Team-BHP - Mumbai to Gir Bike run
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai to Gir Bike run (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/45483-mumbai-gir-bike-run.html)

Hi i was planning a mumbai to Gir Lion sanctuary run on my bike in the winters (keeps my bike cooler and happier) was lookin for some routing advice.
Plan to make a day break in Baroda to catch some family too.
Bombay Baroda looks like a simple enuff route
My Q was
1)Does anyone know how the condition of the SH6/SH8 is.
2) Is it better to catch NH8 via AHD RKT and then to Gir
3) Is it better to catch SH6/8 from Baroda/Borsad/Tarapur/Bagodara and then join NH8
Any help/advice wud be appreciated
Thanks

SH6/8 is the preferred route via Borsad, Tarapur and Bagodara. I have no idea of the current condition, but this route does not get normally damaged during the rains. Had you not been on a bike, i would have suggested going via Ahmedabad since you have the speed advantage of the Baroda-A'Bad expressway and the Sardar Patel Ring Road to bypass A'Bad to reach Sarkhej on the Rajkot road.

Both are fine.

SH6/8 are lovely interior roads and get typical ok rainfall as gujarat. but no clue this year man! Do ping kunal_thefuhrer. he just did palitana from surat which is the same route.

and its anyday more fun/easier for a biker.

As long as the RVM doesn't show a 4 legged creature with flowing mane following you with a wide grin and smacking lips..:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 971199)
Both are fine.

SH6/8 are lovely interior roads and get typical ok rainfall as gujarat. but no clue this year man! Do ping kunal_thefuhrer. he just did palitana from surat which is the same route.

and its anyday more fun/easier for a biker.

Thanks Guys
HV i had a quick Q about your statement about being on a bike
am on a fast bike relatively, which cruises at 120-140 at half throttle :)
does it still make sense to go via the interiors or will the speed on the NH8 ofset the dist on the SH6/8
Thanks

PS can anyone guide me the procedure to ping
do i have to have some number of posts before i can do that ?

Bikes are not allowed on the Baroda-A'bad expressway, and NH8 via Anand, Nadiad is congested. Makes more sense to turn off NH8 at Vasad (20 kms from Baroda) and go via Borsad, Tarapur, avoiding A'Bad totally. Roads are very good.

To send a Private Message to anyone, click against his Name and you will see the menu options for sending a PM.

Thanks once again

PS found a site called mapmyindia which offered good road resolution maps.

I was wondering whether the Ahmedabad - Baroda expressway is also not allowed for two wheelers like Pune expressway, but Kumar sir has just confirmed on that.

As KumarSir suggested, you can get off the NH8 at Vasad and then take Vasad >> Borsad >> Tarapur chokdi (crossroads) >> Bagodara (get onto NH8A here) >> Limdi >> Rajkot (while entering Rajkot, take the flyover / road with Gondal signboard, dont need to enter the town and you will be on Gondal Road / NH8B immediately) >> Gondal >> Jetput >> Sasan (Junagadh)

I guess you have plan to go around the sanctury so you gotta go to Sasan where they have got Sinh darsha, where forest folks will take you for safar. Village people says they are big dogs, not lions, if you want to see the King, you should go around some villages around, if you have time, see if you can accomodate TulsiShyam and / OR Diu also, that route is really nice for bike and goes thru Dhari and some other villages,, on the way to TulsiShyam there are high probabilities that you get to see the King.

Okay, I just remember that you are going to use a fast bike, that may not give you full pleasure on these village routes. I ride RoyalEnfield and I would have taken the following route.

Get off the NH8 at Karjan >> Padara >> Borsad OR the same route as aboe turning off at Vasad >> Borsad >> Tarapur chokdi (crossroads) >> Lothal (few KMs ahead of Bagodara, this should be an interesting place for few folks) >> Dhandhuka >> Jasdan >> Gondal (get onto NH8B here) >> Jetpur >> Junagadh / Sasan

You should take the first route and not the second one, second goes thru all village areas and not a fast route. However, one get to see the real saurashtra villages around while travelling that route.

Again, all the villages around Junagadh are sheer pleasure to visit and ride around. I have a wish that I can go around all these villages / jungle area visiting all not so popular temples / ancient sculptures and ofcourse very close to nature on my RoyalEnfield or some Gurkha like vehicle that can take me all these places.

There are lots of places in and around Gir one can explore if really interested in nature, historical places and ancient culture.

If you are really interested to have a rare sight of the King, you should plan in summer time, when there is high probability of they coming out off the deep forest. There is this KankaiMata temple right in the middle of the forest, a nice place to stay a night (if you can get the permissions) where during the night you can definately see / hear Lions / other animals around the temple complex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketan (Post 975166)
Get off the NH8 at Karjan >> Padara >> Borsad OR the same route as aboe turning off at Vasad >> Borsad >> Tarapur chokdi (crossroads) >> Lothal (few KMs ahead of Bagodara, this should be an interesting place for few folks) >> Dhandhuka >> Jasdan >> Gondal (get onto NH8B here) >> Jetpur >> Junagadh / Sasan

Ketan, the Karjan-Padara-Borsad route is a good idea except that the roads in those parts are in a bad state - how is the condition now? Will cut down distance also. I remember I tried the route once, but was told hat the road from Amod to Padara was in bad shape even for a Scorpio.

I used Jambusar-Borsad route in my recent trip which was bad.So in return I used Wataman chokdi-Tarapur-Baroda-Ankleshwar route...My driver told me that Karjan-Padara-Borsad was in good state some months ago.not sure for current condition..

I have been to Gir 3 times..If you want sure view of Lion then Go to Devalia where forest department created a big cage of some kilometers and kept some lions there.
But if you have time then take the other option to check the whole sanctuary with local guide.

Devalia is a boring interpretation center 12 km before, and about 5km before sasan, a turnoff. half hour trip is there but boring. You can have that kinda stuff in mumbai :)

adventure mangta hai toh gypsy lo. pile on with other junta.

Thats correct, Devalia is where they have got the Lion safari where some animals are imprisioned. thats what the local folks consider as big cats or dogs, not Lions.

Borsad >> Padra >> Karjan was kind of narrow but okay road except couple very short patches where work is going on. I took at during May this year while returnig to Bangalore from Rajkot.

As I said, for the real Lion, you may have to spend some time in the villages around Sasan. I have been to my friends village where they get to see Lions visiting their farms / fields and their village streets few times a week. I wish I could have spent more than few hours there. Next time, I shall definately have those things in my plan.

I also have this Indhania Bunglow on my list that belogs to the royal family of the Jetpur state which used to be a favorite hunting lodge for royal family / british people and now converted to a guest house. Not sure if you have seen an episode on this place in mano ya na mano, they projected it to be some haunted house, some locals also talk similar things, but its nothing like that. It should be a real good experiance if you get to spend a coupe of night at that place.

thanks guys
for all the help and advice
speaking to a few other pepul for stay now and shall start plannin the trip soon
ketan i also ride a bullet and would love to take it but the bikes not so comfortable for a long distance 2 people ride :)
(even tho we tried once, me and wife road to goa last Nov)
so am gonna stick with the bigger one for this ride

Another Q :)

Does anyone have any advice on a good place to fill unadulterated fuel along these roads

On way to kelwa long ago on my bullet i had an engine seizure courtesy bad fuel

Okay, so what is that bigger one?
I beleive, bullet is the most comfy for highways / long rides. Its indeed not for the pillion unless you make some changes to the pillion seat.

@Anant, I have not yet got enough time to send an update to you, shall do that soon.