Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 10:54   #76
mvp
BHPian

Re: Need suggestion on stay at Manali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.

In between one of my friend's cousin who is working in makemytrip has given the following quote for the manali trip from Delhi. Even though I asked for the conveyance and accommodation at Manali they gave the quote for the entire trip i.e., including local sight seeing in Delhi which will be taken care by my uncle.

Many thanks,
Bharathi
Congrats! Bharathi. You could consider hiring a cab for the entire trip from Delhi airport and back. If you choose so, proceed directly on the first day, from airport to Shimla and stay over enroute to Shimla.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:50   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post
Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.

In between one of my friend's cousin who is working in makemytrip has given the following quote for the manali trip from Delhi. Even though I asked for the conveyance and accommodation at Manali they gave the quote for the entire trip i.e., including local sight seeing in Delhi which will be taken care by my uncle.
There was some talk earlier about outstation cabbies not being allowed into Manali by the association. Though they eventually relented but did make it an issue. It was in the Leh guide I believe.

Since you already have someone in Delhi who can help you with local sightseeing, I would advice you to take a HPTDC Volvo from Delhi to Manali and back. At Manali, hire a local cab to visit the nearby places.
Old 8th May 2014, 17:23   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'd be wary of the word 'similar'! Therein lies the catch, all too often!
Please get a guarantee on the exact hotel and then go ahead and book the tour.
Precisely.
They switch hotels in a moment. The issue is that the parent company in the hospitality business will have a contract with e-tourism retailers such as MMT. The parent company will usually have multiple properties under its belt. Now in the MMT site, they will give photos of their flagship property, but they will actually offer rooms of a certain category - which may or may not be on the flagship property.

Now, which buyer will go and check that deluxe category of room in flagship property is the same as in a different property? And that's exactly how they milk the customer. Because they sell the flagship property rooms at a higher rate to someone else (perhaps even outside MMT). Most buyers, in this situation, will avoid harassment, and opt to settle down in a room with marginally less amenities, or a slightly poorer location. After all, who wants to ruin a holiday?

The only way to be sure, is to have it written down to the T which specific hotel / houseboat you will be in. Otherwise , it is possible they will pull this on you! Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by joybhowmik : 8th May 2014 at 17:25.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 03:37   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
Thank you for the response, my Plan A is to travel Pune to Mumbai and then catch a flight to Chandigarh (stay a day or two in Chd. visit Wagha border and golden temple, enjoy the Punjabi cuisine in Punjab) and then head to Manali via a Volvo bus and spend around 3-4 days in Manali.

The return plan is to take a bus from Manali to Chd., fly back to Mumbai and finally Home in Pune.
Do you think all this is doable in a week's time? By any chance do you have travelogue of our trip.

Mod's please delete the post it in case you find the information posted is irrelevant.

I don't know what is my fixation with Punjab. Have heard so much about the land, people and the food, that it is simply irresistible.

mmxylorider (you handle reads very regal).
Hi ritzvxi,
I can advise on going from Pune till the points you are planning but completely unaware regarding stay options (they have been eloquently shared by other members in the threads o it would help). I have had numerous trips from Pune to Delhi and Chandigarh and can give you insight into this route.

In my view, going to Mumbai and coming back from Mumbai is not a good idea.

Various practical reasons for that.

i) Mumbai (BOM) - Chandigarh (IXC) flights frequency is not very high (probably only 6-7 non stop flights as of now) and it costs much higher as compared to Pune (PNQ) -Delhi (DEL) (total 11 non-stop flights and maybe more now and pretty cheap). Still, Pune (PNQ) - Chandigarh (IXC) non stop flight has not been started by any airline either (I believe there is tremendous potential on this route if services start).
ii) To catch a flight at Mumbai domestic airport, you would need to start at least 7-8 hours before the flight departure time which virtually wastes a day. Remember, catching a departing flight from another town is a very very risky option as well as time consuming. During return no problems as you can just relax even if you are caught in traffic jam, etc.
iii) Catching an Air India or Jet Airways flight would take you to IGI T-3 at Delhi which has a direct airport line connecting to New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS) and you'll reach in flat 25-30 minutes once in the train. The Airport Metro Express is truly world class and a must-experience thing in Delhi in my view. There are 2/3 shatabdis from NDLS throughout a day for Chandigarh and Amritsar both.
iv) Evaluating both, Pune - Mumbai - Chandigarh and Pune - Delhi - Chandigarh, I think the latter is worth opting for. Spend time relaxed in a Shatabdi train or in dhabas along the great Grand Trunk Road (GT road) rather than on Mumbai - Pune expressway, fearful of Mumbai traffic and fear at the back of your mind of missing flight on seeing every new congestion that you see!

Plenty of options from Delhi to Manali, Amritsar/Wagah border, Leh etc, once you are there. Also, you have many things to do in Delhi if you have plans for a long vacation.

Hope this helps.

As a sidenote, you may also try doing the entire stretch in your car! Would be a worth remembering road trip for lifetime.
Old 3rd December 2016, 17:41   #80
BHPian

Amazing Himalayan Homestay Experience Near Naggar (Manali, Himachal)

Disclaimer:- I am in no way associated with this place. Its just that I feel that more people on forums like this should be aware of the hidden gems like this homestay.

I had driven down to Manali from Delhi for a few peaceful days in the solitude of the Himalayas. The intent was to stay as far away from Manali town as possible, and yet enjoy the beautiful vistas of the valley. Thats when I chanced upon one Mr Vijay, the owner of the homestay that I am going to write about. One look and me and my wife fell in love with the place. The sheer beauty and serenity of the place are difficult for me to put down in words. I have travelled a lot in Himachal and Uttarakhand, and I always make it a point to stay in homestays that give a true local flavour of the place. But this place was by far the most beautiful that I have come across. Its the kind of place I feel would be perfect for writers to just gather their thoughts and pen them down.

The Homestay

For beginners, this homestay would be fancied by those who love the Himalayas and ever so often keep on getting the urge to head back to the high hills, but find popular tourist places too crowded and commercialized.
Its located about 6-7 kms from Naggar on the road towards Jana Waterfalls (you would find Jana Waterfalls on google). From the Naggar –Jana road, there’s a detour of about a km or so to this place.

It’s an isolated property away from hum and drum of even the Himalayan villages. The location is picturesque and almost straight out of some story book.

The property itself is large with an area of more than an acre or so. There are apple trees, a few fields and a beautiful sitting area within the premises. Beyond these are the beautiful deodar forests. Sitting in the balcony, you would get a beautiful view of the Himalayan ranges in front, which are covered in snow from Dec to Apr / May.

The building itself is done completely in the traditional local style, with interiors finished in wood. There are two rooms, both having comfortable mattresses for sleeping on. Wood is in abundant supply and a Sigri would keep you comfortable in those cold winter nights.

Toilet is nice and clean with running hot / cold water. There’s a kitchen where you could cook yourself, or the cook arranged by the owner would do the needful for you.

Caveats

The last km detour to this homestay from the Naggar – Jana road is a kutcha stretch. Most vehicles would not be able to ply on this stretch. Best option is to park your car near this detour (which is safe, as I had also parked my car for 3 nights), and finish the last km stretch on the owners humble but very capable Maruti 800.

Tariff

I was charged 1000 Rs per person per night, inclusive of breakfast and dinner. I personally felt it was absolutely worth the amazing experience that I had.

Contact Details

The owner is Mr Vijay, available on 9882268167.

PS

If you do intend staying here, don’t forget to travel 5 kms further to Jana Waterfalls for the lip smacking Pahari food served by a Dhabha run by local village women there. Trust me, I have never had better Pahari food like Siddu, Lingar vegetables, Rajma rice and makki ki roti anywhere else.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-1-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-2-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-3-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-5-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-6-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-7-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-8-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-9-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-10-11.jpg  

Need suggestion on stay at Manali-z-4-11.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:08   #81
BHPian

Re: Amazing Himalayan Homestay Experience Near Naggar (Manali, Himachal)

Seems like a great place and precisely what we would like when wandering. How many rooms are there?
Old 3rd December 2016, 18:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Seems like a great place and precisely what we would like when wandering. How many rooms are there?
There are two rooms. One on the first floor having two beds (mattresses on wooden floor) and a sigri (fireplace). The other one is on the second floor, with stairs going up from within the room on first floor itself. This one has three mattresses. The washroom is on the first floor.

Last edited by nvldvr : 3rd December 2016 at 18:16. Reason: Missed typing a word
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 14:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Looks lovely. Thanks for sharing and letting us know. When I go up to Naggar, will make it a point to stay here.

I am back from a trip to the Terai, already feeling the urge to head to the Himalayas. Lol.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 4th December 2016 at 14:33.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:30   #84
BHPian

Re: Need suggestion on stay at Manali

Manali is faaar! Took a HRTC regular AC on the way and a private service Volvo on the way back. its about 12-13 hours one (from Sonepat). Would recommend taking a Volvo only. The roads aren't great especially the second half in Himachal.
Spent 3 days in Manali. Stayed the first night in a lovely Airbnb in a place called Haripur. Property was called Holidays Club. It was negotiated to 2750 a night. But it was 17 kms away from main Manali. Moved into Moustache Hostel in old Manali for the next two nights. Very well located, walking distance from all the popular cafes. They have private rooms on the top floor about 1500ish per night. Great value, no frills. Not a family place. No commercial interest in either. Hope this helps!
Old 4th October 2022, 21:48   #85

Re: Need suggestion on stay at Manali

Friends - bumping up this thread again. I am looking to visit Manali with family - Wifey, Parents and 1 kid. Plan is to drive from Delhi. Need decent hotel suggestions closer to tourist attractions with parking facility. Thanks.

Most Viewed