Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 10:25   #1
rippergeo

Speed Camera/Radar Gun Locations in kerala

There seems to be a proliferation of speed cameras in our tiny state these days.
Its just another excuse to fleece motorists IMO, and I dont really buy into the argument that fast driving is always rash driving.

The intention of this thread is to compile a detailed list of locations where we are ambushed.

Some general observations,
1. they are usually placed at the middle of long straights or
2.wide sweeping corners
3.bottom of inclines

the cops do like to pick a large shady tree to shelter them
White Qaulises are the ones using the cameras usually
yet to see cameras based out of the mahindras.

Here's one regular location

The north bound lanes of the 4 lane highway(heading towards cochin),
a few kilometers past thuravoor
Under the large tree next to the 5 storeyed Moham Hospital.

(its the only large building in that area, its difficult to miss)
They tend to hang around that area at noon.

They can get you in range almost a kilometer away, so you need to know that they're there in order to stay out of trouble.

Please dont flame me for this thread, I just dont like the idea of being fleeced by cops for being 5 or 10kmph over the limit(70kmph)

Old 24th September 2008, 11:55   #2
BHPian

I was once stopped at TVM-Kovalam bypass and had to pay 1k fine, 500/- for overspeeding (80kmph) and 500/- for crossing the yellow line.

I was going towards Kizhakootam, Kollam side. Just after the chakka junction there comes this bridge over railway track, the police were in Versa with digital monitoring system, after the the downhill of the bridge. They showed me how I was speeding and crossed the yellow line on the mounted video screen. They gave me a photo print of the both the offences and challan.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another favoured spot is on NH47 on the way to the Airport (heading towards Trichur, that is). There is a long downward slope after the 2nd Aluva bridge and these chaps hang out at the end of it (just before the dangerous curve to the left which is also a junction for the Malayatoor turnoff).

I've also been hauled up on the Mvpzha - Perumbavoor route (lots of long straight stretches there, unfortunately) and the Trichur byepass.

In all these cases there is a downward slope on a straight stretch and they wait at the bottom of the slope - probably to get a good, clear shot of the license plates.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

In all these cases there is a downward slope on a straight stretch and they wait at the bottom of the slope - probably to get a good, clear shot of the license plates.
They wait at the bottom of inclines, as people unintentionally speed due to the gravity/engine-load factor. I've noticed this in the US too.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Zak! Where art thou?
Old 24th September 2008, 15:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
I was once stopped at TVM-Kovalam bypass and had to pay 1k fine, 500/- for overspeeding (80kmph) and 500/- for crossing the yellow line.

I was going towards Kizhakootam, Kollam side. Just after the chakka junction there comes this bridge over railway track, the police were in Versa with digital monitoring system, after the the downhill of the bridge. They showed me how I was speeding and crossed the yellow line on the mounted video screen. They gave me a photo print of the both the offences and challan.
this is a confirmed location. You should always be wary when going this way. If you're coming from chakka side, once go past the tata showroom and reach the bridge, make sure you are not overspeeding, and most of all, DO NOT cross the yellow line. The cops will be waiting for you at the other side of the bridge after the dip. Those of you coming down the incline towards the bridge should also be careful, but the cops focus mostly on the bridge.

There are two more locations where the cops of frequent, but i dont use the bypass a lot. jkdas might be able tell

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th September 2008 at 15:04.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:38   #7
rippergeo

@steer and iwonder-thanks for that, both of these routes I do use frequently, but so far, have been lucky.

there are stretches after kollam on the way to Tvm that have speed guns posted, but because they are not especially constant, posting them is not of any value to the thread. and also because I cant recollect proper landmarks, the info will do more harm than good. will pay more attention from now on.

same goes for stretches after vadakkenchery upto walayar on the way to CBE.

stimulus for starting this thread,
i was travelling back to COK from allepey with a group of fast vehicles,leading the pack, with all of them trying to mindlessly overtake me. when i reached the speed gun location i backed off the throttle and let all the others pass, they all got caught, all of them!
but I do admit, it was fun sailing past these people and the cops who had stopped them, at a serene 60kmph

Old 24th September 2008, 17:21   #8
BANNED

Ha ha ha! Nice one for all Bhpians in God's own country.

But, all the speed guns in our state is mobile (vehicle based) and they keep moving from one location to other. Don't be shocked to see them catching vehicles at Cochin byepass in between Palarivattom and Edappalli.
So, these are just favourite/frequent locations where our Khaaki friends always stick around. Expect them in newer/different locations too and once you see them somewhere else, post it up here!

Just about 5 kilometers plus into god's own country from Walayar border checkpost.
Between angamali and Aluva as explained by Steeroid.
After Kalpakavadi before Haripad.
Numerous places in between Todupuzha and Perumbavur. But mostly around 5kms before Muvattupuzha.
Trivandrum byepass. Near the toll bridge mostly.
Near Kuttippuram railway bridge in NH17.
Calicut byepass 2kms +/- near Kadavu resort. This is very new and it seems like it's going to be a favourite spot for some good time.
After Karunagappalli before Chavara. There're some wide curves where overtaking is prohibited due to poor visibility but the road is wide enough to keep the throttle on. Be careful!

According to the rule, it is 300rupees for overspeeding above 70km/h. But if one is caught in 3digit speeds, the fine is 1000rupees and/or license seizure. In case of the latter, the matter will be taken to court too where you'll be summoned.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:10   #9
BHPian

It still have not rusted ? I mean the speed gun thingy.
I was stopped about 4 years back.
Gun thingy was after the Kalamassery muncipality limit (Now Indus is there right side after that a petrol pump on the right, they were b/w these points.)

was caught in the next big downhill turn after that.
Was clocked at 78km/hr 300/- gone.

Cops were pretending the our favorite "Red" private bus's are under the limit.
Was already late so just told the cops you are doing a great job "acting" and collecting money from private cars and gave the money. Cop guy gave a lame smile.
Old 24th September 2008, 18:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

have come across them on the vytilla-edapalli strech, although i have not yet been pulled over.
Old 24th September 2008, 19:12   #11
BHPian

I was once stopped at Angamaly-Perumbavoor route, near Mattoor. They took Rs. 300 for over speed and Rs. 300 for crossing the yellow line. They were collecting money only from Private cars.
Old 24th September 2008, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
stimulus for starting this thread,
i was travelling back to COK from allepey with a group of fast vehicles,leading the pack, with all of them trying to mindlessly overtake me. when i reached the speed gun location i backed off the throttle and let all the others pass, they all got caught, all of them!
but I do admit, it was fun sailing past these people and the cops who had stopped them, at a serene 60kmph
this is lovely. i love you ripper!!! .
It looks like we should be careful on all open stretches. are they there on the night? i like night driving.
There is an open curve just before Paravoor enroute TVM. this can be a possible spot althoug i haven't seen.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th June 2020 at 19:31.
Old 24th September 2008, 20:13   #13
BHPian

Hey Folks,
Where all does this 70kmph limit apply - all roads or specific ones? or is it whole state?

Do they monitor during night also?
Old 24th September 2008, 22:08   #14
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
this is lovely. i love you ripper!!!
It looks like we should be careful on all open stretches. are they there on the night? i like night driving.
There is an open curve just before Paravoor enroute TVM. this can be a possible spot althoug i haven't seen.
if we start being careful on all the open stretches, all the fun of driving is lost.
the purpose of the thread is to identify the high risk areas.
we cant use the thread for guaranteed safety from cameras, we can just use it to minimise the chances of getting penalised by greedy cops.

the only thing going for us is, the cops are yet to exploit the mobility of these devices. they are still essentially creatures of habit. so they do tend to chose the same spot over and over.

catching motorists has to be financially lucrative, for that, the density of traffic has to be high. thats why we'll see them closer to the city, and also more in the day time. also I'm not sure if the cameras can give a reliable image of the number plate at night. they may be able to clock us doing a 100kmph at midnight using the radar, but producing photo evidence of the same will be difficult(not that our super honest cops need any proof before accusing some one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Hey Folks,
Where all does this 70kmph limit apply - all roads or specific ones? or is it whole state?

Do they monitor during night also?
all national highways are 70kmph in kerala
the other roads have equally ludicrous numbers(like 40kmph in the city- even the buses do 80kmph inside COK)

some other pointers
if you see a bunch of sedans and hatchbacks parked decently off the road with people milling around, slow down to the speed limit. when have you ever seen disciplined parking on our roads unless it was in the presence of cops.

also wear your seatbelts.
not only is it a life saving habit, it is still sufficiently rare in our state, so that the cops seeing you wearing it tend to think you're a decent law abiding bloke . they might let you off easier.

Old 24th September 2008, 22:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
it is still sufficiently rare in our state, so that the cops seeing you wearing it tend to think you're a decent law abiding bloke . they might let you off easier.
I beg to differ - I was stopped on the Landy for not wearing a seat belt. This is in rural Palghat. Our neighbour, the old doctor, was also stopped on the highway off which our house lies there - for not wearing the seat belt on his Honda City.

So if you're not wearing your seat belt you better have a big Gandhi in your pocket.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed