Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st May 2019, 16:20   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Hey folks,

Intend to travel with my family in my Verna to and fro Pune Dapoli on 31st May- 2nd June.

I can see 4 route options:

1. Via Tamhini - As per posts here, it seems to be in not a good shape.
2. Via Khopoli - Seems like an overkill
3. Via Bhor Verandah Ghat - Seems to be a better option
4. Google shows another option Via Lavasa.

Has anyone travelled #4 recently or can confirm if #3 is in reasonably good shape??
Avoid Tamhini & Bhor, both are in bad shape.
The route through Lavasa will again connect you to Tamhini so doesn't work too.
Khopoli route is good but longer.

Take the Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur route, best route towards that direction.
Since, your travel outwards was planned for 31-May, maybe you can try this for the return.

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:52   #242
BHPian

Thanks guys for the advise.

I took the Pune - Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur - Dapoli route both ways. Overall the roads are in excellent condition except for some patches where highway work is going on. I think this was after getting down from Mahabaleshwar towards Khed.

Lot of fun for people who love driving on ghats, but for small kids and even some adults this overdose of ghats can induce motion sickness, so keep that in mind.
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 21:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Thanks guys for the advise.

I took the Pune - Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur - Dapoli route both ways. Overall the roads are in excellent condition except for some patches where highway work is going on. I think this was after getting down from Mahabaleshwar towards Khed.

A lot of fun for people who love driving on ghats, but for small kids and even some adults this overdose of ghats can induce motion sickness, so keep that in mind.
Since you went in your Verna and I am planning this trip on the forthcoming weekend (21/22), in my Superb (2nd Gen). How good or bad is this route for sedans (low ones at that). I have driven up to MahaB, and mostly the route stays true and good, but beyond that, I haven't experienced and so the query.
The other vehicle will be a Hexa and not worried one bit about that one.
As a backup I have already booked a self drive Brezza (but honestly dont want to take that and prefer the Superb).
Old 18th June 2019, 11:15   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Since you went in your Verna and I am planning this trip on the forthcoming weekend (21/22), in my Superb (2nd Gen). How good or bad is this route for sedans (low ones at that). I have driven up to MahaB, and mostly the route stays true and good, but beyond that, I haven't experienced and so the query.
The other vehicle will be a Hexa and not worried one bit about that one.
As a backup I have already booked a self drive Brezza (but honestly dont want to take that and prefer the Superb).
Don't worry mate, you should have no problem with your superb. Verna, despite being a soft suspension did not scrape even once anywhere. Roads are just beautiful and more fun to drive in a sedan than in an SUV.

The bad patches that I wrote about are on the Khed section where highway work is going on- there are multiple patches each spanning a kilometer or two - the diversion roads are made of ballast stone which are painful to drive on but no where throws the car up and down. So, low GC should not be a problem.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 09:48   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Since you went in your Verna and I am planning this trip on the forthcoming weekend (21/22), in my Superb (2nd Gen).
Do you have an update on the route you took? A friend is planning to drive down next weekend.
Old 24th June 2019, 13:41   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Do you have an update on the route you took? A friend is planning to drive down next weekend.
While going to Dapoli, we took the Bhor- Mahad route (Google Maps, was following my friends HEXA). The road is bad, motorable, but bad. Avoid if you are driving anything but an SUV/UV/ Truck. While the Superb didnt scrape anywhere I was barely able to do an average speed of 20. After Mahad, it does improve but not by a lot.

Return was via Poladpur, Mahabaleshwar - The ghats are 'Fantastic', road is nice. Just a couple of 100 metre like stretches (very few) which are bad. I was able to do good speeds most of the way. Only one word of advice - try crossing this section before evening or during daylight hours. We had to slow down considerably because of heavy fog just after Pratapgadh. Not for the weak hearted . Also factor about 30-45 minutes extra on this route due to traffic at MahaB and Panchgani (weekend).

Last edited by torquecurve : 24th June 2019 at 13:54.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 15:23   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Hi KC,

Advise to take the Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur route, all other routes in this direction are an off-roaders delight.

Cheers!
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:18   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi KC,

Advise to take the Mahabaleshwar - Poladpur route, all other routes in this direction are an off-roaders delight.

Cheers!
Hi, while crossing Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar, do we have to pay the entry fee / Green tax, or will the booth operator let me through without paying if I say that I'm travelling to Poladpur?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 25th June 2019, 09:39   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
will the booth operator let me through without paying if I say that I'm travelling to Poladpur?
Remember AshishPallod sharing this long back, don't know if it is still allowed or not.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:29   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, while crossing Panchgani/Mahabaleshwar, do we have to pay the entry fee / Green tax, or will the booth operator let me through without paying if I say that I'm travelling to Poladpur?

Cheers,
Vikram
They try to extort money. I have managed to pass through without paying 80% of the times, at least the Panchgani one. Be firm in saying not staying but travelling further, hence wont pay.
He might still insist, tell them its not your first trip.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 14:46   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vikram,

As some already stated, you need to tell them that you are only transiting as your destination is Konkan. If they have time they might ask you for more details (where exactly, as many try to evade using this).

I have never paid while transiting to Konkan.

Cheers,
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 18:08   #252
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to drive to Dapoli in the last week of this month. Kindly suggest which route is to be taken.
Also, pointers for 'Famous Dhabas' (non-veg) along the route would be very welcome.
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:31   #253
BHPian

Couldn't find a specific thread for Varandh ghat, so posting it here. Will keep updating every month hopefully.
Just a quick update FYI

After about 6 months, the varandh ghat work with respect to land slides has been completed and the route is open for public again from 16th Jan. I went to mahad via bhor Varandh ghat this Saturday.
The roads are in bad shape, as usual. But work is going on in full swing. On the plus side, there are no potholes, although at a lot of places only gravel and/or mud. Still, can't resist the shorter and quicker route to Mahad.
Started from mahad at 9pm, and reached Pune by midnight with two quick breaks in between. Managed to reach Katraj in 2.5 hours from mahad.
Dashcam malfunctioned, so will post the videos next week.

Travelers may want to use this road. Do pm me for additional details.
Torq is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:25   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Started from mahad at 9pm, and reached Pune by midnight with two quick breaks in between..
Is it safe for night driving and how are the road side amenities post sunset?

-BJ
Old 22nd January 2020, 18:51   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Is it safe for night driving and how are the road side amenities post sunset?

-BJ
After crossing bhor, there are a few hotels on the way in bhor taluka boundary. But after that one will rarely find anything at all on the entire stretch. Past 8pm eateries all close down at waghjai. There may be a small hotel open near hirdoshi for ST bus passengers. That's about 30kms from bhor.
Road is generally safe with no incident ever heard in past 5 or so years that I am frequenting this section.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed