Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Pune to Dapoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I had been to Dapoli in February and took the Tamhini ghat road, then right after Veer station, Ambet, Mandangad and Dapoli. It took almost 4 hours in my Figo. Road is okay, depends on which car you drive, less traffic.

You can ask your brother to join in at Mangaon, maybe have lunch at Anandbhuvan and then proceed! We had done the same as my cousins were travelling from Mumbai.

Btw, let me know where you are planning to stay in Dapoli.
Hi Figopian,

My final destination is Murud beach. I am staying at Dreamslandinn resort right on Murud beach. Stayed there earlier. Nice place.
Old 8th May 2011, 21:44   #62
BHPian

Just back from Dapoli.
Sharing the condition of roads.
Took the Pune-Khopoli-Pen-Madangad route while going.
Except the Ambet ghat, road is in excellent condition. Freshly laid up.

Took the Tamhini ghat while returning. And i am still rattling. The road after Mangaon is under work and then its just up and down, cracked up all the way till Mulshi dam.

While returning I thought of taking it easy by taking the route with less traffic. But I now regret.
The only saving grace was of enjoying rains in Tamhini ghat. It was awesome.

Advice would be to avoid the Tamhini ghat ad look for other options.

Will post some pics of the trip soon.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:49   #63
BHPian

Hi everyone. I am planning a Pune-Dapoli trip next weekend in my car (SX4). There will be 2 kids (2yrs and 4 yrs). Considering these, which would be the best route from Pune?
Old 14th November 2011, 18:50   #64
BHPian

re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Hi everyone. I am planning a Pune-Dapoli trip next weekend in my car (SX4). There will be 2 kids (2yrs and 4 yrs). Considering these, which would be the best route from Pune?
Old 14th November 2011, 19:04   #65
BHPian

I think the best option is through Mulshi, then immediately after you get down from Tamhini into Konkan, take left near the Industrial Estate and go to Mangaon, then stick to NH17 all the way to Khed, and then right to Dapoli. It's a lovely drive (but go slow, roads might be a little bumpy after the rains), you get down into Konkan very quickly, and NH 17 is safe. Avoid the temptation to take the shortcut after Mahad through Mandangarh, that area is a little lonely, especially late in the evenings, and you really do not save much time, if at all. Be slow on NH17 - it tends to have a lot of incoming traffic, the road is narrow compared to NH4, and there is a lot of pedestrian/animal traffic too!

Avoid Bhor/Warandha ghat - it's a lovely drive in the rains for an SUV, but food/restroom options are very limited, and it will be hard on your SX4. Also, the ghat area is too long winded.

Poladpur/Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani/Wai might be a good option on the way back if you want to catch some strawberries and sandwiches, or visit the temple, on the way back.
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 19:30   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
I think the best option is through Mulshi, then immediately after you get down from Tamhini into Konkan, take left near the Industrial Estate and go to Mangaon, then stick to NH17 all the way to Khed, and then right to Dapoli. It's a lovely drive (but go slow, roads might be a little bumpy after the rains), you get down into Konkan very quickly, and NH 17 is safe. Avoid the temptation to take the shortcut after Mahad through Mandangarh, that area is a little lonely, especially late in the evenings, and you really do not save much time, if at all. Be slow on NH17 - it tends to have a lot of incoming traffic, the road is narrow compared to NH4, and there is a lot of pedestrian/animal traffic too!

Avoid Bhor/Warandha ghat - it's a lovely drive in the rains for an SUV, but food/restroom options are very limited, and it will be hard on your SX4. Also, the ghat area is too long winded.

Poladpur/Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani/Wai might be a good option on the way back if you want to catch some strawberries and sandwiches, or visit the temple, on the way back.
Thanks Siddhesh. Do you know how the road conditions are at Tamhini ghat nowadays?
Also, do you know anything about the Pune - Umbraj - Patan - Koynanagar - kumbharli route? Is that a viable option?
Old 14th November 2011, 19:36   #67
BHPian

Sorry, haven't been to Tamhini recently... but it cant be worse than the other options like Warandha. As I said, just take it relaxed.

The Patan/Koynanagar route will be much longer, you end up driving a "J" route - will add significantly to the travel, without any benefits as far as I can see. Has the longest "class 2 section", and definitely 50-60 kms to the distance.
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:58   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Thanks Siddhesh. Do you know how the road conditions are at Tamhini ghat nowadays?
Also, do you know anything about the Pune - Umbraj - Patan - Koynanagar - kumbharli route? Is that a viable option?
I recently did Pune-Dapoli. I went via Varandah ghat and came back via Tamhini ghat. I would say avoid Varandha as it is more time consuming because of narrow road. The road is cut where the tarmac ends so much that you think twice before getting off without being scrapped, and you cann't avoid getting off if any vehicle comes from opposite side. The drive will be very slow.

Tamhini ghat road is good till you travel in Pune district. Once you cross the broder the road is pathetic till Vile MIDC, then you get a small good patch and then till Mangaon, the road is worst in condition. I would say avoid going via Mandangad as the road is in bad condition except a few good patches here and there. You should go straight on NH17 till Bharana Naka and then take a right to Khed, the road between Khed and Dapoli is in good condition. You can make this (Pune - Dapoli) in less than 5 hours (Considering you drive SX4 and a 20-25 minutes hault)

The kumbharli ghat is too long to go to Dapoli and the road condition is in worst condition now (One of my friend just took that road last month), so avoid it!

Last edited by Figopian : 15th November 2011 at 10:02.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:34   #69
BHPian

Thanks Figopian and Siddhesh. I will be traveling tomorrow and will let y'all know about the experience.
Old 17th November 2011, 16:30   #70
BHPian

Dapoli via Warandha/Tamhini would be ~ 200 kms, where as it is ~ 300 kms via Patan. But this route is more scenic, can be taken if somebody has time and is interested in a new route.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:32   #71

The best route from Pune to Dapoli is via Tamhini ghat. Once you reach Goregaon on NH 17 keep going straight on the NH 17 till you see a railway station call Veer to your left. Take the first right after Veer station (this route is called Toll Phata). By taking this route you can avoid the Ambet ghat completely and reach Mandangad.
Mandangad Dapoli is a pretty straightforward route of approximately 48 km.
Old 21st November 2011, 13:40   #72
BHPian

My friend just returned from Dapoli trip this weekend.

The Tamhini ghat road is in bad shape. He suggested to use the varandha or mahabaleshwar poladpur route
Old 21st November 2011, 14:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Varandha is way better than thamini right now. i just did both the routes few days back.
Old 21st November 2011, 16:52   #74
BHPian

Just came back from Dapoli yesterday . The Tamhini route is so horrible that the car might need wheel allignment once you come back. While returning we took the polladpur mahabi route and it was awesome , 95% good road , bad patches here and there . We stopped at the Mahabi had our strawberry with cream and the famous mapro classic sandwich and some more strawberry with cream .

We stayed at the Lotus resort , Four of us , all guys . We took the bamboo cottage . It was nice But I would prefer if they seal the cottage a lil bit . Once the sun set and it started getting dark we were attacked by like a zillion mosquitoes . We had do drive out again and get a can of Hit spray and then we could sleep peacefully .

They charged us 3000 for four people . Food is decent . Resort is ok ok types . But the other resorts along the same length were much cheaper . Next time I would prefer taking another resort . Lotus is not worth the hype .
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:44   #75
BHPian

Darn!! I wish Heman, Amit and Gautam had posted before I left.
I took the Tamhini ghat road and it truly is horrible barring maybe 10 KM which is in decent shape overall.
Next time, its the poladpur-mabi route for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks