Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help required for Bangalore - Ooty -Bandipur - Mudumalai trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Help needed guys. I am planning to ride to Ooty this Friday. Have ridden on this route before and there are some bad stretches IIRC. Now, when checking on google maps, it gives me 3 routes -

1. Doddathoguru, Kanakpura, Malavalli, Chamrajnagar and Ooty
2. Channapatna, Mandya, Mysore, Nanjangud and Ooty
3. Kanakpura, Malavalli, Mysore, Nanjangud and Ooty.
If you are carrying your own food and "rain shelter" then least traffic prone option:

Bangalore-Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Ooty.
This route has bare minimal eating places as opposed the regular Mysore road.

You get a CCD at Gundlupet. But for that you need to drive 2-3 km towards Nanjangud from Gundlupet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are carrying your own food and "rain shelter" then least traffic prone option:

You get a CCD at Gundlupet. But for that you need to drive 2-3 km towards Nanjangud from Gundlupet.
ampere, agree with you completely. I had been to Ooty last weekend. While driving from Bangalore, I used the regular Mysore road. Since I had an early start at 5AM, I escaped the peak traffic to Mysore. Roads are good throughout except for the umpteen speed breakers that are enroute. Total driving time including breaks is 6 hours 30 minutes.

While returning, I was late and the time I reached Gundulpet, it was 5PM. I knew the traffic in Mysore road is going to be crazy. Even while driving through Bandipur, there was a huge line of cars going back to Bangalore. I decided to try the Chamrajnagar route fearing the Mysore road traffic.

The road from Gundulpet to Chamrajnagar was good with occasional pot holes and bad stretches. But they were very minimal and easily doable at 80km/hr. After Chamrajnagar, the road is smooth all the way to Bangalore. The driving time is 6 hours 30 minutes again including 30 minute break.

The good about this route
- sparse traffic
- No speed breakers
- Less stressful for the driver.

Things to consider before taking this route
- No good rest rooms / eateries on the way as you pointed out. Difficult for ladies.
- Driving this route after dusk may not be recommended. This is because of cattle and villagers on road and with blinding high beams on opposite side, it can get dangerous. Any type of vehicle breakdown can also be a problem in this desolate road.

But if one is traveling with food packed and driving in daylight, this road is very much recommended.

Last edited by gopikb : 3rd October 2011 at 22:39.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

The good about this route
- sparse traffic
- No speed breakers
- Less stressful for the driver.

Things to consider before taking this route
- No good rest rooms / eateries on the way as you pointed out. Difficult for ladies.
- Driving this route after dusk may not be recommended. This is because of cattle and villagers on road and with blinding high beams on opposite side, it can get dangerous. Any type of vehicle breakdown can also be a problem in this desolate road.

But if one is traveling with food packed and driving in daylight, this road is very much recommended.
Thanks for the comprehensive info, guys! Since I am starting early in the morning 5 AM types to Ooty, perhaps I will take the usual Mysore route when going. But when coming back, I am certainly going to take this route. Thanks for the info!
Old 4th October 2011, 10:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thanks for the comprehensive info, guys! Since I am starting early in the morning 5 AM types to Ooty, perhaps I will take the usual Mysore route when going. But when coming back, I am certainly going to take this route. Thanks for the info!
naveen, Since you plan to take the Gundulpet-Chamrajnagar-Kollegal-Malavalli-Kanakapura-Bangalore route on the return, please take note of the following

1. As you enter Gundulpet from bandipur, there will be a right turn to Chamrajnagar before you enter the main town. Watch out for sign boards.

2. Once inside Chamrajnagar, enquire the locals for correct road connecting Kollegal and you will be guided. dont ask for Bangalore directions as they might point you to Mysore again.

3. Point 2 goes once you enter Kollegal also. Ask directions to Malavalli.

4. About 3 kms before you enter Malavalli town, there is another right for Bangalore route. Watch out for signboards and it is marked clearly. During my previous trip to Shivanasamudram, I missed this turn and entered Malavalli town. There I asked for directions to Bangalore and I was uniformly pointed out in one direction which happened to connect Mysore road. So be careful about this.

Have a great trip and a wonderful drive.

Last edited by gopikb : 4th October 2011 at 10:26.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:27   #20
Team-BHP Support

I still hope you are bike?
Have a safe drive and take that "rain shelter" of yours
Old 6th October 2011, 12:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still hope you are bike?
Have a safe drive and take that "rain shelter" of yours
Yes, Ampere! Will be riding - its actually my Bullet Club's 10th anniversary. Rain gear is there to protect the camera - I will have to get wet.
Old 9th October 2011, 15:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Back safely in Bangalore. Thanks for the info guys. But we finally fell back to the usual Mysore route since there was a problem with a friends bike and we thought it will be better on the main road - with access to atleast a load-auto or something.
Old 18th April 2014, 19:20   #23
BHPian

Hello people

Any recent updates on the road conditions from bangalore to ooty and places to eat on the way?
I wish to take a pot hole free route.
Old 18th April 2014, 19:33   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
Hello people
Use this thread. Its a very active one.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...y-road-56.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks