Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Cherai Beach Resort - reviews wanted

Has anyone been to the Cherai Beach Resort?

TripAdvisor has mixed reviews for the place with some saying it is in dire need of maintenance and some find it pleasant.

Most people think the location is their biggest advantage.

Other places nearby that I've seen mentioned are the Sealine Beach Resort and Fort Royale (although that's on Fort Kochi and not exactly on the beach).

Could someone help me with the following requirements:

1) Looking for a resort near Cherai beach/Fort Kochi.
Would LOVE to have rooms with stilts or build on islets, basically, surrounded by water. Cherai Beach Resorts had some that fit the bill, so was tempted by it before reading the reviews.
2)Budget 3500-4000 INR inclusive of taxes per night for a double occupancy room.
3) Also, anyone know of any reasonably priced, not too posh necessarily but safe and comfy houseboat options near Allepey for an overnight cruise?

Would really appreciate any helpful inputs/pointers.
Old 5th September 2008, 15:27   #2
BHPian

Hi Sidkun,
I have only nice things to say about Cherai beach resort. I was there on new years for 15 days and the experience was unforgettable. For me what makes that place so special is the personalized service and the amazing location. The food is great too. There is a massage center accessible by boat. The weather was very pleasant in Jan. That's one thing I can't say about now.
Best, dMH
Old 5th September 2008, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a beautiful place. How far is it from bangalore? Will keep an eye on this thread
Old 7th September 2008, 09:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

SidKun, Cherai was/maybe still is a good beach, I used to visit some 7-8 years ago with my then GF, to get away from the hustle and bustle of Kochi. That time, there was not much facilities, but I am sure it has improved now. Maybe one of the locals can comment.

Regarding Aleppey, there are no night cruises, AFAIK. It is forbidden, I was told. If at all you could find one, that would be by bribing some guy to violate laws and it is not going to come cheap. What they usually do is, cruise during the day and then park before sunset. The one we hired wasn't really worth the money, we were parked most of the time rather than cruising.

Pricing depends on season and the boat. The best furnished ones come at exhorbitant costs, but all boats have to maintain a minimum standards, so you can expect decent comfort. It is always safe, have no doubts about that.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:08   #5
BANNED

Don't worry, there are lots of safe hotels that suits your budget.

You can get comfortable house boats@Allepey.

But, these days we are having heavy downpours, here at Kerala. But come, you can have a good Onam Sadhya !
Old 9th September 2008, 14:17   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Well, by overnight cruise I didn't mean actually cruising at night....mooring to the coast at night is fine by me.....just wanted to spend one day/night in houseboats.

Seems also that not many folks have stayed at Sealine Beach Resort, so maybe I'll focus more on the Cherai Beach Resort.

Is staying at a place that's on Fort Kochi a good idea? I mean, from the point of view of scenery/location etc.
Old 9th September 2008, 14:27   #7
BANNED

The current condition of Cherai beach resort is not very good and I'd take a look before I book my rooms. Maintenance is long overdue. And the recent rough rains have made it worse. There were leaks in the main building too.
That's what I saw about a month (or so) back.

There're many houseboat operators who has license for 24 hours packages. You can check in by 10-11am, have a luscious lunch, a relaxing siesta, wonderful sunset with your favourite drink on hand, typical Kerala dinner etc.. The boat will anchor at the open kaayal in the night. Morning, you can get a massage if needed and be back at town by 10am or so. It's a very good experience.
The only thing worrying is the rain. Many boats are locked at this time and you'll have to reconfirm if they're operating or not.

Anyway, welcome to Kerala!
Old 9th September 2008, 14:41   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the info, speedzak.

Do you have any suggestions for any particular resort on Cherai Beach, then.... as also for a decent, not-too-expensive houseboat. AC or non AC should be fine both for the resort and the houseboat.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Has anyone been to the Cherai Beach Resort?

1) Looking for a resort near Cherai beach/Fort Kochi.
Would LOVE to have rooms with stilts or build on islets, basically, surrounded by water. Cherai Beach Resorts had some that fit the bill, so was tempted by it before reading the reviews.
2)Budget 3500-4000 INR inclusive of taxes per night for a double occupancy room.
3) Also, anyone know of any reasonably priced, not too posh necessarily but safe and comfy houseboat options near Allepey for an overnight cruise?

Would really appreciate any helpful inputs/pointers.
My Ancestral house is in Cherai . I went to Cherai beach resort last sunday for dinner. It is a good place but IMHO its overpriced... offseason prices are btwn 2000 rs and 4.5k... which is pretty steep. I have visited cherai beach, almost every year, over the last 20 years.. in my summer vacations i.e.. the beach is just a shadow of its former self... but it is still better than the beach at fort kochi.

if u insist on staying by the sea, then there is another option for you.. bolghatty palace... has rooms on stilts with great view of the cochin harbour in sunset.. The pricing is within your buget too
Bolgatty Palace

if you want to be at cherai only (mind you, all the other major tourist spots are closer to bolgaty than cherai.. except kotayil kovilakam which is closer to cherai) then you can try a new hotel which is about 2 kms from the beach.. on the main road right after cherai devasvom junction.. Its run by VGP group and then there is another on the approach road to the beach.. on the left handside.. called "kadaloram beach resort".. if my memory serves me right.. it has lake view rooms.. and looked pretty good to me from outside.

oh and the Cherai Beach resort doesnt really have any rooms on the beach.. cos there is a road in front of the resort and then the beach.. hope that gives you an idea...

backwater cruise @ alleppey.. again if my memory serves me right, i got one for 3500/- a day, same time last year.. i can dig up the number if you want..

cheers...

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th September 2008 at 22:11. Reason: Font tags
Old 13th September 2008, 22:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sidkun,

Around 3 months back, we did an official party @ Cheerain resort for some customers, they complained about the rooms, specially maintenance, turned out to be a bad experience.

During the rainy season, Kerala costal hotel rates comes down pretty low, will give you some options when I hit back my HO on 18th. You'd end up getting great properties at low rates / packages now.

Boats would be plenty, its off season for them now. There are some travalogues here of Samurai with lots of information about houseboats etc., with contact details, don't remember date and thread header; if you search for his posts on the travalogue section you'd hit pay-dirt.

Happy Hunting,

--Ramky
--------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 13th September 2008 at 22:26.
Old 9th October 2008, 17:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Cherai Beach Resort - reviews wanted-cherai.jpg
Here is a view of Cherai. My daughter loves it. The beach is clean but the road around it is not.

Got talking to a family from Bangalore who mentioned that the food and service in Cherai beach resort sucked although the rooms were okay

Below is a pic of thefishing nets in the backwater as you enter Cherai

Cherai Beach Resort - reviews wanted-cheraifush.jpg
Old 9th October 2008, 22:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
if u insist on staying by the sea, then there is another option for you.. bolghatty palace... has rooms on stilts with great view of the cochin harbour in sunset.. The pricing is within your buget too
Bolgatty Palace
Ahh Bolgatty!. I spent a few days there with my young bride many moons ago. Suddenly feel like returning after I read your post!
How is the place now? I remember it as being pleasantly laidback and slightly rundown, but we didn't really care!
Old 10th October 2008, 00:21   #13

There are some nice resorts near the beach in alappuzha, especially around mararikkulam. You should look through those too.
Old 10th October 2008, 09:21   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Ahh Bolgatty!. I spent a few days there with my young bride many moons ago. Suddenly feel like returning after I read your post!
How is the place now? I remember it as being pleasantly laidback and slightly rundown, but we didn't really care!
Palace building is impressive, gardens around a bit filthy due to public walking in and leaving garbage. watch out for golf balls flying around early morning. bolgatty has lost its character ever since the road has come in. The boat ride gave it character!
Old 12th October 2008, 10:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Palace building is impressive, gardens around a bit filthy due to public walking in and leaving garbage. watch out for golf balls flying around early morning. bolgatty has lost its character ever since the road has come in. The boat ride gave it character!
Oh, so there's a bridge now. I remember the ferry, risible price of 10 paise per ticket (1991)!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks