Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gurgaon to Dhaka

I have some plans in a very nascent stage, to do the above route sometime in December '08. I believe one has to go via Kolkata and there are two routes to Kolkata - one via Bulandshahar, Kanpur etc. and the other via Bareilly Lko. The latter is a longer but safer route I presume and the roads too are good except for the Hapur - Moradabad section.

Secondly to Dhaka, does one have to go via Kolkata or is there any other route as well. Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?

Thanks in advance...
Old 14th October 2008, 15:56   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I have some plans in a very nascent stage, to do the above route sometime in December '08. I believe one has to go via Kolkata and there are two routes to Kolkata - one via Bulandshahar, Kanpur etc. and the other via Bareilly Lko. The latter is a longer but safer route I presume and the roads too are good except for the Hapur - Moradabad section.

Secondly to Dhaka, does one have to go via Kolkata or is there any other route as well. Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?

Thanks in advance...
Guruji, the best route to Kanpur is via Agra. Take the Mathura Road to Agra, and then further to Kanpur. Both the roads you have mentioned are in extremely bad condition and aren't recommended.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 14th October 2008 at 16:10.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offense to anyone but my experience with B'desh Visas has been that they try & make it as difficult for you as possible. During the course of my visits to Dhaka in the past three years or so, I have very rarely been given multiple entry Visas - have had to go through the same bureaucratic bull each time.

So don't expect it to be easy access by road. Just curious - why Dhaka?????
Old 14th October 2008, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

What happened to South India road trip plan ?
Old 14th October 2008, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
He can't cross over to Colombo by road
Old 14th October 2008, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you do, please do not finish this in 35 hours (with or without hallucinations).
Old 14th October 2008, 16:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Torn between relations - South India from my side and Dhaka from wife's side. Now don't get ideas, I didn't marry a Bong. She is a Rajput from Jodhpur.

Her sister is relocating to Dhaka. She came back from Dhaka on Sunday and this morning recounted stories (I was hoping it would be horror stories) from that place. They have a big house there and her husband drives a Nissan. Lots of seafood, fish etc., .....ssslluuuuurrrrp.

I've put a spanner of sorts saying if I go, I'll take the road route. If it works then maybe or else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No offense to anyone but my experience with B'desh Visas has been that they try & make it as difficult for you as possible. During the course of my visits to Dhaka in the past three years or so, I have very rarely been given multiple entry Visas - have had to go through the same bureaucratic bull each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
And why not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whatever you do, please do not finish this in 35 hours (with or without hallucinations).

Last edited by gd1418 : 14th October 2008 at 16:17.
Old 14th October 2008, 16:21   #8
BANNED

Guruji!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Somebody get me an ambulance, please!

Guruji, why all of a sudden? Change in plans? Bandhavgarh and South India is boring now? Or you want to shoot some exotic, unfamiliar birds? Or Behenji's punishment for attending the official late evening meetings? LOL!!
Old 14th October 2008, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Zaki, I explained the reason in the above post. Exotic birds have always brought out the best in me.. Actually after seeing the photographs posted by 'ganjawaala', Behenji is longing to meet you and wants me to inform her of the next meet. What do you say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Guruji, why all of a sudden? Change in plans? Bandhavgarh and South India is boring now? Or you want to shoot some exotic, unfamiliar birds? Or Behenji's punishment for attending the official late evening meetings? LOL!!
Old 14th October 2008, 17:39   #10
BANNED

Ooi ma!
I'm outta Delhi. I want to be alive.

Didn't see that post, Guruji.

So, it's Dhaka plus South India. You're welcome.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:

With respect to my erstwhile country people, getting a Bangladesh visa is the easiest thing possible. There are fixed rates for business visas and ordinary (tourist) visas, and the rates are higher for multiple-entry.

In Delhi, last year, the rate was Rs. 5,000.00 for a single entry business visa. I don't know if inflation has taken its toll.

All payments strictly in cash please.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
In Delhi, last year, the rate was Rs. 5,000.00 for a single entry business visa. I don't know if inflation has taken its toll.

All payments strictly in cash please.
Yeah I know, but I work for a company where we do not take the unethical route for Business Visas. Go the usual Embassy route & they make it as much of a bureaucratic bungle as possible.

But this would be useful information for GD if he wishes to shell out extra money to visit Dhaka
Old 16th October 2008, 09:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

While I thank all for some valuable inputs, I'm once again mentioning a part of my OP that went unanswered. Has anybody here driven to Dhaka/Bangladesh? If yes, the experience in organising the logistics would be of great help to me.

Quote:
Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Thanks in advance...
Old 16th October 2008, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

There is only one sensible option for coming to Calcutta from Gurgaon. The GQ/NH2. Night one should be in Benares (Faridabad, Agra, Ettawah, Kanpur, Allahabad, Benares - there is a thread on this section by a doctor, I think docabhijeet is his name). Night two is Kolkata (you can see my log for this section in another thread). Night three is in Dhaka. It takes eight hours approximately - Kolkata-Dhaka, that is. Kolkata to the Petrapole border might not be a very pleasant drive, what with lots of trucks parked on the road for transhipment.
If you are really keen to avoid Kolkata there are ways. Through north-Bengal. But it might add a few more days to your total travel plan. I would suggest you avoid entering metropolitan Calcutta and spend the night nearer the border. The airport area would suit you actually.
The B'desh embassy should be able to tell you about the precise rule for taking your private car there. There is an overnight bus service between Kolkata to Dhaka.
After you finalise everything and get the visa I will ask the drivers for a precise report about the road condition.
No. Entering Bangladesh for an Indian is not as easy as it is in Nepal. Passport/visa is must (unlike Nepal/Bhutan). It is not as tough as Pakistan but fairly tough. But relations are improving. They are plying buses and trains etc now. So, yes paperwork would be involved but it's not a fortress. I haven't gone there personally but have scores of friends who have gone, none driving though.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 16th October 2008 at 11:25.
Old 16th October 2008, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah I know, but I work for a company where we do not take the unethical route for Business Visas. Go the usual Embassy route & they make it as much of a bureaucratic bungle as possible.

But this would be useful information for GD if he wishes to shell out extra money to visit Dhaka
Hmmm. Ethics rears its ugly head!

There is another way (aren't there always?). The Arthashastra mentions Daan, Saam, Danda and Bheda. No need to go to Danda and Bheda - enough of that already, with or without the politicians that we have on either side. If Daan is not a feasible route (jokes aside, I don't hold with it personally), we can do Saam.

Unfortunately, while I can work it, I think, using old connections, I can go that route only in Calcutta, and only if GD is prepared to spend a day or two camped in Calcutta. A lot of groundwork is involved. It's straight, no irregular payments, or at least, this way of proceeding doesn't hinge on such payments.

If it's very important, GD, and other routes dry up, I can talk to you about it on PM. No guarantees; best effort only.

bonobashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks