Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2018, 16:08   #226
BHPian

Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Read this thread a bit late. Drove to Harihareshwar via Tamhini Ghat. As quickfox mentioned the road is non-existent. Absolutely ridiculous!! S-Cross saved our backs and all joints. Its literally off-roading. Definitely avoid. While returning thinking of taking the Pali-Khopoli-Expressway route. Hoping for better roads. Another tip..... From Mangaon take the Lonere phata to Harihareshwar. The main shorter route is in even worse shape I heard. Have lost faith on MH state highways and interior roads.
Old 24th November 2018, 11:26   #227
BHPian

Hi All,
I am planning a road trip around Christmas, i would be travelling from Pune early morning start at 5 AM for Dapoli. Plan is to cover Dapoli - Ganpatipule - Devagad - Malvan- South Goa and back on 1st Jan to Pune. I would be stating 1 day at each location for the first 3 days and then 3 days in Malvan and rest in Colva, South Goa. As i have never driven on the Konkan side, wanted to check which route is good for travelling to Dapoli, one option is through Mulshi - Tamhini Ghat and second route is though Bhor - Amshet - Mahad. Wanted to know which route is good and better to go for. I know from my last trip to Mulshi couple of months back that the road was in bad shape and we literally had huge craters on the road filled with water. The current feedback for Tamhini ghat is also poor.

Please advise what route would be best to travel to Dapoli and beyond that to Ganpatipule , Devgad and Malvan. Secondly from Malvan to Colva South Goa, what route should i take and would be the best. Any inputs would be helpful.
Old 14th March 2019, 20:57   #228
BHPian

Pune - Dapoli ?

I know this is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa thread. But, I could not find a specific thread about Pune - Konkan route, hence posting my query here.

I am planning to drive to Karde Beach, Dapoli in a few weeks time. When I check Google Maps, it gives me 2 options
  1. Bhor - Varandha Ghat - Mahad - Dapoli. and
  2. Tamhini Ghat - Mangaon - Lonere - Mandangad - Dapoli
Can someone throw some light on which route will be better? My gut feel is option 1. But, I would let the knowledgeable BHPians to enlighten.
Old 14th March 2019, 22:52   #229
BHPian

Re: Pune - Dapoli ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I know this is Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Goa thread. But, I could not find a specific thread about Pune - Konkan route, hence posting my query here.

I am planning to drive to Karde Beach, Dapoli in a few weeks time. When I check Google Maps, it gives me 2 options
  1. Bhor - Varandha Ghat - Mahad - Dapoli. and
  2. Tamhini Ghat - Mangaon - Lonere - Mandangad - Dapoli
Can someone throw some light on which route will be better? My gut feel is option 1. But, I would let the knowledgeable BHPians to enlighten.
I have travelled to karde by both routes many times. Both are fine but road quality is better via Khed. So you can go via Bhor - Varandha - Khed - Dapoli.

In recent times heard that tamhini road was broken in many sections and not good. So you may want to check.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:21   #230
BHPian

I would also suggest the Mahabaleshwar route, you will exit at Poladpur and just a km after the turn-off there is a route towards Dapoli, through scenic village roads with little to no traffic.
Old 22nd March 2019, 23:12   #231
BHPian

I took Bhor Warandha Mahad route and it had so many bad patches. I am seriously considering taking Tamhini route or Mahabaleshwar one. Which. Amongst of these will be better?
Old 25th March 2019, 11:43   #232
BHPian

Quote:
I took Bhor Warandha Mahad route and it had so many bad patches. I am seriously considering taking Tamhini route or Mahabaleshwar one. Which. Amongst of these will be better?
That’s a pity! I really hoped at least that route would be decent.

Please double check before considering Tamhini Ghat. Not sure about current conditions, but the road was absolutely ridiculous in Nov-Dec. The road was full of huge craters and pretty much unusable...one of the worst I have ever seen. Hopefully they have worked and improved it recently. But I honestly doubt it.
Old 26th March 2019, 13:53   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid Tamhini, its not in good shape, the best road out of the above is the Mahabaleshwar route through Poladpur, this is always well maintained due to the regular influx of tourists in this region.

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 14:45   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Avoid Tamhini, its not in good shape, the best road out of the above is the Mahabaleshwar route through Poladpur, this is always well maintained due to the regular influx of tourists in this region.
Cheers,
Thank you. But, this post came in a day late and how bad my guess was! I took Tamhini route and boy I suffered royally.
Not only was Tamhini Ghat and thereabout in bad shape, I stuck in a bad traffic jam on NH66 around Mangaon.
Anyway, lesson learnt! Avoid Tamhini at least for next 6 months.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:39   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. But, this post came in a day late and how bad my guess was! I took Tamhini route and boy I suffered royally.
Not only was Tamhini Ghat and thereabout in bad shape, I stuck in a bad traffic jam on NH66 around Mangaon.
Aaah that's too bad, but I guess one always feels to go the Google way

Google suggests the most frequented route, not necessarily the best.

Cheers!
Old 26th March 2019, 16:29   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

Cheers,
Quote:
Traveled to Dapoli about 10 days ago. Unfortunately when going, went via Tamhini and it is literally the worst road I've ever driven on.

On the return, stopped off at Harnai fish market and then took SH103 > SH102 > SH100 > NH66 to Pen, then SH88 to Khopoli and the Mumbai-Pune Expressway back home.

I know this is a pretty long route (272km), but honestly anything was better than going via Tamhini.

I was blown away by SH103 (only first 2-3kms are bad while driving through a few villages), SH102 and SH100, smooth roads, beautiful curves and scenery through several villages. Honestly one of the best drives I've ever had, thoroughly enjoyed the road - wasn't able to drive that fast but really relaxing and enjoyable with absolutely no traffic.

NH66 is single lane for a while and then opens up a bit, but still road works going on and have to keep following the diversions from one side to the other. You can maintain pretty good speeds though.

Pen had quite a bit of traffic and took about 25 mins on a Sunday evening to get through. SH88 is quite nice, minimal traffic and pretty good roads. Barely takes 50-60mins to get to Khopoli and then you all know how the expressway is.

Not sure about any other routes but this drive was pretty good, took about 6 hours in total to home and roads were in good shape.

Thanks.

Ps. After you turn left onto NH66 when exiting SH100, after about 10kms there is a Hotel Karthik on the right hand side - brilliant fish thaali's and ridiculously cheap!
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 17:06   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Traveled to Dapoli about 10 days ago. Unfortunately when going, went via Tamhini and it is literally the worst road I've ever driven on.

On the return, stopped off at Harnai fish market and then took SH103 > SH102 > SH100 > NH66 to Pen, then SH88 to Khopoli and the Mumbai-Pune Expressway back home.

I know this is a pretty long route (272km), but honestly anything was better than going via Tamhini.
Yes, this is a wonderful route, but helpful if one wants to go to lets say Kashid, Murud, Diveagar, etc. else it becomes too long a route.

Tamhini is the deliberately neglected road, and one that earns the contractors good moolah as it is forever under repairs, and never once repaired properly and with good quality materials.

Cheers,
Old 27th May 2019, 20:40   #238
BHPian

Hey folks,

Intend to travel with my family in my Verna to and fro Pune Dapoli on 31st May- 2nd June.

I can see 4 route options:

1. Via Tamhini - As per posts here, it seems to be in not a good shape.

2. Via Khopoli - Seems like an overkill

3. Via Bhor Verandah Ghat - Seems to be a better option

4. Google shows another option Via Lavasa.

Has anyone travelled #4 recently or can confirm if #3 is in reasonably good shape??

Any other suggestions , tips?

Thanks a ton!
Old 28th May 2019, 09:35   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I can see 4 route options:
1. Via Tamhini - As per posts here, it seems to be in not a good shape.
2. Via Khopoli - Seems like an overkill
3. Via Bhor Verandah Ghat - Seems to be a better option
4. Google shows another option Via Lavasa.
Has anyone traveled #4 recently or can confirm if #3 is in reasonably good shape??

Thanks a ton!
Not sure about Lavasa Route. But, whatever it is, avoid Tamhini and Warandha Ghat (on the worse road scale Tamhini > Warandha).

I would add another route - which GMaps doesn't show:
5. There is another route through Mahabaleshwar and Poladpur.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 21:29   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about Lavasa Route. But, whatever it is, avoid Tamhini and Warandha Ghat (on the worse road scale Tamhini > Warandha).

I would add another route - which GMaps doesn't show:
5. There is another route through Mahabaleshwar and Poladpur.
I believe you are referring to the one via Wai, Panchgani, Mahabaleshwar, Poladpur and not the one that goes through Bhor.

Thanks for the suggestion dmplog, I think if roads are good then extra 20-30 km won't be a bad bargain.

As others have also pointed this route, I think I am inclined to take this one.

Cheers!

Most Viewed