Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 21:09   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
I know the usual route through Kodai - Dindigul - Trichy - Velankanni

But need advise on Kodai - Madurai - Pudukkottai - pattukotai - Velankanni through ECR...

Has anyone travelled along this route? Is this good to drive etc
I would say your usual route is much better and works out shorter as well. From Kodai taking Palani-Dindigul-Natham-Kottampatti-Karaikudi would be best. You'll avoid widening on Vathalagundu-Dindigul and most importantly you don't need to cross Madurai (which will alone take a solid hour atleast).

I know for sure Karaikudi-Devipattinam (on ECR) is very good, but that would be a long way to join ECR. Am not aware of the other routes connecting Karaikudi and ECR. ECR south of Nagapattinam was in mint condition when I first did on Oct '10, should'nt have deteriorated as there isn't much traffic on it anyway.

Pudukottai-Tirumayam is pathetic, so heading via Pudukottai is not a good option.
Old 26th September 2012, 21:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone travelled along this route? Is this good to drive etc
As said by narayan, it is better to take the Dindigul-Palani-Kodai route both ways instead of the usual Batlagundu route to avoid the pain of road widening. Also, better to avoid doing Madurai to save time unless if you really need to visit Madurai as well.
Old 27th September 2012, 17:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
As said by narayan, it is better to take the Dindigul-Palani-Kodai route both ways instead of the usual Batlagundu route to avoid the pain of road widening. Also, better to avoid doing Madurai to save time unless if you really need to visit Madurai as well.
Better use Kodai, Batlagundu, Kodai Road -Dindugal road, You can do better time than Palani route
Best regards
Bala
Old 27th September 2012, 17:22   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Better use Kodai, Batlagundu, Kodai Road -Dindugal road, You can do better time than Palani route
Best regards
Bala
+1. In both the case Palani or Dindigul, one one needs to get into Dindigul town.
Since the route via Kodai road is shorter, it makes sense to take this option.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:35   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1. In both the case Palani or Dindigul, one one needs to get into Dindigul town.
Since the route via Kodai road is shorter, it makes sense to take this option.
Okay sounds good, I will not take the madurai route and will go via dingual, trichy to velankanni.

What about road to Kodai from Dindagul...I am confused here.

Should I not take the road to Batlgundu?
Old 1st October 2012, 18:11   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph

The road to Dindigul from the Theni side does go via Batlagundu. Once you reach Baylagundu from Kodai you reach the Dindigul Theni NH. Now instead of taking that take the route to Kodai road where you join GQ and then come back to Dindigul. That is a much better option today.
Old 1st October 2012, 22:30   #82
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The road to Dindigul from the Theni side does go via Batlagundu. Once you reach Baylagundu from Kodai you reach the Dindigul Theni NH. Now instead of taking that take the route to Kodai road where you join GQ and then come back to Dindigul. That is a much better option today.
As explained by Amp, take the "Kodai Road" - this will join the NH7 GQ road a little ahead (towards Madurai) of the junction where the regular Batlagundu (old NH45) route would join. If you're confused, at Batlagundu ask for "Kodai Road" - this is also the train route with a railway station by the same name (Kodai Road).

Last edited by NPV : 1st October 2012 at 22:31.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:11   #83
HKP
BHPian

Drove to Kodaikanal from Bangalore and back during last weekend.
NH7 till Dindigul is super smooth and a real pleasure to drive. Dindigul -Bathlagundu road has lot of areas where the road work is going on and is in bad condition. It took more than 1.5 hours to cover as we could move only at snail pace behind trucks and buses during most part of this. Bathlagundu to Kodai ghat road is just fine though narrow in many parts. It took almost 10 hours with a break of 30 minutes for breakfast.

My nokia mobile GPS was able to guide me with voice directions while on the way whenever we got in doubt.

This was my first time driving on these roads and one major thing I noticed is the lack of proper eateries after salem. There are no decent restaurents on the road at all.

\\\hkp
Old 1st November 2012, 21:18   #84
BHPian

Drove from Hyderabad to Kodaikanal and back last week. The direct route from Dindigul to Bathlagundu is in a very bad shape. With rains, its even worse - slushy red mud most of the way.

Once the road widening is complete (may be in 6 months?), this should be a pleasure to drive on (going by the few stretches that have been completed). But for now, I would advise anyone going from Dindigul to Kodaikanal to avoid the direct route.

From Dindigul, go straight on NH7 towards Madurai and take the exit to Kodai Road (the exit is immediately after the first toll booth after Dindigul). This means an extra 15 kms or so as well as a Toll, but believe me, its well worth it!
vartakavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 21:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Drove from Hyderabad to Kodaikanal and back last week. The direct route from Dindigul to Bathlagundu is in a very bad shape. With rains, its even worse - slushy red mud most of the way.

Once the road widening is complete (may be in 6 months?), this should be a pleasure to drive on (going by the few stretches that have been completed). But for now, I would advise anyone going from Dindigul to Kodaikanal to avoid the direct route.

From Dindigul, go straight on NH7 towards Madurai and take the exit to Kodai Road (the exit is immediately after the first toll booth after Dindigul). This means an extra 15 kms or so as well as a Toll, but believe me, its well worth it!
Did you drive direct to Kodai without a stopover?What were your drive timings?
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:40   #86
BHPian

My wife and I drive from Hyderabad to Kodaikanal three or four times a year. We have an Innova and I never exceed 100kmph even on NH-7, so I am sure our timings can be bettered.

We usually drive from Hyderabad to Hosur (about 8 hours on NH7 to Devanahalli including two breaks, and then 2 hours to byepass Bangalore reaching Hosur directly). We stay overnight at Hosur, and from there, its about 6 hours to Dindigul on NH7. From Dindigul, we take about 2 hours to reach Kodaikanal. Totally about 18 hours drive with plenty of brakes as I drive alone. NH7 as you know is fantastic and except stretches such as Hosur - Krishnagiri (where road works and flyovers are under construction) and Salem byepass (its a byepass only in name - usually very congested), the traffic is relatively light and the driving is very comfortable. From Hyderabad to Kodaikanal is about 1050 kms on this route.

Occasionally, we have deviated from this route to visit Madanapalle (our ancestral village is nearby). From Anantapur, we take the NH to Kadiri and Madanapalle, stop there for a day or two, then reach Krishnagiri via Palamaner and Kuppam. Though two laned only, traffic is very light, the surface is good and this curvy and scenic route makes a good change from the monotonous NH7. Distance is about 100 kms more via this route.
vartakavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 09:16   #87
BHPian

Done Bangalore-Kodai-Bangalore last weekend.
Onward Journey :
Route: Bangalore(AECS Layout)-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Kodai Road-Nilakottai-Batlagundu-Kodai
Start Time - 04:05 AM
Reach Time - 12:00 Noon
Road conditions:
Bangalore(AECS Layout) to Hosur - Took the route AECS Layout-Kundanhalli Gate-Varathur-Dommasandra-Sarjapur-Attibele-Hosur. The road condition through this route was really nice this time. It took less than 30 minutes to reach Attiblele.
Hosur to Krishnagiri - Roads are bad near Hosur town. Lot of diversions because of the road widening work but the road condition is good.
Krishnagiri to Salem - Excellent
Salem to Karur - Excellent
Karur to Dindigul - Excellent
Dindigul to Kodai road - We did not take the direct Batlagundu route from Dindigul. Instead went straight towards Madurai, took the second right(Underneath the second flyover, sign board for Ammainaickanur) after the first toll booth in Dindigul-Madurai road.
Kodai Road to Batlagundu - Excellent TN state highway.
Batlagundu to Kodai - Roads are good in major portions. There are some bad patches while approaching Kodai town.
Return Journey :
Route: Kodai-Palani-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-Salem-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore
Start Time - 01:00 PM
Reach Time - 11:00 PM
Road conditions:
Kodai to Palani - Good roads with occasional bad patches. The roads are narrow in the Ghat section so be careful about the oncoming traffic.
Palani to Dharapuram - Excellent 2-line TN SH.
Dharapuram to Kangeyam - Excellent 2-line TN SH.
Kangeyam to Perundurai - Excellent 2-line TN SH.
Perundurai to Salem - Excellent.
Not updating the condition of rest of the route. The traffic was very heavy on Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch.
Hope it helps
denver85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

We just came back from Rameshwaram on the weekend.

There is a big depression on Bangalore - Salem road which can not be noticed. This is immediately after you see milestone which gives Salem as 35 KMs away. This is not a pot hole but level difference which is not noticeable. Since the stretch is so good and tend to drive fast, this will really surprise you. Be careful when you see milestone which says Salem is 35 KMs away.
Old 11th January 2013, 16:51   #89
BHPian

Planning to do Bangalore - Kodai - Bangalore next month. Need some advice from the experts here.

Route: Bangalore -Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Kodai Road - Nilakottai - Batlagundu - Kodai
Is this the most optimal route in terms of time taken and road conditions? I understand from the previous few posts that Dindigul - Kodai section has bad patches due to on going road widening work. What is the suggestion here?
For the return route, I see many people taking a different route (via Palani). Is there any specific reason for doing that? I would prefer the most time efficient route while coming back too.

Car: I am planning to take a 11+ years/~70K km old Santro for this trip. Any word of caution or suggestion? Planning to get the car checked up at the service center before that. I do not have any complaints in general with the car though.

Facilities en route: If I start early enough, I can finish breakfast in Salem which is probably the best option. Any suggestions here?
On return trip, any suggestions for a good place for lunch if I start around 9-10AM from Kodai?
Also, any recommended fueling stations en-route?
Old 11th January 2013, 16:58   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Planning to do Bangalore - Kodai - Bangalore next month. Need some advice from the experts here.

Route: Bangalore -Hosur - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Kodai Road - Nilakottai - Batlagundu - Kodai
Is this the most optimal route in terms of time taken and road conditions? I understand from the previous few posts that Dindigul - Kodai section has bad patches due to on going road widening work. What is the suggestion here?
For the return route, I see many people taking a different route (via Palani). Is there any specific reason for doing that? I would prefer the most time efficient route while coming back too.
Logical in terms of route. Since Dindigul-Batlagundu is bad, as you put you need to continue of NH7 towards Madurai till Kodai Road. Exit there and reach Batlagundu.

People take Palani route for personal reasons and a different route to take for drive. Else this same route is the most efficient.

Quote:
Car: I am planning to take a 11+ years/~70K km old Santro for this trip. Any word of caution or suggestion? Planning to get the car checked up at the service center before that. I do not have any complaints in general with the car though.

Facilities en route: If I start early enough, I can finish breakfast in Salem which is probably the best option. Any suggestions here?
On return trip, any suggestions for a good place for lunch if I start around 9-10AM from Kodai?
Also, any recommended fueling stations en-route?
Wont advice to take A2B on the way at Shoolagiri. Extremely crowded and you can lose quite some time. If you want south indian before Krishnagiri, I would say the best bet is Kamat.

My take is :
Drive till Salem and take a break by splurging at either GRT or Park Plaza !

Last edited by ampere : 11th January 2013 at 16:59.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks