Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 17:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mp Diwali Tour

Hai TBHPer's,

Thinking of a trip to MP during Diwali, need some suggestions for the following Iterinary. I have the approx. distances worked out.

OCTOBER:
24th Ahmedabad to Indore / Omkaraswar -650 kms.– check in around 8 pm
25th Visit to Omkaraswar / sight seeing.
26th check out 6 am-Ombaraswar to Panchmari –350 kms -check in 3 pm
27th Panchmari – sight seeting –
26th check out 6 am - Panchmari to Bedaghat / Jabalpur - 230 kms -
27th-Jabalpur / Bedaghat sight seeting
28th check out 6 am - Bedaghat to Khana WLS – 165 kms - check in 3 pm
29th Sight seeing Khana WLS
30th – Check out 6 am – Reach Dhule or Jalgaon late night – 700 kms
31st – Check out 6 am – Reach Ahmedabad through Surat. - 800 kms.

Some Questions:

1. Which is the best route to Indore form Ahmedabad, thro Surat?
2. Are there good Hotels @ Omkaraswar, or is it better to cover it from Indore?
3. Is 1 1/2 days sufficient @ Panchmari, is there much to see?
4. Is there a good hotel at Bedaghat, I think its 60 km from Jabalpur.
5. Is Khana WLS good for Tiger spotting, or are there better WLS near Jabalpur?
6. On the way back from Kanha, I will reach Nagpur and catch the highway through Jalgaon, Dhule, Surat Ahmedabad. I will have to take one stop midway around Jalgaon, which would be around 700 KM from Kanha WLS. Any other suggestion?
7. If the stretch the plan by 4 more days, will I be able to touch Orissa / konark and come back?
7. Road conditions?
8. Suggestions on hotels around 2500/- per day ?

Sorry for the long list of questions, I'm pretty blind on MP road conditions and best alternatives.

Thanks in advance for you help.

--Ramky
========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 28th August 2008 at 17:09.
Old 28th August 2008, 17:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
26th check out 6 am-Ombaraswar to Panchmari –350 kms -check in 3 pm
26th check out 6 am - Panchmari to Bedaghat / Jabalpur - 230 kms -
27th-Jabalpur / Bedaghat sight seeting
28th check out 6 am - Bedaghat to Khana WLS – 165 kms - check in 3 pm
30th – Check out 6 am – Reach Dhule or Jalgaon late night – 700 kms
31st – Check out 6 am – Reach Ahmedabad through Surat. - 800 kms.
Err something looks wrong with dates could you re-post
Old 28th August 2008, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai TBHPer's,

5. Is Khana WLS good for Tiger spotting, or are there better WLS near Jabalpur?
Kanha WLS have most number of tigers inside it. It is spread along 440 sq kms (not sure exact area).

It is one of the best for Tiger Spotting. I have been to Kanha and stayed there in Tuli Resorts ( I do not remember per day charge). We have spotted some 6 tigers and 3 - 4 Leopards inside the Jungle.

I think you drive Scorpio (Diesel Vehicle). Diesel vehicle is not allowed inside jungle by forest department. You have to hire Gypsy (One Gypsy for 6 people) when you go inside. Plenty of them are there. You have negotiate hard.

Even, forest departement will take you on the back of Elephant if Tiger is spotted besides on the road.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Corrected Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Err something looks wrong with dates could you re-post
Technocrat, Thanks for that pointer. I have corrected the dates as given below.

OCTOBER
26th chk out 6 am-Omkaraswar to Panchmari –350 kms -check in 3 pm
28th check out 6 am - Panchmari to Bedaghat / Jabalpur - 230 kms -
29th-Jabalpur / Bedaghat sight seeting
30th check out 6 am - Bedaghat to Khana WLS – 165 kms - check in 3 pm
31st Sight seeing Khana WLS
1st– Check out 6 am – Reach Dhule or Jalgaon late night – 700 kms
2nd – Check out 6 am – Reach Ahmedabad through Surat. - 800 kms.

Hope this looks OK.

============

Anuj,

Tnx for that information. Yes, I drive a Scorpio, will try to bargain hard, with the Diwali crowd there, its going to be pretty expensive.

You went from Bangalore? Which route did you take?

--Ramky

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 28th August 2008 at 20:05.
Old 29th August 2008, 10:57   #5
BHPian

HI there,

I would rather warn you on MP road conditions and driving irregularities. Though many roads now are in better shape what they were some years ago. Indore to pachmari via bhopal should be in good condition and i just hope that it is maintained atleast.

Try to avoid getting into Indore city if you have no intention to some places in Indore itself. There is a ring road which will connect you to AB (agra-bombay) road , while coming from omkareshwar. Driving in Indore is terrible, you will surely be confused whether u r driving in India or USA. Ppl drive from both the side in both the directions on most of the roads.
BTW pune is not far behind in that

Hey visiting kahna great place I must say. But its not the correct time for tiger sightings. Mostly possible in May.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
3. Is 1 1/2 days sufficient @ Panchmari, is there much to see?
4. Is there a good hotel at Bedaghat, I think its 60 km from Jabalpur.
7. Road conditions
========
I've not been to Bhedaghat or Pachmarhi for a long time, but since no one has come forth with information about these, thought let me state whatever I know.

3. 1.5 days may or may not be a rush, depending on how much time you spend at each place. If you like falls, don't miss Bee and Silver. Dhoopgarh is nice too for the sunset. When I went there last, the road uphill was a little tricky with loose boulders and all. Should be good fun, but...., they may not allow diesel vehicles...
4. Bhedaghat is not 60km from Jabalpur, it is about 30. So you can very well stay at JBP. I think there is a hotel in Bhedaghat as well, Marble rock or something... I dont how good is that. Ask some Jabalpuria bretheren. If possible, do make it a point to visit bhedaghat on a moon-lit night.
7. NH-7 was in pretty decent condition in april. It is nowhere as bad as what it was earlier
Old 29th August 2008, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

omkareshwar has NOTHING to see besides the temple saab, but nice decent place all the same.

I suggest you take the chota udepur route which goes along the narmada or such. ahd-indore was HORRIBLE in sept 05 once past the Guj border.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I've not been to Bhedaghat or Pachmarhi for a long time, ..............

4. Bhedaghat is not 60km from Jabalpur, it is about 30. So you can very well stay at JBP. I think there is a hotel in Bhedaghat as well, Marble rock or something... I dont how good is that. Ask some Jabalpuria bretheren. If possible, do make it a point to visit bhedaghat on a moon-lit night.

7. NH-7 was in pretty decent condition in april. It is nowhere as bad as what it was earlier
Thanks SU for the inforamtion, I think Jabalppur is the best option.

Quote:

I would rather warn you on MP road conditions and driving irregularities. ...........

Try to avoid getting into Indore city if you have no intention to some places in Indore itself. There is a ring road which will connect you to AB (agra-bombay) road , while coming from omkareshwar. Driving in Indore is terrible, you will surely be confused whether u r driving in India or USA. Ppl drive from both the side in both the directions on most of the roads. BTW pune is not far behind in that

Hey visiting kahna great place I must say. But its not the correct time for tiger sightings. Mostly possible in May.
1000 horses, thanks for the information.

I have to stay in Indore due to many reasons, will plan for lots of spare time to get in and out. MY GPS is pretty good with Indore maps, will use it extensively to get in and out.

Will the Kanha WLS be open during this time?

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 29th August 2008 at 11:48.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, it opens from 1st October. I wanted to inform you about this but did not do so as you travel is planned in last October.

Quote:
Anuj,

Tnx for that information. Yes, I drive a Scorpio, will try to bargain hard, with the Diwali crowd there, its going to be pretty expensive.

You went from Bangalore? Which route did you take?
I went to Kanha from Nagpur. Before Bangalore I was staying in Nagpur. I exactly not remembering road as I went in CAB and it was some 4 years back. But It is from Nagpur - Seoni and then some right towards Kanha.

I also want to inform you that there are two gates for Kanha. In one gate no resort or hotels are there. Other gate is some 40 Kms away (it goes through some jungle and country side very bad road then) from that where all the resorts and hotels are there. During our trip we missed some turn and reached to other gate. It is bit confusing, please enquire about it while travelling.

Also, along with Gypsy you have to take one Guide from forest department.

There is also MP Tourism Guesthouse there inside Jungle. Other (private) resorts are bit far away from Jungle (8 - 10 Kms). If you stay in that MP Toursims guesthouse, then you always see Deers, Sambar, Bisons grazing near guest house. But enquire about facilities there before you book.
Old 29th August 2008, 13:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Lovely MPDC hotel overlooking Bedeghat - better than staying in Jabalpur. Coming from Bedghat, you need not enter Jabalpur city (big mess!) since you intersect NH7 before the city entry itself - left to Katni, Rewa, Varanasi, and right to Seoni, Nagpur.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ramky, I had helped one of my freinds drive from Bombay to Kanha recently, and he shared with me his log book of that trip - which is attached.

He took the Bombay-Nasik-Dhulia-Jalgaon-Khamgaon-Akola-Amaravathi-Nagpur-Seoni-Kanha route on onward journey and returned via Seoni-Nagpur-Wardha-Yeotmal-Karanja-Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Malshej Ghat-Bombay route on return.

You will find useful info on route, road conditions in the log book. Road conditions have improved since then on Amaravathi-Nagpur route.

Please bear in mind that hotels are spread across different parts of the Kanha WLS's periphery and please decide your last mile accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Travel_Log_-_Bbay-Kanha-Bbay(1).xls (132.0 KB, 548 views)
Old 29th August 2008, 22:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ramky, I had helped one of my freinds drive from Bombay to Kanha recently, and he shared with me his log book of that trip - which is attached.

Please bear in mind that hotels are spread across different parts of the Kanha WLS's periphery and please decide your last mile accordingly.
Thanks a lot, whole lot of useful information all over that excel sheet.

Anymore updates / information from MP TBHPers on options around Kanha WLS? Some people prefer Bandavgarh since tiger spotting chances are better there, some say Kanha is best, wonder what's ideal? There are lots of choices for stay in both the places.

=Ramky

============
Old 4th September 2008, 12:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1000 horses, thanks for the information.

I have to stay in Indore due to many reasons, will plan for lots of spare time to get in and out. MY GPS is pretty good with Indore maps, will use it extensively to get in and out.

--Ramky
Sorry for late reply. Well moving in indore wont be a problem as u will always be able to get help from locals . Just that traffic is extremely irritating.

yes Khana WLS will open during that time. I travelled long back from jabalpur to khana via Mandla, road was fantastic. No idea how it is now.

Sighting a tiger is pure luck especially in this season. May/June it would be lot easier.
Old 4th September 2008, 15:55   #14
BHPian

Hey ramky,

We did a trip to MP in June. Route from BPL - P'MRHI - JBL are very good. Although its single lane but the surface is quite good and traffic minimal. Post monsoon things might have changed.

I'd suggest you to spend atleast 2 nights in P'marhi. That will give you 2 1/2 days for sight seeing. Its an amazing hill station different from the usual places north. You'd enjoy spending time at various places there. Will give the exact details should you require.

Bhedaghat is 15-20 kms from Jabalpur. There is absolutely nothing to do in Jabalpur. On way from Panchmarchi stop enroute at Bhedaghat. Spend the evening there. You can do boating as well ( mini - Niagra style ) and proceed to a hotel in Jabalpur. Next day you can leave for Khana.

Naman

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks