Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 21:21   #16
BANNED

@govigov, the only inter-State check post you will encounter would be Manjeshwar; not Muthanga. Muthanga is in Wynad.

In case you want to avoid the Edappally - Paravoor, you can take the High Court - Goshree bridges - Vypeen - Cherai - Munambam - Maliankara - Kodungallur route.
Old 19th November 2008, 00:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case you want to avoid the Edappally - Paravoor, you can take the High Court - Goshree bridges - Vypeen - Cherai - Munambam - Maliankara - Kodungallur route.
Nice Suggestion.Forgot about this .and Once upon a time there was ferry.
Old 19th November 2008, 02:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would be starting in the wee hours and not exactly keen on the goshree route, i can reach edapally within 7 kilometers. that easier for me. or else i will have to go back to high court.
Old 19th November 2008, 04:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

I happened to drive to Kollur on December 6th a few years back without checking the date - the drive through Kasargode district (to be precise, Kasargode town itself and a few kms thereafter - the rest of the place was okay) was a bit tense with sporadic incidents of stone throwing. We drove through at 120+ kmph as the policeman said no issues, just make sure you dont stop for anyone even if they are in the middle of the road.
Old 7th April 2009, 10:45   #20
BHPian

This is an old thread, but I'm bumping it up to query for a hotel accommodation near Kundapur. The usual hotel I stay is Sharon, but they are full up in mid-April. I like Sharon because they take phone reservations and they religiously hold on to the room till 10 PM for people like me who drive down from Pune.

Do you know of any good hotel near Kundapur that takes phone reservations? I need the telephone numbers ASAP. I don't need too many luxuries -- all I need is a 2 bed with a clean toilet.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 7th April 2009 at 10:47.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
This is an old thread, but I'm bumping it up to query for a hotel accommodation near Kundapur. The usual hotel I stay is Sharon, but they are full up in mid-April. I like Sharon because they take phone reservations and they religiously hold on to the room till 10 PM for people like me who drive down from Pune.

Do you know of any good hotel near Kundapur that takes phone reservations? I need the telephone numbers ASAP. I don't need too many luxuries -- all I need is a 2 bed with a clean toilet.

Thanks,

Pradeep
You have several choices, but Hotel Sharon is the best place to stay & Shetty Lunch Home (Ghee roast chicken, Kane fish masala fry) is the best place to eat
Old 19th October 2010, 23:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hi, I am planning to travel from Thrissur to Mookambika on Thursday. Can anyone help on the road conditions, and also the best route, with possible stops?
We're thinking to leave around 5am from Thrissur (4 adults + 1 child).
Old 19th October 2010, 23:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Route is pretty straightforward.
TRissur-KUnnamkulam-Edappal-Valancherry-Feroke-Kozhikode-Koyilandy-Wadakara-Mahe-Talaserry-Kannur-Payyanur-Kanhangad-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-KUndapura-Kollur

ON NH17 all the way (except between Kunnamkulam & Valancherry) and after Kundapura.

You can do the drive in one day. However, road conditions are bad to terrible in many sectors, especially:
Wadakara-Talaserry
KL-KA border
Udupi-KUndapura

Traffic is very high all across North KL and DK/Udupi districts.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route is pretty straightforward.
TRissur-KUnnamkulam-Edappal-Valancherry-Feroke-Kozhikode-Koyilandy-Wadakara-Mahe-Talaserry-Kannur-Payyanur-Kanhangad-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-KUndapura-Kollur

ON NH17 all the way (except between Kunnamkulam & Valancherry) and after Kundapura.

You can do the drive in one day. However, road conditions are bad to terrible in many sectors, especially:
Wadakara-Talaserry
KL-KA border
Udupi-KUndapura

Traffic is very high all across North KL and DK/Udupi districts.
Hi Kumar, thanks for the quick response. With a 6am start from Thrissur, and with normal speed driving, will I be able to cover the distance in 12 hours - with sufficent breaks in between?
Old 20th October 2010, 09:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

12 hours should be doable, but everything depends on traffic conditions. Ensure that you bypass Kozhikode city.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:15   #26
BHPian

I belief, 6am will be little late. You can expect heavy traffic beyond Kozhikode till Thalipparamba on all week days. Sundays there could be little relax. My suggestion is start by 4am, so that you can reach Kozhikode by 6am. Average driving hours will be

Thrissur - Kozhikode -> ~2hrs
Kozhikode - Kannur -> ~2hrs
Kannur - Kasargode -> ~2hrs+ (Road is bad at many places. Also remember to take NH at Kanhangad)
Kasargode -> Mangalore -> ~1hr
Mangalore - Kollur -> ~2.30hrs

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 20th October 2010, 11:34   #27
BANNED

+1 to what HVK said. Two close relatives have travelled to M'lore via NH17 from Cochin in recent couple of months On both occassions, reports were that Kasargod to M'lore is very bad. They travelled by taxi, leaving their own vehicles home because of advice they received on road conditions.

If an option, consider taking a train up to Kundapura and take taxi / bus from there. Err... very bad advice from a bhpian, but those are the reports I get.

Have not doen the stretch myself for a looong time.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 20th October 2010 at 11:43. Reason: Did not look at who I am responding to ;-)
Old 20th October 2010, 12:34   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
12 hours should be doable, but everything depends on traffic conditions. Ensure that you bypass Kozhikode city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I belief, 6am will be little late. You can expect heavy traffic beyond Kozhikode till Thalipparamba on all week days. Sundays there could be little relax. My suggestion is start by 4am, so that you can reach Kozhikode by 6am. Average driving hours will be

Thrissur - Kozhikode -> ~2hrs
Kozhikode - Kannur -> ~2hrs
Kannur - Kasargode -> ~2hrs+ (Road is bad at many places. Also remember to take NH at Kanhangad)
Kasargode -> Mangalore -> ~1hr
Mangalore - Kollur -> ~2.30hrs

Thanks
Rajesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
+1 to what HVK said. Two close relatives have travelled to M'lore via NH17 from Cochin in recent couple of months On both occassions, reports were that Kasargod to M'lore is very bad. They travelled by taxi, leaving their own vehicles home because of advice they received on road conditions.

If an option, consider taking a train up to Kundapura and take taxi / bus from there. Err... very bad advice from a bhpian, but those are the reports I get.

Thanks for all your feedback. I will try to do a 4am start (as mentioned by Rajesh). By the way, any idea what is the distance from Thrissur to Kollur?
Old 20th October 2010, 12:56   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
By the way, any idea what is the distance from Thrissur to Kollur?

IIRC, this is answered in HVK's earlier posts in this thread.
Old 24th October 2010, 17:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Should have taken your advice!
Started on 21st morning 4:50am from Thrissur, and reached Kollur around 9:45pm. Thats around 13+ hours of drive - for 482 kms!

The break-up is like this:
Thrissur - Kozhikode: 118 km, 2 hrs
Kozhikode - Kannur: 86 km, 2 hrs 15 mins
Kannaur - Mangalore: 161 km, 5 hrs 30 mins
Mangalore - Kollur: 117 km, 3 hrs, 15 mins

Absolutely no road exist after Neeleswaram until Mangalore, and traffic around Mangalore is quite bad.

The Ford Ikon 1.6 returned an overall fuel efficency of 12 kmpl (for the whole journey). Planning to take the car for an overall checkup and wheel alignment tomorrow. It was indeed a test of Ikon's off-roading capabilities!

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th October 2010 at 17:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks