Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 17:18   #1
BHPian

Routre From Mumbai To Corbet National Park

I am planning to drive from Mumbai to the following places in Uttaranchal in the end of January 2009 in the following order :
a) Corbet
b) Binsar Village at hainsori, Almora-Bageshwar Road,
c) Auli Skiing Village , Joshimath District .
d ) Haridwar & back to Mumbai

Please advice on the route to take , the road condition in Jan - Feb . We will be traveling in petrol swift or diesel Indigo .

Many thanks in advance.
Old 16th October 2008, 19:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Take the GQ NH8 and drive to Delhi and from here you've two routes to Corbett - one via Meerut - Kiratpur - Corbett and the other on NH24 to Moradabad via Hapur and then on NH74 to Corbett. The latter route is what most of the Delhiites prefer. Presently due to some NHAI work the road between Moradabad and Haldwani is bad. If you're not crawling between dozens of unfinished flyovers, you're rattling your teeth out over patches that continue for kilometers at a stretch.

Hope this improves by the time you make your trip. Jan-Feb are cold seasons here, so be prepared for foggy conditions that might hamper driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish.Thapar View Post
I am planning to drive from Mumbai to the following places in Uttaranchal in the end of January 2009 in the following order :
a) Corbet

Please advice on the route to take , the road condition in Jan - Feb . We will be traveling in petrol swift or diesel Indigo .

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by gd1418 : 16th October 2008 at 19:25.
Old 16th October 2008, 20:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) Corbet

Many thanks in advance.
I went exactly in that order from Bombay, except for the Hardwar part.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Uttaranchal, North India, Oct 2006

The above link is my log book of that trip.

You will note my route for that trip was as follows:

Bombay-Surat-Baroda-A'Bad-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi

Delhi-Hapur-Moradabad-Kashipur-Ramanagar-Corbett

Corbett-Nainital-Binsar-Gwaldam-Joshimath-Badrinath

Badrinath-Jishimath-Deoprayag-Tehri-Dhanolti-Musoorie

Road condition will be good, except that the road between Baijanath and Gwaldam has snowfall, so you can expect disruptions in that route which connects Binsar to Joshimath (for Auli).

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Uttaranchal, Sep 2005

In the above log book, you can see the route from Bombay to Hardwar via Delhi.

And as Guru mentioned, you are going to have a tough time driving in Delhi-UP region in heavy fog conditions. I am told that even in Corbett Park, visibility is low affecting animal sightings.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th November 2008 at 19:40.
Old 20th October 2008, 19:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Take the GQ NH8 and drive to Delhi and from here you've two routes to Corbett - one via Meerut - Kiratpur - Corbett and the other on NH24 to Moradabad via Hapur and then on NH74 to Corbett. The latter route is what most of the Delhiites prefer. Presently due to some NHAI work the road between Moradabad and Haldwani is bad. If you're not crawling between dozens of unfinished flyovers, you're rattling your teeth out over patches that continue for kilometers at a stretch.

Hope this improves by the time you make your trip. Jan-Feb are cold seasons here, so be prepared for foggy conditions that might hamper driving.
Thank you , Yeah did not think about the Fog .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And as Guru mentioned, you are going to have a tough time driving in Delhi-UP region in heavy fog conditions. I am told that even in Corbett Park, visibility is low affecting animal sightings.
@ H V Kumar , Many thanks , for all the information , the spread sheet is very informative . While we were making this travel plan , we did not account for the Fog , we were only worried about the snow and & the effects of melting snow - as we encountered from Manali to Leh , the streams of water had washed away the road .

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th November 2008 at 19:41. Reason: see note in post
Old 20th October 2008, 20:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think end of december and begining of january is when the fog is at its best, but end january the fog is'nt that bad. Am i wrong there? Delhiites plss give your opinion.

Also one suggestion, in Jim Corbett make sure you book yourself In Dhikala rest house. Its right in the middle of the forest and gives you a nice feel of being in the jungle. you can see lots of wild life there roaming around.
Old 21st October 2008, 00:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also, rule out night driving on the Delhi-Moradabad-Ramnagar route. Delhi-Moradabad is incredibly dangerous due to the ongoing 4-laning work. The situation is so bad that even though I travel on it multiple times a week, it still springs a surprise or two on me every time.

And Moradabad-Ramnagar is not advised because it's a deserted route so if you do need any help/assistance at an odd hour, it won't be a pretty situation.

And as advised above, do take care of the fog situation (especially after 12am till about 10am) since NH24 can get particularly bad around the Gajurala-Moradabad stretch. Lots of accidents take place on this stretch every year due to the fog resulting in long jams at times.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I think end of december and begining of january is when the fog is at its best, but end january the fog is'nt that bad. Am i wrong there? Delhiites plss give your opinion.

Also one suggestion, in Jim Corbett make sure you book yourself In Dhikala rest house. Its right in the middle of the forest and gives you a nice feel of being in the jungle. you can see lots of wild life there roaming around.
Many thanks , if you have the contact details of Dhikala rest house for booking , do send the same .

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also, rule out night driving on the Delhi-Moradabad-Ramnagar route. Delhi-Moradabad is incredibly dangerous due to the ongoing 4-laning work. The situation is so bad that even though I travel on it multiple times a week, it still springs a surprise or two on me every time.

And Moradabad-Ramnagar is not advised because it's a deserted route so if you do need any help/assistance at an odd hour, it won't be a pretty situation.

And as advised above, do take care of the fog situation (especially after 12am till about 10am) since NH24 can get particularly bad around the Gajurala-Moradabad stretch. Lots of accidents take place on this stretch every year due to the fog resulting in long jams at times.
Thank you , now were trying to do this road trip around middle of March . Around that time will there be " Fog " ????????

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th November 2008 at 19:42.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was trying to find out the state government web site for Dhikala but wasnt successful. Anyways found this toll free number for Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam (KMVN) 1800-180-4021. Or you could also check in mumbai if KMVN has any office. Well they have it it Jaipur and in Delhi where they take bookings for Dhikala so they might also have it in Mumbai
Old 20th February 2009, 17:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I was trying to find out the state government web site for Dhikala but wasnt successful. Anyways found this toll free number for Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam (KMVN) 1800-180-4021. Or you could also check in mumbai if KMVN has any office. Well they have it it Jaipur and in Delhi where they take bookings for Dhikala so they might also have it in Mumbai
I plan to take this road trip in the first week of March , the swift is all serviced and ready , got new Philip Extra vision plus .
Do advice on the road condition .
Plan to leave Bombay at around 4 am and try to get as near to Jaipur before night fall . Any good RTDC hotels between Udaipur & Jaipur ?
Old 20th February 2009, 23:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to take this road trip in the first week of March , the swift is all serviced and ready , got new Philip Extra vision plus .
Do advice on the road condition .
Plan to leave Bombay at around 4 am and try to get as near to Jaipur before night fall . Any good RTDC hotels between Udaipur & Jaipur ?
If you leave Bombay at 4 am and you are a fast driver, you can reach Jaipur by nightfall with minimal breaks not exceeding 1 hour.

RTDC hotels - RTDC Hotel Panna at Chittorgarh 110 kms from Udaipur. But you have to go into town, now that the bypass is open.

Kishnagarh - Hotel Panaghat, which is on NH8 after your NH79 joins it (within 1/2 km) and just before the toll gate for the Kishangarh-Jaipur expressway.
Old 21st February 2009, 02:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Road conditions between Hapur-Gajraula are as bad as ever but other areas have improved to some extent. Fog is also not a problem any more.
Old 6th April 2009, 17:35   #12
BHPian

Many Thanks for all the advice and information & specially to H V Kumar for the excel sheet ( driving directions ) it was very helpful .

On the way back we did Rishikash to Ajmer ( via Delhi ) in one day , the next day we left Ajmer at 9 am and were are Dahisar toll booth at 11.30 pm , we were are Baroda at 4:30 pm but got lot of trafic between Baroda & Surat .

All this is Tata Indigo which had already done 60,000 Km !!!

Once the strech between Baroda & Surat is done , Bombay Delhi in under 20 Hrs will be do able !
Old 9th April 2009, 22:13   #13
BHPian

Please give more details of your trip both ways and accompanied by photos wherever possible.
Old 26th December 2023, 16:08   #14

Route for Mumbai to Jim Corbett (Ramnagar - Uttarakhand)

Mod note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Friends,

I am exploring to drive down to Ramnagar UT from Mumbai on 29/30 Dec. Below are the options that i am exploring.

Day 1 - Drive from Mumbai to Vadodara and take a night halt at Vadodara.
Day 2 - Leave Vadodara early morning and reach Delhi/Gurgaon after taking partially opened Delhi Mumbai Expressway between Thandla - Bhanpur and Lalsot - Gurgaon.
Day 3 - Leave Delgi/Gurgaon and reach Ramnagar which is a relatively short drive.

I need your inputs on the route mentioned above, pls advice if there is a better route.

I am concerned about the fog situation during morning and after sunset.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th December 2023 at 21:42.
Old 24th April 2024, 00:06   #15
BHPian

Re: Route for Mumbai to Jim Corbett (Ramnagar - Uttarakhand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhypras View Post
I am exploring to drive down to Ramnagar UT from Mumbai on 29/30 Dec.
Hi, did you drive from Mumbai to Ramnagar? How were the roads and the route you took? I am planning to drive to Ramnagar in May from Mumbai.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks