Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 10:16   #1
rippergeo

Cochin to Coimbatore- Alternate/scenic route

Wanted to drive to CBE from COK via the ghats.
I'm tired of driving the same trichur -palaghat-walayar road.

Current plan
Cochin-Munnar-Theni-sembatti-Coimbatore
Would you please fill in some more waypoints on this route and also advise on the road conditions

it would be nice to know by how much my travel distance increases from the current 200 odd kms

Choice of cars available- Swift/Verna/Endeavour. I'm inclined to take the swift.
Plan to do a sunday/or holiday drive. so traffic should be ok right?

Did search for Cochin- coimbatore, but did not find much info on the long(crazy) way round.

I dont have to go via munnar. I just want to drive in the ghats, thats all.Return will be via the regular route, the next day morning after spending some time with relatives in CBE
Please help me out guys.

Last edited by rippergeo : 7th October 2008 at 10:31.

Old 7th October 2008, 10:32   #2
BHPian

Have you tried the Cochin-Ankamaly-Ezhattumugham-Athirappally-Peringalkuthu-Valpara-Pollachi-Cbe route? It is a very scenic way throughout. And the distance also comparable to the trissur-palakkad route. I am not very sure about the road conditions now. The road till peringalkuthu was good 2 months before.
Old 7th October 2008, 10:37   #3
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Have you tried the Cochin-Ankamaly-Ezhattumugham-Athirappally-Peringalkuthu-Valpara-Pollachi-Cbe route? It is a very scenic way throughout. And the distance also comparable to the trissur-palakkad route. I am not very sure about the road conditions now. The road till peringalkuthu was good 2 months before.
thanks for that abhilash.
Will check it.
also I noticed- my waypoints are all screwed up. my original planned route will be much longer than necessary. going through google maps now.

Cochin-munnar-udumalaipet- pollachi-coimbatore is more realistic.

however, abhilash's route seems more appealing. in case road conditions are unknown, I'll play it safe and take bro's endeavour.

Last edited by rippergeo : 7th October 2008 at 10:40.

Old 7th October 2008, 10:51   #4
BHPian

One important thing is to avoid the athirappally-valpara stretch between 6 pm and 6 am. Chances to meet elephants are more during that time.

Hey, OT: when are we trying each others Swifts?
Old 7th October 2008, 11:19   #5
BHPian

Could't resit, why you want to do it the long way around ?
If scenic drive is the reason why to Coimbatore ?

Just curious.

Well you can Take NH-17, then to Perunthelmanna - Malappuram - Gudalloor (not sure about spelling) - Ooty - Coimbatore

Gudalloor - Ooty road is one nice drive.
total will be a bit more than 450Kms
Old 7th October 2008, 11:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

I second Abhilash. The road via Athirapalli is one of teh best jungle drives you can get in those parts. It is 110 kms from Chalakudy to Valparai via Athirapalli, Peringalkuthu, Sholayar and Malakkiparai. Absolute jungle, no people, no facilities, no traffic. Elephants all over at night, you are likley to be regulated at the Peringalkuthu Dam CP. The giant cicadas in this route are something to be heard. And the tall bamboo trees are incredible.

I once completed this circuit on bike (in 1987): Coimbatore-Pollachi-Valparai-Athirapalli-Chalakudy-Trissur-Palakkad-Coinmbatore. Not been on this route for last 4 years, but the road is normally good.

Another route you can try out is from Coimbatore to Attapady, Silent Valley, Mannarghat, Palakkad, Cochin.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:36   #7
BANNED

Take NH17/47, reach Perinthalmanna via Edappal, continue to Mannarkad, drive thru Silent valley, Anaiketti and reach Coimby.
You'll be astonished by the silence and greenery and some good ghat roads.

After Vazhachal, road to Vaalpaara is a real forest road including the surface. Better to do in an Endeavour. And don't forget to keep your eyes open. Many animals to see. A relaxed early morning will be perfect.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:46   #8
BANNED

Does not the Vazachal - Vaalpara route require some special redtape formalities?
Old 7th October 2008, 11:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Does not the Vazachal - Vaalpara route require some special redtape formalities?
No, it is a public road, except that the CP is closed between 8 pm and 6 am. Nonetheless, vehicles also ply on that road at night.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Actually, when you are going from Ernakulam, you need not go to Chalakudy now. There is a new bridge across the chalakudy river at Ezhattumugham.

After Ankamaly, take right from the Karayamparambu junction. From there via. Mookannoor you can reach Ezhattumugham. There is plantation corporation's check post. After that a bridge will take you directly to Chalakudy-Athirappally road (will reach in front of Silverstorm). Take right from there. By doing so, the Ankamaly-Chalakudy stretch NH47 (where widening is going on) can be avoided and there is a small saving in kilometers also.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I second Abhilash. The road via Athirapalli is one of teh best jungle drives you can get in those parts. It is 110 kms from Chalakudy to Valparai via Athirapalli, Peringalkuthu, Sholayar and Malakkiparai. Absolute jungle, no people, no facilities, no traffic. And the tall bamboo trees are incredible.
My two cents.

It is one of the scary and at the same time exciting routes that I have traveled. We wanted to do a day trip to valparai from coimbatore and come back. We went to a dam in Valparai and saw a signboard saying adhirampalli xx (dont remember the distance) kms. We then took a decision to visit the falls and took that route.

It was noon time and we didn't even see a single vehicle in the opposite direction for almost 20 to 30 kilometers and the entire stretch was deserted and dark because of thick forest. In fact, I remember seeing only a handful of vehicles coming from the other side during the entire journey.

Take that route, you will not regret it.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Wanted to drive to CBE from COK via the ghats.
I would suggest you to take Cochin-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha-Kattappana-Kumily-Theni-Pollachi-Coimbatore.

You could try Cochin-Pala-Kanjirappilly-Kuttikkanam-Kumily-Theni-Pollachi-Coimbatore.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:52   #13
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Could't resit, why you want to do it the long way around ?
If scenic drive is the reason why to Coimbatore ?

Just curious.
Just curious! thats the reason.like you
its always nice to see new routes.
I have been cooped up at home for a few months now. Have a legitimate excuse to go to CBE, for some work and to visit relatives, but, really bored with the regular route. so it becomes a business/social/entertainment trip all in one.

now that HVK and many others have endorsed the route, thats what I'll be taking. will do it in the endy like zak said.
Cant wait to go

Old 7th October 2008, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Have you tried the Cochin-Ankamaly-Ezhattumugham-Athirappally-Peringalkuthu-Valpara-Pollachi-Cbe route? It is a very scenic way throughout.
Great suggestion! Do visit the good Dr. Madhavan (WildCard) in Pollachi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Take NH17/47, reach Perinthalmanna via Edappal, continue to Mannarkad, drive thru Silent valley, Anaiketti and reach Coimby.
You'll be astonished by the silence and greenery and some good ghat roads.
Also nice, but can be tedious as it involves too many state roads through small towns. The fun starts after Mannarkad, but chances are you'll be tearing your hair out by the time you reach Mannarkad.

ripper - the Kumili route is too long. If you can do that, you might as well drive down to Kanyakumari and then up to Coimbatore.
Zak - I guess you dont want ripper to meet your good "friend" in Valparai?
Old 7th October 2008, 17:22   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Also nice, but can be tedious as it involves too many state roads through small towns. The fun starts after Mannarkad, but chances are you'll be tearing your hair out by the time you reach Mannarkad.
Very true. Will be tedious if not done very early in the morning.
Quote:
ripper - the Kumili route is too long. If you can do that, you might as well drive down to Kanyakumari and then up to Coimbatore.

Quote:
Zak - I guess you dont want ripper to meet your good "friend" in Valparai?
Exactly. I don't want him to be sleeping in the dog house. LOL!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks