Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2022, 08:17   #271
BHPian

Re: Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries

Hi,

Pl avoid Mangaon to Dapoli internal roads. Though roads are in decent condition ... Bridge on river is closed. I was forced to take a ferry yesterday 13th March.

Mangaon to Mulshi is pleasure to drive ...
And was on diveagar mangaon stretch for some distance and it's newly laid concrete road makes me think Pune Diveagar will be best beach trip if road condition is major criteria.

Even bhor mahad has improved except 10 odd kms around varandha ...
Old 14th March 2022, 08:23   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Dapoli
What's the best route from Pune to Dapoli then? I've heard that Tamhini, after the concretisation, is the better bet but google seems to suggest Bhor - Mahad. We're planning a 6-6.30am start.
Old 14th March 2022, 08:29   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What's the best route from Pune to Dapoli then? I've heard that Tamhini, after the concretisation, is the better bet but google seems to suggest Bhor - Mahad. We're planning a 6-6.30am start.
Till Mahad ... I took both ... Bhor onwards and Tamhini on return. Chose based on where you stay in Pune.

Form Mahad ... We have 2 options

1/ Via Khed ... I did few years back
2/ Via Latvan - entire stretch is scenic winding and majority of the road is in good condition ....

Last edited by naren_gs1 : 14th March 2022 at 08:32. Reason: More details Added
naren_gs1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:06   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I had promised I'd update varandha and tamhini ghat road conditions here on a monthly basis, but somehow it hasn't worked out. For folks who do want to travel, ping me as a reminder if I haven't posted any updates henceforth. I travel via tamhini twice a month and varandha once a month.
Which route do you suggest based on the latest road condition?
This is what Google is suggesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-punedapoli.jpg  

Old 14th March 2022, 14:23   #275
BHPian

Most of the tamhini ghat has been well under concrete, except for a small patch before and after paud. Low slung sedans, be careful!

Varandha ghat road is better than before, with smooth tarmac from mahad till waghjai, then a short 4 km offroading non existent road, then about 8kms of gravely Road and then again smooth sailing all the way till pune.
Enthusiasts and nostalgic folks may now have fun on the twisties of varandha without scrapping the bottom or worrying about the suspension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Which route do you suggest based on the latest road condition?
This is what Google is suggesting.
I'd honestly suggest pune bhor varandha mahad shirgao karanjadi latvan dapoli. Very small sections of poor roads I guess around bhor about 10-15kms, and then after latvan about 5kms of pothole ridden Road. Bhor ghat only for those where family isn't too finicky about car/ghat sickness. Too many twists and turns along with high heat makes a poor road trip.

Also, there's a current heat wave advisory for Mumbai thane and Raigad District with temperatures reaching as high as 40 degrees.

Last edited by Torq : 14th March 2022 at 14:27.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 19:16   #276
Team-BHP Support

Did a Pune - Dapoli trip this weekend. Since the Tamhini route is not feasible (due to bridge closure at Ambet), we tried the other two:

Onward: Pune - Bhor - Mahad - Dapoli via Varandha ghat.

Varandha is about 1/2 okay (levelled up, but final tar layer missing, so you're driving on stones and loose gravel), 1/4 very good (especially during the final descent) and 1/4 in absolute shambles, rather doesn't exist. An single lane (rocks and soil) at a few crucial places).

Return: given the state of Varandha, we didn't want to risk getting stuck there, esp with the long weekend traffic.

Dapoli - Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar - Pune

Pasarni is in terrific shape, freshly tarred, absolute delight. But the Mahabaleshwar was chaotic, with the line towards Mapro causing long traffic jams.

Worse, there was some accident at Khambhatki ghat so a lot of the Pune - Goa traffic was diverted to the Khambhatki tunnel. This meant both lanes were let out in batches, so that caused a few km-long jam.

Luckily we'd started at 7am from Dapoli so made it in Pune (chandani chowk) at 3pm.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 14:40   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Did a Pune - Dapoli trip this weekend. Since the Tamhini route is not feasible (due to bridge closure at Ambet), we tried the other two:
2 families planned to drive out to Dapoli during Good Friday weekend.

Do you think the Bridge work at Ambet might have gotten over by now? Do you suggest better to avoid this now? Because, compared to Bhor, Tamhini roads are better during my past drives.

Quote:
Onward: Pune - Bhor - Mahad - Dapoli via Varandha ghat.

Varandha is about 1/2 okay (levelled up, but final tar layer missing, so you're driving on stones and loose gravel), 1/4 very good (especially during the final descent) and 1/4 in absolute shambles, rather doesn't exist. An single lane (rocks and soil) at a few crucial places).
If I must take Bhor Ghat, do you think it is manageable for a rented Innova?

Quote:
Dapoli - Poladpur - Mahabaleshwar - Pune

Luckily we'd started at 7am from Dapoli so made it in Pune (chandani chowk) at 3pm.
We are thinking of leaving Dapoli around 10am Sun morning to reach Pune around 6. I am thinking, if possible, come via Tamhini (longer, I know) or resort to Mahabalehswar (my only worry in weekend return traffic from Satara to Pune / Mumbai in the evening).
Old 10th April 2022, 18:09   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Do you think the Bridge work at Ambet might have gotten over by now? Do you suggest better to avoid this now? Because, compared to Bhor, Tamhini roads are better during my past drives.
Google Maps doesn't show route closure at the bridge so looks like it is open. I'd suggest checking with the resort, they'll be aware of the current status.

If it is open, I'd choose Tamhini over other routes.

Quote:
If I must take Bhor Ghat, do you think it is manageable for a rented Innova?
You mean to ask about Varandha ghat? An Innova can manage it, but I'd recommend against. The roads are destroyed there.

Quote:
We are thinking of leaving Dapoli around 10am Sun morning to reach Pune around 6.
I'll very strongly advise that you leave sooner. We left from Karde at 7.30 and yet got stuck in terrible traffic at Mahabaleshwar (courtesy Mapro) and then at Khambhatki. With only one halt for lunch at lower Mapro, we reached Baner around 4pm.

It's the long weekend, you're going to get crazy traffic so start earlier.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 00:24   #279
Team-BHP Support

Posting here since this thread seems to have more traction than Bombay-Dapoli one. We're driving to Dapoli for the long weekend and I was wondering on the condition of roads on this stretch:
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-screenshot_20220808000618.jpg

Do the current road conditions warrant a crossover or can we just take a sedan? Any recommendations for a pitstop along this route? Is there a McDonald's along this on this highway?

Quote:
Google Maps doesn't show route closure at the bridge so looks like it is open. I'd suggest checking with the resort, they'll be aware of the current status.
Going by the Google maps it doesn't seem like we're going to be crossing this bridge, or would be? Also, is local transport easily available within Dapoli, like to get to the beach and back, etc? Any places/spots that you'd recommend having been there recently?
Old 8th August 2022, 11:52   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Do the current road conditions warrant a crossover or can we just take a sedan? Any recommendations for a pitstop along this route? Is there a McDonald's along this on this highway?
You'll drive marginally faster in a crossover vs. a sedan, but either won't be too different. The roads aren't great, but a sedan will do just fine. McD?! You'll be lucky to find a snack bar / restaurant. Even expecting a Vittal Kamath is going overboard.

Quote:
Going by the Google maps it doesn't seem like we're going to be crossing this bridge, or would be?
It is the same bridge but looks like it is now open.

Quote:
Also, is local transport easily available within Dapoli, like to get to the beach and back, etc?
Within Dapoli, you might just get a rickshaw for hire.

Quote:
Any places/spots that you'd recommend having been there recently?
Visit Karde beach (one of the better beaches in this part of Konkan). Not a lot around, Murud: Janjra fort, and Hedavi: Bamanghal are a couple of hours away, so may not be worth the effort.

Some friends were there just yesterday and there is heavy rain (and fog/clouds) on the coast, and rain predicted for the next few days so plan to have to stay put.

Do try Patil Khanawal for typical Konkani fare - but call and book in advance (they're very busy, and fairly arrogant about it).

EDIT: have you considered taking the Alibag - Mandwa RORO ferry?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th August 2022 at 11:55.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 12:29   #281
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the heads-up buddy!

Quote:
You'll drive marginally faster in a crossover vs. a sedan, but either won't be too different. The roads aren't great, but a sedan will do just fine.
Thanks, will stick with the Audi then. Was contemplating on taking the Creta for slightly better GC and being relatively more abuse friendly.

Quote:
McD?! You'll be lucky to find a snack bar / restaurant. Even expecting a Vittal Kamath is going overboard.
Woaah, no Vithal Kamath in Maharashtra is something else really. As you can tell this is my first trip towards the Konkan region.

Quote:
It is the same bridge but looks like it is now open.
Would we be crossing this bridge even when coming from Bombay, or is this only on the route from Pune?

Quote:
Within Dapoli, you might just get a rickshaw for hire.
Perfect, will use the rick for the ride or two when we venture out. Cleaning the interiors after a beach outing is extremely tedious and taxing!

Quote:
Visit Karde beach (one of the better beaches in this part of Konkan). Not a lot around, Murud: Janjra fort, and Hedavi: Bamanghal are a couple of hours away, so may not be worth the effort.
Noted!

Quote:
and rain predicted for the next few days so plan to have to stay put.
Perfect. Any idea if the region get water logged easily though?

Quote:
Do try Patil Khanawal for typical Konkani fare - but call and book in advance (they're very busy, and fairly arrogant about it).
Sure thing, will call and book today itself..

Quote:
EDIT: have you considered taking the Alibag - Mandwa RORO ferry?
We have used the RORO a few months back for Alibaug. Didn't think they operate in the Monsoon. I'm not very familiar with the region though. How much time does it take to get from Alibag to Mandwa by the RORO and then Mandwa to Dapoli by road?
Old 22nd August 2022, 00:32   #282
Team-BHP Support

Sharing a quick update on the road conditions from our recent trip to Dapoli.

Bombay to Panvel is smooth especially if one exits Navi Mumbai vide Palm Beach road and driving down the terrific Uran-Panvel bypass.

Panvel to Pen is alright with a few deep potholes here and there, but not much to complain about.

Somewhere after Pen right upto Mangaon the NH66 is in shambles.
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img_20220816_1616192.jpg
This treacherous stretch lasts for close to 30 Kms. Forget crossovers even the mighty ladder on frame SUVs had to crawl through this section. The Audi's suspension did well to keep us relatively comfortable. Thanks to the raised ride height of the Audi and I being overly cautious we did not scrape the bottom at any point. There are a handful of smooth stretches less than a few hundred meters long only to lead you to nasty surprises.

Once past Mangaon you will notice a lot of four laning work towards Mahad which is part of the the redevelopment project of the original Mumbai-Goa highway.
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220815wa0034.jpg

I was so thrilled to discover the four laning work that missed the right turn to Dapoli by 5 kms or so This was a blessing in disguise as we spotted a Kamath restaurant bang on the highway. As I soon found out this was different from the familiar Vithal Kamath chain but the food was nearly identical. I highly recommend this joint for a quick stop along this highway. For location reference this Kuber Kamath restaurant is very close to the good old Visava Hotel that used to be a pitstop for most enroute Mahableshwar/ Panchgagini in the pre Mumbai-Pune Expressway era

Mahad to Dapoli through the state highway is pure bliss. Good old narrow country roads with negligible traffic. Tiny river bridges with the infinite shades of green by far exceeded my expectations of what to expect when I had planned this drive holiday.
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220821wa0023.jpg
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220821wa0028.jpg
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220821wa0021.jpg
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220821wa0020.jpg
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img20220815wa0033.jpg

On the way back we took the same return route but somewhere after Roha Google maps prompted us to take the Pali exit towards Khopoli and get back to Bombay via the Pune-Mumbai Express Highway. Doing this we may have avoided atleast 15 if not 20 kms of the terrible stretch between Pen and Mangaon. The Pali exit is a state highway and despite some ongoing highway redevelopment it is in good shape.

Coincidentally our stats for the onward and return drive remained nearly identical despite the minor change in route on the return leg.
Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img_20220813_194149.jpg

Pune - Dapoli : Route Queries-img_20220816_211033.jpg
manson is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:14   #283
BHPian

Any update on which is the preferred route for travelling to Dapoli from Pune?

Gmaps shows one route via bhor and one route via mulshi-tamhini ghat. I am planning to go by my Nexon EV Prime. Anyone done this same route by EV? If yes then can one reach dapoli without charging in between as I am travelling on this sunday and there are chances of return traffic so FCs would be occupied most likely.
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 07:50   #284
BHPian

Ambet bridge is still closed. Ferry added an hour to the drive.
Will take dapoli-mahad-mangaon-tamhini-pune as suggested by locals. Paud is a way better entry into pune as compared to nh4.
Old 14th December 2022, 21:51   #285
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Somewhere after Pen right upto Mangaon the NH66 is in shambles.
Is there any recent update on this section of the NH66? I'm assuming this must have been repaired by now considering monsoon is long over. My in-laws are travelling from Mumbai to Dapoli this weekend, I have recommended them to take the Expressway & take the Exit after Khalapur Toll Plaza onto Imagica & onwards. My Friends tell me some bridge is closed along the way before Dapoli, not sure which one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks