Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 11:32   #106
BHPian

re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I hope the following picture removes your confusion. I guess you must have been confused by what I said "you really do not travel against traffic". This is true. ]
Now it is clear, much clear.
Thanks a lot again, biju!!
Old 25th May 2012, 14:02   #107
BHPian

It seems that I may have to go to Kolhapur from Murud-Janjira. I am planning to take NH17 till Chiplun and then via Kumbharli ghat -> Karad to Kolhapur. Any updates on this road?
From Murud, I can join NH17 at Indapur directly or I can join it at Khed via Mhasala. Via Mhasala, it would be all internal roads till Khed. Any suggestions? Which one would be better? In general how is the road condition on NH17 between Indapur/Mangaon to Chiplun? I will be driving on Monday afternoon.

Another option is to drive to Nivdi all the way on NH17 and then take Devrukh -> Amba -> Kolhapur route. Distance wise all three route look the same @ 330Km.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
It seems that I may have to go to Kolhapur from Murud-Janjira. I am planning to take NH17 till Chiplun and then via Kumbharli ghat -> Karad to Kolhapur. Any updates on this road?
From Murud, I can join NH17 at Indapur directly or I can join it at Khed via Mhasala. Via Mhasala, it would be all internal roads till Khed. Any suggestions? Which one would be better? In general how is the road condition on NH17 between Indapur/Mangaon to Chiplun? I will be driving on Monday afternoon.

Another option is to drive to Nivdi all the way on NH17 and then take Devrukh -> Amba -> Kolhapur route. Distance wise all three route look the same @ 330Km.
I travelled to Ratnagiri via Amba ghat 3 weeks ago, and the road condition is more than decent. My return trip was via Kumbharli, and that is also not too bad, except for a few intermittent rough patches. But, you will have to pass through Patan town, where ongoing road widening work and the resultant traffic jams can slow you down.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th May 2012 at 15:36.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:59   #109
BHPian

Guys,
I came back from Murud this Monday. Took the Khalapur -> Pen -> Alibaug -> Murud road. Complete road is in excellent condition, no hassles, same route while coming back. If I sans the traffic congestion at Vadkhal Naka, which is a regular affair there, the travel was good. At one time on NH17 just before Vadkhal, there were 5 lanes of vehicles going towards Goa with no space for vehicles coming towards Mumbai, no wonder there was a big jam!!

No issues while getting onto Pen road at Khalapur toll naka
I did not take the Pen by-pass, went straight through the Pen town and it still was ok. I was just scared of continuing on NH17 while coming back as well!!

Plan to drive to Kolhapur didnt go through, so returned to Pune.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 12:15   #110
BHPian

Reviving an old thread to check some information on Pune - Dapoli road. I am plannning to visit Karde in the last week of December. I have decided to take the Mulshi - Tamhini route to reach Mangaon and need some input on the road I should take thereafter. Has anyone taken the Mangaon - Ambet - Dapoli road recently? Or is it worth to travel all the way to Khed and then to Dapoli?
Old 10th December 2012, 13:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have decided to take the Mulshi - Tamhini route to reach Mangaon and need some input on the road I should take thereafter. Has anyone taken the Mangaon - Ambet - Dapoli road recently? Or is it worth to travel all the way to Khed and then to Dapoli?
I'd gone to the Quick Bite restaurant just before Tamhini Ghat a couple of weekends ago, and the road after Tata Power till Quick Bite is just horrible [don't know how it is after this point]. So, please adjust your start times accordingly, as you will be at crawling speeds on this patch.

After Tamhini, you can go via Vile MIDC - Mangaon - Veer - right turn after Veer - Ambet - Dapoli.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=Pune,+Maharashtra&daddr=Tamhini,+Mahara shtra+to:18.110162,73.3341448+toapoli,+Maharasht ra&hl=en&ll=18.051867,73.369789&spn=0.11996,0.1543 24&sll=18.051867,73.369789&sspn=0.239921,0.308647& geocode=FW6ZGgEd6PZmBCkBEUZnLr_COzFD456dv0ONgg%3BF Td6GQEdEHZgBCnd26r1iB_oOzETNIwXTYUuQg%3BFdJWFAEdgP 1eBCkJmnOY-SzoOzEv2qL2NQ6sxw%3BFRjkDgEd3sJcBCl7TV9m3sPpOzE06F Ee2TIaQQ&oq=ambet&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=2&t=m&z =13

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th December 2012 at 13:40.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 13:48   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I'd gone to the Quick Bite restaurant just before Tamhini Ghat a couple of weekends ago, and the road after Tata Power till Quick Bite is just horrible [don't know how it is after this point]. So, please adjust your start times accordingly, as you will be at crawling speeds on this patch.

After Tamhini, you can go via Vile MIDC - Mangaon - Veer - right turn after Veer - Ambet - Dapoli.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=Pune,+Maharashtra&daddr=Tamhini,+Mahara shtra+to:18.110162,73.3341448+toapoli,+Maharasht ra&hl=en&ll=18.051867,73.369789&spn=0.11996,0.1543 24&sll=18.051867,73.369789&sspn=0.239921,0.308647& geocode=FW6ZGgEd6PZmBCkBEUZnLr_COzFD456dv0ONgg%3BF Td6GQEdEHZgBCnd26r1iB_oOzETNIwXTYUuQg%3BFdJWFAEdgP 1eBCkJmnOY-SzoOzEv2qL2NQ6sxw%3BFRjkDgEd3sJcBCl7TV9m3sPpOzE06F Ee2TIaQQ&oq=ambet&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=12&via=2&t=m&z =13

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks, Vikram. I know this road via Veer -> Ambet -> Dapoli. Had taken this road in October 2011. I am checking if this road is in a good condition to drive. A bit scared after your update on the road till Tamhini, it was okay last year (in fact I did go to Mulshi during monsoon and was still good), looks like it has deteriorated now.

Last edited by Figopian : 10th December 2012 at 13:49.
Old 10th December 2012, 19:20   #113
BHPian

Quote:
...the road after Tata Power till Quick Bite is just horrible [don't know how it is after this point]...
I second that.

I just did a Pune-Tamhini-Mangaon-Shrivardhan-Diveagar-Mangaon-Mahad-Varandha-Pune trip on Saturday 8th Dec. The road conditions are as follows:

1. Pune-Tamhini-Vile MIDC: Very bad till the actual ghat starts. After that it is smooth tarmac with only very short occasional bad patches.
2. Vile-MIDC-Mangaon: Good roads, no problems at all.

I think that covers what you will need.

If the Mangaon-Mahad stretch interests you, it's in prime condition.

Oh, I must add, that after the pathetic condition of the Tamhini ghat, we were really looking forward to Varandha. "It can't get any worse than Tamhini" we though. Oh boy, we were SO wrong! Varandha is equally pathetic!

Last edited by kaushik60 : 10th December 2012 at 19:21. Reason: noticed an error
kaushik60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 20:22   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
I second that.

I just did a Pune-Tamhini-Mangaon-Shrivardhan-Diveagar-Mangaon-Mahad-Varandha-Pune trip on Saturday 8th Dec. The road conditions are as follows:

1. Pune-Tamhini-Vile MIDC: Very bad till the actual ghat starts. After that it is smooth tarmac with only very short occasional bad patches.
2. Vile-MIDC-Mangaon: Good roads, no problems at all.

I think that covers what you will need.

If the Mangaon-Mahad stretch interests you, it's in prime condition.

Oh, I must add, that after the pathetic condition of the Tamhini ghat, we were really looking forward to Varandha. "It can't get any worse than Tamhini" we though. Oh boy, we were SO wrong! Varandha is equally pathetic!
I had experienced this last year. Once you go through Varandha, you feel its okay to take the Tamhini route. Its difficult to pick which one is bad, I will choose Tamhini since at least the roads are little wider and less chances of scrapping the underbody.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:36   #115
BHPian

I just did Pune- Dapoli via Mahabaleshwar..
Excellent roads. But was unable to utilise the advantage.
Horrible traffic jam in panchgani and Mahabaleshwar as well, messed with our timings.
My usual timings are:
Pune- Mahabaleshwar 2 hours
Mahabaleshwar - Dapoli( Kolthare) 3 hours.

That day, it took almost 7 hours.

So now, if the drive is on weekends, I prefer Pune- khopoli- pali- wakan- mangaon- ambet- Dapoli road.
It adds almost 40 extra kilometers, but saves a lot of hassle.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.
Old 10th December 2012, 20:54   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Reviving an old thread to check some information on Pune - Dapoli road. I am plannning to visit Karde in the last week of December. I have decided to take the Mulshi - Tamhini route to reach Mangaon and need some input on the road I should take thereafter. Has anyone taken the Mangaon - Ambet - Dapoli road recently? Or is it worth to travel all the way to Khed and then to Dapoli?
Take the right after the Veer station. That's called Tol phata. The road is pretty much good till Dapoli. Just a 10-15 min bad patch.
chinmaybaikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 20:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
I just did Pune- Dapoli via Mahabaleshwar..
Excellent roads. But was unable to utilise the advantage.
Horrible traffic jam in panchgani and Mahabaleshwar as well, messed with our timings.
My usual timings are:
Pune- Mahabaleshwar 2 hours
Mahabaleshwar - Dapoli( Kolthare) 3 hours.

That day, it took almost 7 hours.

So now, if the drive is on weekends, I prefer Pune- khopoli- pali- wakan- mangaon- ambet- Dapoli road.
It adds almost 40 extra kilometers, but saves a lot of hassle.

Cheers,
Abhijeet.
I took this road once but it seems to be longer, it took me 6+ hours without any traffic as well (Maybe I drive too slow!!) Also, this road has the maximum ghat section, my wife doesnot like it :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Take the right after the Veer station. That's called Tol phata. The road is pretty much good till Dapoli. Just a 10-15 min bad patch.
Thanks, mate! Thats the precise road update I was expecting. I do plan to take this same route but was unsure about the road condition as it was very bad when I travelled on this same route a year ago.

Last edited by Figopian : 10th December 2012 at 21:01.
Old 10th December 2012, 21:07   #118
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, mate! Thats the precise road update I was expecting. I do plan to take this same route but was unsure about the road condition as it was very bad when I travelled on this same route a year ago.
Certain patches are bad. But nothing worse as such. That's what i felt when we went to dapoli in summer that too with 5 people in an Alto with the boot space completely packed. And my village is exatcly 15 kms from Dapoli. Many bhpians frequent here. Had spotted a spark last year with LTD.
Old 10th December 2012, 21:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do plan to take this same route but was unsure about the road condition as it was very bad when I travelled on this same route a year ago.
All things considered, I'd pick the Tamhini - Mangaon - Veer - Dapoli route if I were you. Judging from all reports, the road seems to be quite okay, apart from the bad patch from Tata Power till start of the ghat. You'll only need to budget for a little extra time to navigate that.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th December 2012, 21:24   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Certain patches are bad. But nothing worse as such. That's what i felt when we went to dapoli in summer that too with 5 people in an Alto with the boot space completely packed. And my village is exatcly 15 kms from Dapoli. Many bhpians frequent here. Had spotted a spark last year with LTD.
Well, it will be much easy for me I guess with just 3 people in my Figo. Although Figo's GC is nothing to talk about and hence the caution. Thanks anyway!!

Btw, I will be driving to Karde beach.

Quote:
All things considered, I'd pick the Tamhini - Mangaon - Veer - Dapoli route if I were you. Judging from all reports, the road seems to be quite okay, apart from the bad patch from Tata Power till start of the ghat. You'll only need to budget for a little extra time to navigate that.

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes, thats my pick as well. Hope this turns out good

Last edited by Figopian : 10th December 2012 at 21:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks