Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 14:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Check out the following which has the detailed route profile for Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Palani-Salem-Bangalore

http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...Palani-Blr.xls
Old 28th September 2010, 01:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Check out the following which has the detailed route profile for Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Palani-Salem-Bangalore

http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...Palani-Blr.xls
The moment I saw this excel sheet, I went like What the... How did Kumar sir manage this...

As for starting at 330 am or 4 am, you should hit Kodai by around 10 AM if you drive like mad or by 11 AM in a relaxed mode.

There are no god eating options beyond A2B before Krishnagiri and the middle of night time you start from Bangalore, I am sure you will pass A2B well before breakfast time.

Almost all the towns you will go on a bypass. Just at Salem look out for the boards that say madurai / namakkal

At Dindugal, look out for the exit wwhich says Kodaikanal and you need to go alongside 2 flyovers on the service lane to get the batlagundu / theni road. If you reach Batlagundu early, then stop for breakfast at Sapeeti (under some rajasthani guy's contract last I went there) He doesnt serve north indian food neither good south indian, Atleast the toilets are clean. The kids will like the rabbits and geese. After that it is a breeze to Kodai but beware of weekend speed busters in cars and two wheelers

Return also follow the same route. The NH7 is a driver's paradise except the stretch from Dindugal to south TN as the local two wheelers. cyclers, etc have to learn the concept of not coming on the wrong lane on the wrong side (Near the median)
Enjoy your stay. Not sure about the hotel as I usually free board at my wife's grand father's place
Best regards
Bala
Old 27th May 2011, 14:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Not sure if you took the trip and more recent update. I am planning a trip from BLR to Kodai. Need help in finding out which route will be better

1. Take NH7 till Kodai Road and then take the right to Kodaikanal
2. Take NH7 till Dhindukkal and then take NH45 and then the Ghat road

Considering time it will take, road quality, distance and Scenic.
Old 8th August 2011, 10:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Not sure if you took the trip and more recent update. I am planning a trip from BLR to Kodai. Need help in finding out which route will be better

1. Take NH7 till Kodai Road and then take the right to Kodaikanal
2. Take NH7 till Dhindukkal and then take NH45 and then the Ghat road

Considering time it will take, road quality, distance and Scenic.
I don't know if it's too late. I tried two routes to Kodaikanal in the past 2 months. First time I tried the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai route and is fantastic. It should take you just about 6 hours from Bangalore to Dindigul. On my second trip, I tried to avoid the tolls and took the Palakode-Pennagaram-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai is good too. Other than the Mettur-Bhavani stretch, the roads are nice and smooth all the way and shorter by 20 Kms or so. But of course, you will have to drive through several small towns and will take an hour longer. But if you start early in the morning, should be fun to drive. And you get to avoid ALL the tolls.
Old 17th November 2011, 10:45   #35
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Velankanni from bangalore next month. Anyone has any update on the road conditions.
I could see 3 routes:
1. Bangalore --> Krishnagiri --> Thiruvannamalai -->chidambaram --> Karaikal --> velankanni(430 Kms)
2. Bangalore --> Salem --> Attur -->Virudhachalam -->Karaikal --> velankanni(480 Kms)
3. Bangalore --> Salem --> thiruchirappally --> Tanjavur --> Velankanni(487 kms)

Which woule be the best of these 3 roads?

I am planning for 10th of Dec and return on 11th. Is it necessary to book a room in advance, or we can just get a room once we reach there?
Old 17th November 2011, 10:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
I am planning a trip to Velankanni from bangalore next month. Anyone has any update on the road conditions.
I could see 3 routes:
1. Bangalore --> Krishnagiri --> Thiruvannamalai -->chidambaram --> Karaikal --> velankanni(430 Kms)
2. Bangalore --> Salem --> Attur -->Virudhachalam -->Karaikal --> velankanni(480 Kms)
3. Bangalore --> Salem --> thiruchirappally --> Tanjavur --> Velankanni(487 kms)

Which woule be the best of these 3 roads?
I prefer Route #3. From Salem, take the Namakkal-Thuraiyur (bypass)-Trichy route, better roads and also bypasses Trichy too.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:05   #37
BHPian

Not sure of routes 1 and 2 as I am told the rains have played havoc on roads in TN Delta region. Your best bet would be option 3 which is 4 laned on most of the stretch.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 11:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I prefer Route #3. From Salem, take the Namakkal-Thuraiyur (bypass)-Trichy route, better roads and also bypasses Trichy too.
Thank you HVK sir and DWind.

Where in salem do we take the Namakkal-Thuraiyur (bypass)? Is it at 5 roads junction in salem?

Does this road take us from Salem through namakkal --> thuraiyur --> trichy?

I am familiar with Thuraiyur --> Trichy --> Tanjavur --> velankanni as i studied in thuraiyur for 4 years.
Old 17th November 2011, 11:58   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Thank you HVK sir and DWind.
Where in salem do we take the Namakkal-Thuraiyur (bypass)? Is it at 5 roads junction in salem?

Does this road take us from Salem through namakkal --> thuraiyur --> trichy?

I am familiar with Thuraiyur --> Trichy --> Tanjavur --> velankanni as i studied in thuraiyur for 4 years.

You have to continue on NH7 from Salem. (Taking Madurai exit).

Go about 50 km to hit Namakkal.
Here you get off NH7 and go into Namakkal town. Ask any one for Musiri road if you plan to go via Musiri or Thuraiyur SH if that is the case.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 10:32   #40
BHPian

Been to Velankanni this weekend.

Went through Musri and came back through Thuraiyur.
The road from Namakkal to Trichy through Musri is in a bad condition and took more than 2 hours to cover that stretch. Return journey through Thuraiyur was much more comfortable.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:36   #41
MCR
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Kodai. Please let me know the latest road conditions.

While going I plan to take the route :

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Kodaikanal.

While coming back I plan to take the following route :

Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipettai - Pollachi - Coimbatore - Mettupalayam - Ooty - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Bangalore

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:06   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Kodaikanal.
While coming back I plan to take the following route :
Kodaikanal - Palani - Udumalaipettai - Pollachi - Coimbatore - Mettupalayam - Ooty - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Bangalore

- Most sections are decent
- Do you plan to stay in Coimbatore? If not you will need a good by-pass option
- CBE-Mettupalayam-Ooty is heavy traffic section with lots of buses. Expect heavy coming at you.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2012 at 14:07.
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:51   #43
BHPian

One route to bye-pass Coimbatore and Tiruppur is Palani - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Utukuli - Chengapalli - Avinashi - Annur - Metupalayam. This route has Chengapali - Avainashi which is being 4 laned.

Another way is Palani - Udumalaipettai - Palladam (and ask for directions to reach Somanur where there is a small underpass for cars to cross the railway track) - Karumathampatti - Annur - Metupalayam. This needs a lot of stopping and asking questions.

The Udumalai - Pollachi - Coimbatore sees a lot of traffic and will bog you down with very few overtaking opportunities. It is a 2 lane road. Also, Coimbatore - Metupalayam sees very dense traffic.

Last edited by DWind : 22nd March 2012 at 14:55.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
One route to bye-pass Coimbatore and Tiruppur is Palani - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Utukuli - Chengapalli - Avinashi - Annur - Metupalayam. This route has Chengapali - Avainashi which is being 4 laned.

Another way is Palani - Udumalaipettai - Palladam (and ask for directions to reach Somanur where there is a small underpass for cars to cross the railway track) - Karumathampatti - Annur - Metupalayam. This needs a lot of stopping and asking questions.
My personal favorite is
Palani -Dharapuram - Palladam - 10th km on coimbatore road take right to somanur - karumathampatti - annur - metupalayam - kotagiri - dodabetta - ooty

avoids crazy summer traffic right upto ooty

and if you are traveling during end may / ooty summer festival, then check for sudden one ways springing up in and around ooty
best regards
bala
Old 28th March 2012, 10:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Any ideas on the road condition of the climb from palani to Kodai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks