Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:24   #16
BHPian

Route 1 is a better option anyday;

Do note passing through village roads especially when cattles are on road is very irritating and will cost you lot of time apart from the damage (dents) they cause to the car, many a times kids on the roadside shoo them to run; I have faced this situation many a time during my drive to between Shavalanga - Shimoga. Also during day time drives be careful of kids throwing stones on the car especially between Tiptur and Arsikere.
Old 4th November 2008, 23:43   #17
BHPian

Finished the trip. I have followed the route 2. Roads is not as bad as expected. Update you a details travelogue soon.
Old 12th November 2008, 17:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sowmya, could you update the road condition thro route 2? Some of us are driving to Thirthahalli this weekend, we might consider the route you've taken if you can tell us how good/bad it is and also the time required to traverse the stretch.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hari.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Hey Sowmya, could you update the road condition thro route 2? Some of us are driving to Thirthahalli this weekend, we might consider the route you've taken if you can tell us how good/bad it is and also the time required to traverse the stretch.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hari.
The Road is a mixture of Good and Bad. Some stretch the Road is real nice with out a single pothole. And some of the place there is avg potholes. There is no Big Potholes where you need to travel in 2nd Gear @ a speed off 10-20KM/h. I will upload some pic tomorrow.
I am not sure about the time as we have stopped many places including lunch on the Way...
Old 13th November 2008, 08:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
The Road is a mixture of Good and Bad. Some stretch the Road is real nice with out a single pothole. And some of the place there is avg potholes. There is no Big Potholes where you need to travel in 2nd Gear @ a speed off 10-20KM/h. I will upload some pic tomorrow.
I am not sure about the time as we have stopped many places including lunch on the Way...
Along with pics, request you please tell the exact turnoff from NH206 to this road. Any landmarks etc?

Thanks
Abhi
Old 13th November 2008, 09:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

I suggest drive via Terikere - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Gaajanur (Tunga dam) - Teerthahalli. Avoid Lakkavalli route but you can try it once while coming back If you want to explore

Tarikere - Lakkavalli = bad road with huge potholes.
Roads around tunga dam are also not good.
Shimoga - Teerthahalli is also not good road, it has lot of rouch patches.

If you are lucky enough roads by this week end might be repaired.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Along with pics, request you please tell the exact turnoff from NH206 to this road. Any landmarks etc?

Abhi, I know the turnoff, it is just after the IOCL pump outside of Tarikere town, there is a board indicating 'River Tern Lodge' a JLR property.
Old 14th November 2008, 01:45   #23
BHPian

My trip was a slightly different one. I didnt went till thirthahalli. After muthinakoppa i took right. After a few KM you need to cross a
small bridge and you will get Tirthahalli - Shimoga road. There I went a place called Manegadde. Stayed in Inchara Home stay. Nice place to stay pure
homely env. Then again I came back from there to Chikkamagalur... Didnt touch Thirthahalli at all.
Note able to update all Pic. some more are @
Picasa Web Albums - Arindam - Chikmagalur
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-chikmagalur-018.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-chikmagalur-202.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-chikmagalur-037.jpg  

Old 14th November 2008, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Saw this a little too late

I am from Thirthahalli

Bangalore-Shimoga-Thirthahalli is the fastest road.

Takes 5.5 hours to get to thirthahalli. Including the bad roads.

Total distance would be 330 KMS.

And the place where you mention you stayed is Mandgadde which is exactly midway between Shimoga-Thirthahalli.
It is a bird-sanctuary on the river tunga. 50 bucks for a boat would let you go around a coupe of islands in the middle of the river where you will find hundreds of birds flocking.
Old 14th November 2008, 11:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
My trip was a slightly different one. I didnt went till thirthahalli. After muthinakoppa i took right. After a few KM you need to cross a
small bridge and you will get Tirthahalli - Shimoga road.
Typo here? When going from Bangalore, should it be a LEFT turn after Tarikere at Muthinakoppa to go to Mandgadde?
Old 14th November 2008, 11:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Did a another trip to Shimoga.
Between Birur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi, It's just mess. Sometimes you'll not find any road at all, Thank god thay have statered filling the potholes , But for how long ths'll fill these ?? the road just gets deteriorating
Old 14th November 2008, 11:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Did a another trip to Shimoga.
Between Birur - Tarikere - Bhadravathi, It's just mess. Sometimes you'll not find any road at all, Thank god thay have statered filling the potholes , But for how long ths'll fill these ?? the road just gets deteriorating
This has been the state of the road for the past so many years now. I thought with a CM being a native of shikaripura I thought roads would improve.
Old 14th November 2008, 11:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Typo here? When going from Bangalore, should it be a LEFT turn after Tarikere at Muthinakoppa to go to Mandgadde?
After Tarikere its left. You will find a RIVER TURN Board. If you continue you will reach Muthinakoppa. @ Muthinakoppa you need to take right to reach Mandgadde. You will also get a small Bridge here which is connecting to Thirthahalli-Shimoga Highway.
If you continue the straight @Muthinakoppa you will reach NRpura-Chikkamagalur.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
This has been the state of the road for the past so many years now. I thought with a CM being a native of shikaripura I thought roads would improve.
Near Tarikere Its real Horrible. No road at all for 2-3 KM. Only Stone is lying on the path.
Our CM does not travel in Middle Segment Car they Fly or Use High Segment Cars. They use our money to have luxary...
Old 14th November 2008, 13:45   #30
BHPian

Last month when I came back from Shimoga; I was following Eshwarappa he was in a Lancer.

But you are right they may be flying as there is a helipad in Shimoga.

Most Viewed