Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 15:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Just posting this question on behalf of a friend. Is there any way to travel between Mumbai and Pune (NH4) via 2 wheeler by completely bypassing the Expressway ? Apparently there is one turn near Lonavala Ghat section that ended up on the Expressway where 2 wheelers are not allowed. So he wants to know if hes missing some turn or going the wrong way.
NH4 traffic is allowed (Including 2 wheelers) on Eway at one section in the ghat where the old highway traffic has to use Eway. I have seen bikers and other vehicles getting on to Eway from NH4 in this ghat section near Lonawala.
Old 8th November 2010, 22:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks neoonwheels , have passed on that info to my friend
Old 18th January 2012, 10:32   #18
BHPian

Re: Pune- Mumbai Expressway to NH-8 - what is the best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Mumbra Bypass Flyover, 5 kms
This is a super bypass which flies over Mumbra own and is a great drive
Just travelled on the Mumbra bypass while coming back from Bhopal to Bangalore via Nashik and Pune - this road has deteriorated and is in a bad shape. Also the stretch between where the bypass ends till we get to Kalamboli has also deteriorated has sprung up numerous unscientific speed breakers - the only stretch where my Civic touched the breakers in my entire journey. Really felt sad that Mumbai has become the worst place to bypass especially with such fantastic bypasses across all other stretches of NH and GQ that I crossed. Wonder why they charge toll on these roads.

Regards
Vijay
Old 18th January 2012, 11:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Just travelled on the Mumbra bypass while coming back from Bhopal to Bangalore via Nashik and Pune - this road has deteriorated and is in a bad shape. Also the stretch between where the bypass ends till we get to Kalamboli has also deteriorated has sprung up numerous unscientific speed breakers - the only stretch where my Civic touched the breakers in my entire journey. Really felt sad that Mumbai has become the worst place to bypass especially with such fantastic bypasses across all other stretches of NH and GQ that I crossed. Wonder why they charge toll on these roads.

Regards
Vijay
It is always in bad condition and we don't go anytime on that route. The best way to bypass Bombay is always the Ghodbunder/Thane-Mulund-Airoli-New Bombay Turbhe-Belapur-Expressway route.

The post that you have quoted of mine dates back to Oct 2008 when the Mumbra bypass was newly built, but after that the road has never been good!

Please stick to the route via New Bombay, which I am giving details below in the following links:

Bypassing from the South (Pune/Goa side) to get to NH3/NH8 (Ghodbunder)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...3mzw-hvZ4/edit

Bypassing from the North (NH8/Ghodbunder) to get to NH3/NH4 (towards Pune)/NH17 (towards Goa)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...bNcsoRGHc/edit

Last edited by hvkumar : 18th January 2012 at 12:04.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:01   #20
BHPian

Thanks a ton. Will use the alternative route going forward. Used your quote from 2008 as a reference as I could not find a more recent update on the Mumbra bypass. I blindly followed what my mapmyindia device told me to do, unfortunately.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is always in bad condition and we don't go anytime on that route. The best way to bypass Bombay is always the Ghodbunder/Thane-Mulund-Airoli-New Bombay Turbhe-Belapur-Expressway route.
@hvk,
Are you referring to the road going from Mumbra to Shil phata and onwards to Panvel. Last I heard was that the road was being concretized till Shill Phata. Is it still potholed road as it used to be earlier.

The only advantage of using this road is the avoidance of two tolls.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Thanks a ton. Will use the alternative route going forward. Used your quote from 2008 as a reference as I could not find a more recent update on the Mumbra bypass. I blindly followed what my mapmyindia device told me to do, unfortunately.
Unfortunately, MMI routes you that way, road is not only bad but also lands you in a couple of confusing junctions. I have suggested to MMI to change their routing for Bombay bypass.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@hvk,
Are you referring to the road going from Mumbra to Shil phata and onwards to Panvel. Last I heard was that the road was being concretized till Shill Phata. Is it still potholed road as it used to be earlier.

The only advantage of using this road is the avoidance of two tolls.
I used the Shil Phata-Thane road on Jan 1, it is not bad, but not good either. Heavy truck traffic, lots of miscellaneous vehicles. Confusing sign boards.
You have to pay at 2 toll gates too, so that nullifies any advantage over the New Bombay route.
Problem is you will get completely confused at the Bhiwandi bypass toll gate and thereafter the messy turn off under Thane Kapurbawdi flyover onto GHodbunder Road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I used the Shil Phata-Thane road on Jan 1, it is not bad, but not good either. Heavy truck traffic, lots of miscellaneous vehicles. Confusing sign boards.
You have to pay at 2 toll gates too, so that nullifies any advantage over the New Bombay route.
Problem is you will get completely confused at the Bhiwandi bypass toll gate and thereafter the messy turn off under Thane Kapurbawdi flyover onto GHodbunder Road.
Came back from Vapi yesterday via Mumbra bypass. Yes, road is of concrete, but quality of finishing is equivalent to semi potholed road. And after Shil Phata there are speed breakers every km till expressway.
And why on the earth they can not understand need of proper sign boards for expressway/pune. There are plenty sign for Bhiwandi, Kalyan & Nashik but none for Expressway-Pune-Bangalore.

P.S: There were signboards of Four Lane road From Manor-Biwandi-Panvel-JNPT placed at Manor Phata. Is it completed? How Kalyan & Panvel will be connected? Via Taloja bypass?

P.S 2: At Bhilad border, Thane RTO was removing films from the glasses and some 15 odd vehicles were waiting for striptease!!! There were poor souls in innvoa on flight run & were cribbing hard to let it go but nothing worked!

Last edited by zalaps : 18th February 2013 at 17:19. Reason: Glass film update
Old 19th February 2013, 22:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post

P.S: There were signboards of Four Lane road From Manor-Biwandi-Panvel-JNPT placed at Manor Phata. Is it completed? How Kalyan & Panvel will be connected? Via Taloja bypass?
Don't even try that road. They are all messy, 2-laned, go through crowded towns like Bhiwandi & Kalyan & very very confusing for even those familiar with the region.

Connection from Kalyan is through Dombivli, Shil Phata & Turbhe, busy industrial areas in the latter part.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 13:07   #26
BHPian

Last week I used Airoli route while going back to Vapi. Thanks to detailed instruction from HVK. It was easy navigating with same. Couple of observations:

1. Toll comes exactly INR 60 whatever route you may choose. Either Mumbra or Airoli.
2. There is ban on heavy vehicle movement from Mumbra bypass from 09:00 to 21:00. Result of the same - NH8 from ghodbunder stays empty with nill traffic towards GJ. What I learnt:
Quote:
While coming from South: Always try to leave expressway by 20:00 to avoid heavy traffic lately in NH8. But leaving expressway at 20:00 means hell lot of traffic in Mumbai hence to avoid both traffic scenarios leaving expressway at 16:00 sounds more logical. I was about hour late & started at 17:00 from kalamboli and faced bit of traffic in thane.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:30   #27
BHPian

hi guys

I will do vapi to pune this weekend, assuming we will start at 1600hrs from vapi which will be the better route to bypass mumbai considering the evening traffic?
ghodbander -thane -mubra or ghodbander thane airoli ? please advise as i start from vapi today.
thanks in advance
Old 24th May 2013, 08:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
hi guys

I will do vapi to pune this weekend, assuming we will start at 1600hrs from vapi which will be the better route to bypass mumbai considering the evening traffic?
ghodbander -thane -mubra or ghodbander thane airoli ? please advise as i start from vapi today.
thanks in advance
24x7 the Thane-MUmbra-Kalamboli route is NOT advices.
Regardless of time of the day, take the Thane-EEH-Airoli-Turbhe-Kalamboli route.
You will face heavy traffic between 700-830 pm, so you will reach Thane region in peak hour traffic time (Vapi 400 pm, Thane 700 pm)
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 09:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
hi guys

thanks in advance
Quote:
24x7 the Thane-MUmbra-Kalamboli route is NOT advices.
Regardless of time of the day, take the Thane-EEH-Airoli-Turbhe-Kalamboli route.
You will face heavy traffic between 700-830 pm, so you will reach Thane region in peak hour traffic time (Vapi 400 pm, Thane 700 pm)
Completely agreed with HVK sir!
Airoli route is preferable any time.
If possible avoid entering thane in peak hours.
I'll be starting for Pune-Vapi by 15:00 today. Will update in case of any worst case scenarios.
Old 24th May 2013, 11:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Completely agreed with HVK sir!
Airoli route is preferable any time.
If possible avoid entering thane in peak hours.
I'll be starting for Pune-Vapi by 15:00 today. Will update in case of any worst case scenarios.
Thanks HVK sir & Zalaps for the info .

** Zalap ** we will cross each other on way somewhere betweem thane to panvel
will meet if possible .

Most Viewed