Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 17:08   #46
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries

guys do i need to touch Shimoga, because in the google maps i can see a route from Badravathi by-pass towards thirthahalli.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
guys do i need to touch Shimoga, because in the google maps i can see a route from Badravathi by-pass towards thirthahalli.
You have to touch Shimoga. The road from Bhadravati to Thirthalli is an interior road. There may not be any signboards and even if there are, they will be only in Kannada. Since it is an interior road, I'm not very optimistic about the road condition. Maybe if you are driving an SUV, you can try out this road.

Better go to Shimoga and take the Shimoga bypass to Thirthalli. The roads are beautiful.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:53   #48
BHPian

Guys, what will be the weather like in Thirthahalli by the 3rd week of June?
Old 6th June 2012, 09:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post
Guys, what will be the weather like in Thirthahalli by the 3rd week of June?
Just confirmed from a close friend who lives in Mandagadde and he says that it hasn't yet started raining. However samurai confirmed that it's been raining in Udupi. So lets say by the 3rd week of June , if the rain gods smile upon thirthahalli then it should be lush green all around.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 09:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Bananki home stay Thirthahalli on July 7th. I do not plan any site seeing. Only aim is to relax in the homestay enjoying the rain. How long does it take to reach this place from Bangalore? How are the roads esp the one leading to the home stay?

Thanks.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:46   #51
BHPian

It has been raining all over the place this weekend. (16th and 17th June). So the monsoons have entered the area.

The water level has not yet increased much. But the place has become green.

I am not sure about the roads leading to Banaki homestay, but the roads leading upto Thirthahalli are in great condition. It should take about 6 hours to reach Thirthahalli without any stops.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 20:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I am planning a trip to Bananki home stay Thirthahalli on July 7th. I do not plan any site seeing. Only aim is to relax in the homestay enjoying the rain. How long does it take to reach this place from Bangalore? How are the roads esp the one leading to the home stay?

Thanks.
I stayed in Bananki last July, just to enjoy the rains (went to Kavaledurga, Kuppalli etc.). It rained almost all the time we were there and the hosts are great (thanks are due to @Fauji for introducing this place to many BHPians).

The roads were butter smooth from Tirthahalli. This pic is taken at a place where you need to take a left turn to the homestay (and travel 200-300mtrs for their gate) from the Tirthahall-Koppa road.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-1511.jpg  

prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 00:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
Check out Kolavara Heritage (about 17 kms from Thirthahalli) in case you are looking for other options near Thirthalli
Kolavara Heritage Homestay

We truly loved the place. The people at the homestay were very warm and welcoming. In case you plan to stay there, you can ask Nishchal (who runs the place) about the White Safari and he will remember me immediately

I went to the homestay last weekend (on 17th July) and it is accessible by any car.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 22:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
This past weekend I went to Thirthahalli.

While going took NH206: Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Birur - Tarikere - Bhadravati - Shimoga - Thirthahalli

Return journey: Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Bhadravati - Channagiri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Bangalore

Roads are excellent except for the Bhadravati - Channagiri stretch which is really bad. There is another route connecting Shimoga and Channagiri directly which is supposedly in better shape. Both google maps and MapMyIndia mislead me to go via Bhadravati for Shimoga - Chitradurga.

The homestay owner advised me against taking the Chitradurga route as there is some work going on on NH4 Chitradurga - Bangalore portion, but I took it anyway. His advise was to go via NH206 till Arsikere, then take the route to Channarayapattana which is on the Mangalore - Bangalore highway (NH75 ???). In retrospect, I feel the Chitradurga route is better than the NH206 route inspite of the few diversions and being a bit longer, however you have to watch out for the heavy lorry traffic and some monkeys who seem to lose their fear of death on these spectacular tolled highways.

We did not encounter much rain in Thirthahalli, only in and around Agumbe mild showers were encountered intermittently. However it is all green there now, must have rained before I came. I must admit, this region is one of the most beautiful places I have traveled to and especially to drive around in a car.

I stayed in Thirthahalli town itself in "HiPoint Homestay". [I found the homestay from this website where you can checkout other accommodation as well]

HiPoint Home Stay website

My reasons for choosing this homestay:
1. I travel with a kid and therefore prefer to stay near civilization. Mobile and wireless internet dongle signal is very strong. Infact I could carry on an official meeting over webex.
2. This person charges for the accommodation whereas others charge per person for accommodation and food. The flip side is you have to arrange your own food but there are restaurants nearby and he also offered me to use his gas stove for warming milk for the kid etc. though we did not need to use it. We stayed in the portion which is a suite accommodation on the first floor. This has a *big* bedroom, attached bathroom and a king sized living room where you can virtually play football if you like. Has sleeping arrangement for five persons but can easily accommodate ten people, IMHO. There is a Tata sky TV in the living room with all English news, Hindi soap and cartoon channels to keep everybody happy. Also, I could park my car inside his premises at night. The owner and his family stay on the ground floor. Charges - Rs.1500 for the above and 24 hours checkout. Note - these charges were for two adults and a five year old kid. There may be different rates for larger groups.

An added advantage is that this guy is the owner of the HP petrol pump on the Koppa road. I was worried about adulterated fuel in a small town like Thirthahalli, but this person came across as well educated, sober, thoughtful and extremely polite, so did not hesitate to fill from his pump. And my car did not complain.

Some pics below:
1. The homestay and the owner (Mr. Gautam):

2. A picture of Kundadri hill.

3. On top of Kundadri Hill. We went up that hill to visit the Jain Temple. Mind you, the road is very narrow and definitely not for the faint hearted. I doubt I will attempt it a second time. However the tar was fresh and well laid out and full marks to the car.

4. At Kuvempu Kavishaila
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_0584.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_0477.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_0453.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_0487.jpg  

sourav21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 09:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all your inputs. I will be driving to Thirthahalli this saturday. Planning to start at 5:00 AM from Kundalahalli, Bangalore. Please suggest places to have breakfast. On my trip to ChickMagalur almost 3 months back, could not find decent restaurants on the way. Finally, had breakfast at "Pai restuarant". Don't want to visit that place again.

P.S - I will be staying at Bananki Homestay.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Bananki Homestay on Saturday (June 30th). Started from Bangalore (Kundalahalli) at 5:40 AM and stopped for breakfast at Kamat Hotel Tiptur at 8:15 AM. Reached Bananki Homestay at 12:10 PM.
Total distance 370 KMs. Total time 6 hours 30 mins. Driving time 6 hours.

Left Bananki homestay at 10:40 AM yesterday and reached home at 5:25 PM.

Thoroughly enjoyed the drive. NH 206 and NH 13 (from Shimoga to Bananki) is in excellent condition. On the way back, saw an interceptor around 20 kms before Tumkur. Luckily I was trailing 2 cars. Otherwise, I was cruising between 100 and 120 KM/h.

Here are some pics of the home stay.

Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_3935.jpg
Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries-img_3929.jpg

Last edited by pramodpk : 2nd July 2012 at 10:08. Reason: Upload Photos
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:25   #57
Senior - BHPian

Visiting Kolavara this Thursday, Friday. Please confirm if the below route sounds fine..

Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere >Tirthalli... Google maps show this as the shortest route. Will be travelling with a small kid.. so driving would be in lesuire and good roads preferred..
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Visiting Kolavara this Thursday, Friday. Please confirm if the below route sounds fine..

Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere >Tirthalli... Google maps show this as the shortest route. Will be travelling with a small kid.. so driving would be in lesuire and good roads preferred..
Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere > Bhadravathi > Shimoga > Thirthalli is the best route
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Bangalore > Tumkur > Arsikere > Tiptur > Kadur > Birur > Tarikere > Bhadravathi > Shimoga > Thirthalli is the best route
how are the road conditions? anyone travelled through this one recently? What are the options for breakfast and quick snacks enroute??
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
how are the road conditions? anyone travelled through this one recently? What are the options for breakfast and quick snacks enroute??
Road conditions are good from what I heard from a friend who traveled this route last week. For breakfast, I'd suggest Preethi Canteen in Birur. Great food, but not much in terms of ambiance. Meenakshi Bhavan in Shimoga, again great dosas but not much in terms of ambiance.

There is a Kamat Upachar just before Dobbaspet. But, that will be closer to Bangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed