Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 14:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Best beach destination from Bangalore for a family outing?

Hi Guys,
Planning for a short weekend outing with my 1 yr old kid, wife and parents for 4-5th Jan. Initially I was thinking of going to Yercaud (it being quite a short drive)but I believe it will be quite cold then for my parents and they may not appreciate it much as my hometown is semi hill station. Please correct me If I am wrong.

Hence, I am again thinking of going to beach destination, ideally it should not be more than 6-7 hrs drive. I currently see only two options - Pondy & Mahabs. But I did Pondy couple of months back without my parents. I liked it and I guess they may love it too as there is Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville etc. But back to back same drive has me thinking of something slightly different and hence Mahabalipuram. Though I dont have much idea about this place, but seems like it has some heritage sites and decent beaches. May be beaches are better than ones at Pondy. I am not sure where to stay and good places to eat as it seems to be less documented than places like Pondy. Google map throws a quite straight fwd route but not sure if it is the one to be taken and how much is the time taken for actual drive.

There is another long weekend (3day )coming on Jan 20th which I think I should do Goa for sure as it has been our ritual to do it once a year barring last yr as my kid was too young. But I was just thinking if Gokarna makes more sense from drive, driving time, stay options and beaches point of view. (Good food are a given in such destination?) We have also been Kovalam (as part of Kerala road trip from Mumbai) which we loved and wanted to go back to explore more but not sure of the drive time now visavis other options. Also, if I do Goa some friends from other places Mumbai/Delhi may be able to join us but not other places but that's the last consideration on my mind. Also, guys Goa has usually been North Goa for us as it has everything so please consider that as well.

Please help.

Last edited by WheelWake : 11th December 2013 at 14:42. Reason: edit the write up
WheelWake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 14:55   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from Pondy all other places you mentioned are more than 7 hours drive from Bangalore.
You can check out KA coast also. Udupi, Ankola etc have good beaches. My colleagues went to Honey beach resort in Ankola 2 weeks back and were having good reviews about the place. Though on TripAdvisor the reviews are mixed.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 19:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,
Planning for a short weekend outing with my 1 yr old kid, wife and parents for 4-5th Jan. Initially I was thinking of going to Yercaud (it being quite a short drive)but I believe it will be quite cold then for my parents and they may not appreciate it much as my hometown is semi hill station. Please correct me If I am wrong.

There is another long weekend (3day )coming on Jan 20th which I think I should do Goa for sure as it has been our ritual to do it once a year barring last yr as my kid was too young. But I was just thinking if Gokarna makes more sense from drive, driving time, stay options and beaches point of view.

Please help.
Yercaud will be cold but not as cold as Ooty. It is manageable.

I havent been to Mahabalipuram oflate but it is a must visit. I have been there 4-5 times but the most recent was in 2011. We stayed at TTDC and the hotel was lousy but had access to an almost private beach and that was a big plus. It is a world heritage site and should be a big hit with your parents.

One beach destination we loved was Kannur beach, some harris hotel. It was pretty quiet and almost private beach like. Another option to explore is Devbagh resort or the greatoutdoors at karwar. Both are highly worth visiting. I liked the greatoutdoors more since it is an island (kurumgad), unlink the devbagh resort. The beach is better at devbagh, than at greatoutdoors.

Karwar and Kannur are slightly out of the 6-7 hour window. Karwar isnt much further from Gokarna.
Old 11th December 2013, 20:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Please help.
Would suggest you go through the first few posts on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ight-meet.html
Old 12th December 2013, 07:32   #35
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

How about going to Marari Beach near Alleppey or to Varkala Beach near Kollam or to Kudle Beach in Gokarna? Then there is the amazing Floating Palms resort in Poovar near Kovalam and the amazing Devbagh Beach resort too.
Old 18th December 2013, 23:13   #36
BHPian

Just completed a trip to Murudeshwar from Bangalore.

Stayed at the RNS Residency Suite room with 2 side sea view. Amazing experience.

Did Beach drive on my Ride and also tried out Water Scooter, boat rides.

Best beach destination from Bangalore for a family outing?-xuv3.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks