Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:24   #31
BHPian

I don't have any picture en route, but wanted to put my experience in words in some thread then thought of sharing summary info in this tread itself against creating new thread.
The worst part of the journey was the FOG that I encountered between Maihar and REWA and then REWA - MIRJAPUR, the visibility was less than 10 meters and I was crawling with all lights on, even the hazard lights, the headlights where useless the only saving grace was fog lamp which allowed me to atleast crawl, this was my first encounter of fog, so whoever driving on this route in night, need to have FOG lamps installed on vehicle, this is a must if you plan to drive in night.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 3rd December 2008 at 10:26.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any update on the road conditions from Hyderabad-Nagpur-Varanasi- Patna?
Also any good place for staying in night between Nagpur and varanasi?
Any alternatice route plan from Hyderabad to patna?
Old 13th May 2010, 15:55   #33
BHPian

Bangalore/Chennai to Patna - Need Help

Hi Guys, I am planning to Travel by my car along with my friends to Madhubani, Bihar on 19th and 20th of June. Could people here suggest the route and the condition of the roads, and any other concerns that need to be taken care of for the journey. Plannin to do the one-way journey inside 48 hours. I will be driving for most of the time and have a friend to share the driving when needed. So, expecting some suggestions from people here. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th May 2010, 17:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Take NH7 all the way to Varnasi via:
Hyderabad (great 4 lane roads most of the way)
Nagpur (incomplete, but except for some bad sections in MH border, good roads)
Jabalpur (excellent roads, 4 laned for some distance)
Rewa (good)
Varanasi (some bad sections in UP)

If you are an aggressive driver, you can plan to reach Nagpur itself for first night's stay, else Nirmal or Adilabad.
From Nagpur, you can make it to Varanasi with some zestful driving for second night's stay.

Once you reach Varanasi, you can take NH2 till MOhania, then turn off to Patna. NH2 is lovely, but teh roads approaching Patna are not in good shape.
After Patna, the road to Darbhanga via Muzaffarpur is good, and you have some lovely 4-laned roads on NH57.
Old 14th May 2010, 09:09   #35
BHPian

Thanks a million hvkumar. I was also considering the GQ route because i read that the roads near Hyd and nagpur are prone for heavy traffic. Can i have your opinion on the same?

And another important thing, is safety and security a concern when travelling through bihar considering that the vehicle has a KA number plate?
Old 14th May 2010, 10:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

If you take the GQ route, then you can get off it at Chittorgarh and go via Kota, Shivpuri and Jhansi to Kanpur, but I think that will add to the distance considerably. But super-fast roads, better facilities and bad roads only for a small stretch. You can try it at least one way, onward or return.

Your route will be:
Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Satara-Pune-Bombay-Vapi-Surat-Ankleshwar-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri-Jhansi-Orai-Bhognipur-Kanpur-Allahabad-Varanasi-Mohania.

Safety is not an issue, the only thugs you have to fear are the local cops who are used to harassing out-of-state motorists. Keep all your original documents, in order, and maybe you will have to pay some "tips" to smoothen your way. No other safety issues, the long arm of the law is the only unlawful thing you have to fear. However, avoid certain stretches at night: Rewa-Varanasi.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Take NH7 all the way to Varnasi via:
Hyderabad (great 4 lane roads most of the way)
Nagpur (incomplete, but except for some bad sections in MH border, good roads)
Jabalpur (excellent roads, 4 laned for some distance)
Rewa (good)
Varanasi (some bad sections in UP)
HVK sir, great info.
I am in hyderabad and plan to do hyd-patna in future. Not decided when.
Do you think Hyd-patna can be done in 2 days time?
Can I cover Hyd-Jabalpur in a day and then Jabalpur-patna next day via, the route you suggested?
Please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
Thanks a million hvkumar. I was also considering the GQ route because i read that the roads near Hyd and nagpur are prone for heavy traffic. Can i have your opinion on the same?

And another important thing, is safety and security a concern when travelling through bihar considering that the vehicle has a KA number plate?
Zoomsun, please do update the thread with the conditions of the road once you are done with the trip.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau
Can I cover Hyd-Jabalpur in a day and then Jabalpur-patna next day via, the route you suggested?
Please advise.
Hyd-Jabalpur can be easily done in a day's time. I have done it twice in roughly about 12 hours.

From Jabalpur to Varanasi it would take about 6-7 hours based on my experience. Can't comment on Varanasi onwards. I would assume it would be difficult to cover Jabalpur-Varanasi in a day, but not impossible.

Cheers
Old 14th May 2010, 11:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes, with some zestful driving, you may be able to do Hyd-Patna in 2 days although you may reach Patna very late. Like what Ardy said, you can do Hyd-Jabalpur the same day. I have taken just 5 hours for Jabalpur-Nagpur and 7 hours for Nagpur-Hyd. So, if you leave Hyd really early, you can make it further than even Jabalpur to, say, Rewa, where you can stay in the MPTDC's hotel (not many other good options).

The problem is after Mohania, where I am told that the roads are terrible from Arrah onwards (and not great before that).
Old 14th May 2010, 11:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Hyd-Jabalpur can be easily done in a day's time. I have done it twice in roughly about 12 hours.

From Jabalpur to Varanasi it would take about 6-7 hours based on my experience. Can't comment on Varanasi onwards. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, with some zestful driving, you may be able to do Hyd-Patna in 2 days although you may reach Patna very late.....
The problem is after Mohania, where I am told that the roads are terrible from Arrah onwards (and not great before that).
Thank you Ardy and HVK sir,

So probably a early morning start and I would be in Rewa for first night stay.I think it make sense to stretch a little on the first day as roads would be good. Considering the poor road conditions before and after Arrah, it would make sense to allocate enough time to this stretch. Generally varanasi to Patna should take 5 hrs(finger's crossed).I am hoping for 12hrs driving time even on second day.
Will wait for zoomsun to update the thread.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:06   #41
BHPian

@hvk, thanks for the invaluable information again. I am inspired to do Bangalore patna in 48 hours, considering i have friends who can take over the driving for about 8-10 hours in patches.

And now, I am leaving for Bangalore from Chennai on my friend's bike (alone though) and hoping to do it in 5 hrs.

@Fordmanchau, I am planning the trip to patna on the 19th of June. So, you will have to wait till then.

And btw, something off track, a nice signature.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomsun View Post
And now, I am leaving for Bangalore from Chennai on my friend's bike (alone though) and hoping to do it in 5 hrs.

@Fordmanchau, I am planning the trip to patna on the 19th of June. So, you will have to wait till then.

And btw, something off track, a nice signature.
Good luck for the Blr trip on bike. Have fun? how is the weather?
Yeah!! I can wait, no issues. I am not planning the Patna trip anyday before october.
Thanks for the signature mate!!
Old 24th March 2011, 16:11   #43
BHPian

Nagpur bypass

I would be travelling from Hyderabad to Pench and would be reaching Nagpur in the evening, is it advisable to drive through the nagpur city or take the bypass(though not sure about the bypass route).

Kindly suggest
Old 24th March 2011, 16:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Patna : Route Queries

It is one straight road through Nagpur city, made easier thanks to the elevated road at congested places like Dantoli. The Ring Road to bypass Nagpur city is quite a long route, hence you may end up spending the same or less time if you navigate through Nagpur city.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:51   #45
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Patna : Route Queries

Thankyou Kumar ji for clarification, so its anytime best to take the city route instead of bypass.

Most Viewed