Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 08:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Patna : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
To quote my example, I left Hyderabad at 6:00 am and was at the Nagpur level crossing by 12:30 pm. This included a 45 min halt for breakfast. We had to stop there for a train to pass. Add another half an hour from there to enter Nagpur proper. And this was when the highway beyond Adilabad was in pretty bad shape.

PS: I drive a Bolero SLX. The most spirited that car allows me to get is 120 kmph but it takes an eternity getting there.
PPS: I have done Hyd-Nagpur and Nagpur-Hyd twice each way. And my times have been similar.
s

Thank you. Now this gives me a very good idea on the tentative travel times (7 hrs). When this trip was done?
Old 6th June 2011, 09:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Thank you. Now this gives me a very good idea on the tentative travel times (7 hrs). When this trip was done?
September / October 2009: Hyderabad-Nagpur (part of Ladakh trip)
June 2010: Hyderabad-Nagpur (during the Patna trip)

Hyderabad-Jabalpur (800 km) is easily do-able in one day. Provided one starts at 5:30 am, one should be in Jabalpur by 6:30 pm. This includes:
1. 45 min stop for Breakfast at Nirmal
2. 1 hour stop for lunch just after you cross Nagpur
3. 15 min stop for tea around 5 pm
4. Couple of 5 min stops for rest and / or photographs
Old 11th June 2011, 13:07   #63
BHPian

Hi All ,

I am from Patna and have subscribed to this forum since I am planning a road trip to that place end of June. I stay in Bangalore currently. Your posts have been particularly interesting and informative so far. Any inputs on whether I should take the North South Corridor ( NH7) or Golden Quadrilateral ( NH5) for this trip during this season? I am particulary concerned about a few things since this is going to be my longest voyage till date -

1) Which is the best option - NH 7 or NH 5 ?
2) Current road conditions after Nagpur and till Mirzapur on NH 7
3) Road conditions after Balasore till Kharagur or Asansol
4) Safety concerns on either routes, if any?
Old 11th June 2011, 14:23   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post

1) Which is the best option - NH 7 or NH 5 ?
2) Current road conditions after Nagpur and till Mirzapur on NH 7
3) Road conditions after Balasore till Kharagur or Asansol
4) Safety concerns on either routes, if any?
NH 5 would be longer by almost 1000 km. Your best option is:

Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jabalpur-Varanasi-Mohaniya-Arrah-Patna

Roads upto Jabalpur are very very good. Beyond that to Varanasi intermittent stretches are bad. You will still be able to average 60kmph. Beyond Varanasi the road is one smooth stretch of tarmac.

Do not, I repeat, do not take the Varanasi-Mughalsarai-Patna route. That route has craters and even truckers do not go via that road any more.
lucifer1881 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 11:21   #65
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Lucifer... they are indeed helpful, and I have finally made up my mind about the route you are suggesting. Couple of other queries -

1) Do the petrol bunks on this route accept credit cards / debit cards? Especially beyond Nagpur.
2) Are there decent places beyond Jabalpur for a family night halt ( read women)
3) Are the roads in MP deserted, in the sense , is day time travel safe owing to the fact that buses and trucks normally do not ply during the day?
4) How long / how many hours will it take from Jabalpur to Patna, given the condition of roads are not that great. My car is Fiat Linea T-jet Plus. Will its clearance be enough on the cratered roads that I might encounter as suggested?

I have gone through your blog - "The great bihari road trip" in detail, and let me tell you that I was inspired by it to join this forum and undertake this journey. Looking forward to making some substantial contribution towards this thread once this trip is successfully completed.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
1) Do the petrol bunks on this route accept credit cards / debit cards? Especially beyond Nagpur.
Cash is King!

Quote:
2) Are there decent places beyond Jabalpur for a family night halt ( read women)
Rewa has got a good MPTDC hotel.

Quote:
3) Are the roads in MP deserted, in the sense , is day time travel safe owing to the fact that buses and trucks normally do not ply during the day?
No safety issues on this route. No personal traffic, mostly dominated by trucks. Hardly any buses, public transport is very poor in these parts.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:54   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Cash is King!

Rewa has got a good MPTDC hotel.

No safety issues on this route. No personal traffic, mostly dominated by trucks. Hardly any buses, public transport is very poor in these parts.
Thanks Mr. Kumar,
Its great to be quoted and to recieve your valuable tips so early on in my journey with Team BHP. My trip begins tomorrow, and with your "just in time" response, I have a feeling its going to be one great trip. You have made my day
Old 12th October 2011, 11:41   #68
BHPian

My Friend is planing this route during Divali, would like to know the latest status for NH7 considering the Telangana protest. How safe is it to travel via Hyderabad to Nagpur
Old 12th October 2011, 15:22   #69
BHPian

Roads all the way till Nagpur are good.
I don't think there is any effect of Telangana protest right now.
Please ask your friend to check the latest condition before he leaves for Nagpur.

Ideally, it will be good to cross Hyderabad between 19.00 hrs to 09.00 hrs (Late evening / night or early morning). This will make sure that even if there is any protest, your friend will not face any trouble.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
My Friend is planing this route during Divali, would like to know the latest status for NH7 considering the Telangana protest. How safe is it to travel via Hyderabad to Nagpur
The roads beyond Nagpur to Varanasi are in a pathetic conditions. My parents returned last week and they do not recommend taking road on this route at this moment.

I would advice your friend to take other means to travel.

Alternatively, your friend can go via NH5 till Khargpur and then to Patna there on. The roads are pretty good on this route.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ardy : 12th October 2011 at 15:46.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:42   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
The road condition of NH7 in AP is excellent. Not sure of the road condition after that.
It is very safe to go Via Hyderabad on NH7. No problems on that front.
Old 12th October 2011, 22:16   #72
BHPian

thanks every body, i will let him know the same and ask him to check on the protest issue if any before starting on the journey.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:08   #73
Senior - BHPian

I would be taking this route in reverse direction during first week of April. As per present update roads are pretty bad in UP-MP (most part after Jabalpur). I hope with Safari I can cope with it.

Is it advisable to comeback via Allahabad?
Old 25th June 2012, 14:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I would be taking this route in reverse direction during first week of April. As per present update roads are pretty bad in UP-MP (most part after Jabalpur). I hope with Safari I can cope with it.

Is it advisable to comeback via Allahabad?
Any update on the road condition from Nagpur to Varanasi, I know the road condition are real bad as you enter MP from MH till the Bison Resort have not gone beyond this in long time, I may have to travel may be tomorrow evening, I hope the road from Jabalpur to Varanasi to be in drivable state!

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 25th June 2012 at 14:04.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Any update on the road condition from Nagpur to Varanasi, I know the road condition are real bad as you enter MP from MH till the Bison Resort have not gone beyond this in long time, I may have to travel may be tomorrow evening, I hope the road from Jabalpur to Varanasi to be in drivable state!

-Pramod
Whole of MP roads are bad to the extent. For any sedan owners it is very difficult to drive on these roads. While returning my plan was to reach Jabalpur from Patna in a day. But I could not. I had to stay back in Maihar and had darshan very next day.

I tool the route Patna - Varanasi - Mirzapur - Rewa - Maihar - Katni - Jabalpur - Nagpur - Bangalore. I did not go to Allahabad. Only beypass roads for some towns were some reprieve . When MP government and NHAI will wake and make at least driveable road?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks