There is a fair bit of glass used in the structure that provides some reasonably good views of the fields and hills around. Really clean washrooms. Had lunch there - decent, fresh, hygienic food - Indian, Chinese, Conti, Fast food options were available for lunch.

Most Viewed