Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 13:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Didn't for a moment doubt your honesty Vasudeva. Sorry if I gave that impression.
No need to be sorry since I did not perceive what you are perceiving.
Old 19th December 2014, 01:03   #17
BHPian

Mission snow searching

Dear Himachal experts, kindly guide me towards destinations where I can witness SNOWFALL and not just snow. Last year I went to Mussoorie, Dhanaulti and other upper areas in that region during new year's, but could not find snowfall anywhere. Just got little amount of snow on some stretches on the way.

The idea is to leave from Delhi on 27th of December, and come back by maximum 5th january, with the only agenda of having a quiet vacation and snowfall. Last I witnessed SNOWFALL was almost 10 years back in Dalhousie.

There is only one limitation in this whole plan- The car I would be travelling in is a Honda Civic Automatic. So, I think I cant be too ambitious with the places. I think the best I can do is maybe Manali. Please give your inputs guys.

Also, if someone can give me advice on precautions to be taken with the car, that would be great. I know a low GC automatic wont be the ideal choice for this trip, but that's what I can make do with right now.
Old 19th December 2014, 01:31   #18
BHPian

Re: Mission snow searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post
Dear Himachal experts, kindly guide me towards destinations where I can witness SNOWFALL and not just snow. Last year I went to Mussoorie, Dhanaulti and other upper areas in that region during new year's, but could not find snowfall anywhere. Just got little amount of snow on some stretches on the way.

The idea is to leave from Delhi on 27th of December, and come back by maximum 5th january, with the only agenda of having a quiet vacation and snowfall. Last I witnessed SNOWFALL was almost 10 years back in Dalhousie.

There is only one limitation in this whole plan- The car I would be travelling in is a Honda Civic Automatic. So, I think I cant be too ambitious with the places. I think the best I can do is maybe Manali. Please give your inputs guys.

Also, if someone can give me advice on precautions to be taken with the car, that would be great. I know a low GC automatic wont be the ideal choice for this trip, but that's what I can make do with right now.
I think confirming a place where you will definately see a snowfall will be tough. You can check weather forecasts for a few places and then decide.

Upper parts of Shimla and Manali can be a good option to start checking. Rohtang will be tough in such conditions for the Civic I think. Area above Shimla like Kufri etc might still be doable.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 02:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Try going towards narkanda/hatu or jalori pass. You can stay overnight at narkanda / khanag / ghiyagi etc in that case.

Esp in march, (dont know now) narkanda would get snow in the evening that would melt by morning 10am nicely.

Avoid rohtang. its never been anything less than a silly jam point.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 10:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Try going towards narkanda/hatu or jalori pass. You can stay overnight at narkanda / khanag / ghiyagi etc in that case.
Narkanda/ Hatu is definitely on the list Will Jalori pass be doable in a Civic? I've heard previously that it gets shut by November. Is that the case or is it open for vehicles?

Any pointers on Kalpa? Will that be open at this time and will it be doable in my ride?
Old 19th December 2014, 12:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post
Will Jalori pass be doable in a Civic? I've heard previously that it gets shut by November. Is that the case or is it open for vehicles?
Jalori pass is shut by November end - and remains shut in the months of December, January and February.
There was recent snowfall in the region - so it most definitely will remain shut.

Quote:
Any pointers on Kalpa?
Will that be open at this time and will it be doable in my ride?
Getting to Kalpa in a low GC vehicle in the height of winter is not advisable. Further the route from Jeori to Chooling is in bad shape and onset of winter makes it worse -so stay away.
You may try going to Sarahan - take a right from Jeori. Be advised though that the road from Jeori to Sarahan is a narrow single lane road without barricades for much of the way. Drive very slowly especially if the tarmac is covered in snow.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks