Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 12:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong - Guwahati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Hello all,

Below is the travel plan I made for my trip to Meghalaya in Feb.

Could anyone cross check it and suggest any changes if any?

Also, please suggest any good places to stay at Shillong (City), Kaziranga & Guwahati. (hostels/home stays/hotels preferred)

09-FEB – Arrive @ Guwahati Airport
Drive to Dawki.
Stay @ Dawki.

10-FEB – Dawki – Krang Shuri water falls
Phe phe falls, Lalong park – Back to Dawki.

11-FEB – Dawki to Shnongpdeng
To Mawlynnong
Drive to Chirapunjee
Stay at Chirapunjee (ECO PARK)

12-FEB- Cherrapunjee to Double decker bridge (DDB) (early morning)
Trek to Rainbow waterfalls, & back to DDB
Stay at DDB Village (Nongriat)

13-FEB- Nongriat to Nohkalikai Fall view point
To Arwah cave
To Elephant cave/Air force museum.
Reach Shillong.
Stay at Shillong.

14-FEB – Shillong city stroll & Umiam lake
Drive to Kaziranga National park.
Stay at Kaziranga

15-FEB – Kaziranga Safari
Stay at Kaziranga

16-FEB – Kaziranga to Guwahati
Stay at Guwahati

17-FEB – Drive to Guwahati Airport.

Thank you
Stay at Iora at Kaziranga/Borgos. Worth the experience.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 01:02   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Actually the worst part will be the kolkata to siliguri thingy.
Thanks a lot for your response.

Did couple of research on the Kolkata - Siliguri road and find couple of options

1. Krishnanagar - Farakka

2. Burdwan - Farakka

3. Dumka - Bhagalpur

It would be really helpful, if you can suggest the best available road now? Also, I have heard about the special traffic jam at Farakka bridge. Is it still bad? I am planning to cross the bridge round 10 am in the morning. How long can I expect to be at the traffic jam?
Old 21st January 2019, 08:41   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishroy View Post
Thanks a lot for your response.

Did couple of research on the Kolkata - Siliguri road and find couple of options

1. Krishnanagar - Farakka

2. Burdwan - Farakka

3. Dumka - Bhagalpur

It would be really helpful, if you can suggest the best available road now? Also, I have heard about the special traffic jam at Farakka bridge. Is it still bad? I am planning to cross the bridge round 10 am in the morning. How long can I expect to be at the traffic jam?
I got stuck at the worst jam at bhagalpur couple years ago, moved about a 100 meters in 3 hrs.
Last year took the farakka route, farakka barrage was crossed at around 3 pm, no big jam. But we were stuck in the typical truck traffic at kaliachak for an hour.
I guess whatever route you take, allow a couple of hours for jams, that way you wont get fidgety while stuck.
Kolkata BHPians will be able to guide you better about this road, and many of them travel at night to avoid the traffic.
pyrodrive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:28   #79
BHPian

Contrary to popular belief, I would recommend the krishnanagar farraka route, shorter, and faster, take the santipur bypass from ranaghat for a yet faster and shorter route. And also do not forget to take the botol bari route instead of dalkhola.
sumitkalindi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron91 View Post
Hello all,

Below is the travel plan I made for my trip to Meghalaya in Feb.

Could anyone cross check it and suggest any changes if any?

Also, please suggest any good places to stay at Shillong (City), Kaziranga & Guwahati. (hostels/home stays/hotels preferred)

09-FEB – Arrive @ Guwahati Airport
Drive to Dawki.
Stay @ Dawki.

Thank you
I think this is cutting it too fine. As Arrival in Guwahati, getting your car, driving to Shillong (4 to 5 hours) and sometimes more in the evening, then to Dawki (3 to 4 hours as the roads are pretty bad) would be a bit much. I suggest stay in Shillong and leave early next day to Dawki.

Rest of your plan is pretty much doable.
Old 25th January 2019, 18:46   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Contrary to popular belief, I would recommend the krishnanagar farraka route, shorter, and faster, take the santipur bypass from ranaghat for a yet faster and shorter route. And also do not forget to take the botol bari route instead of dalkhola.
I have taken this route; unfortunately before Haringhata there was a pathetic jam, which continued till Ranaghat. Hence I drove through SH13 and took right turn from Memari to SH15. But Farakka bridge was in a messed up state as there was only one working lane for both up and down. However, it took 14:30 hours for me to reach Siliguri from Kolkata

Thanks for all help!
Old 4th February 2019, 12:27   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I got stuck at the worst jam at bhagalpur couple years ago, moved about a 100 meters in 3 hrs.
Last year took the farakka route, farakka barrage was crossed at around 3 pm, no big jam. But we were stuck in the typical truck traffic at kaliachak for an hour.
I guess whatever route you take, allow a couple of hours for jams, that way you wont get fidgety while stuck.
Kolkata BHPians will be able to guide you better about this road, and many of them travel at night to avoid the traffic.
While coming back, I took Bhagalpur-Dumka route, which was a worse decision. Till Purnea, it was four-lane road. From Purnea, till Bihar border, it was two-lane road, where one lane was completely occupied by trucks, which are not moving for days (I happen to pass a Vijayawada truck, when the truck driver got interested to see a TS car in Bihar and spoke to me. I came to know from him that he is waiting for two days in that queue). However, it took almost 5:30 hours to cross 150 KM. Road condition in Jharkhand is much better, though it was a two-lane road.
Old 11th February 2019, 15:52   #83

Hello TBhpians,
I am planning a road trip to Assam/Meghalaya in February. I am thinking of hiring Zoomcar/Revv from Guwahati. Please go through my Itinerary which I have prepared by reading all past suggestions. Suggestions are welcomed.
Also please suggest the correct order of the places for each day. Restaurant suggestions are also welcome.
Which is the best place for boating in dawki : Main Dawki or Shnongpdeng Point?

Day 1(Saturday 16th Feb) Arrival at Guwahati airport.
Proceed to Shillong. Have lunch at Jiva Restaurant. Stop at Umiam lake/bara pani. Proceed to Don Bosco museum by 4 pm. Evening visit police Bazar. Dinner at CAFE SHILLONG. Overnight at Shillong.

Day 2 (Sunday 17th Feb) Start early. Visit Krang Suri waterfall. Day trip to Dawki. Mawlynong village -Riwai.
Dylan's/ML05 /SOULS cafe . All saints cathedral. EVENING AT BARA MARKET. Overnight at shillong.

Day 3 (Monday 18th Feb) Start early. Nongriat trek- double decker bridge .Lunch at orange roots restaurant. Stay in Cherrapunji.

Day 4 (Tuesday 19th Feb) Day trip to Cherrapunji (Lewbah, Mawsmai cave, Mawkdok Dympep Valley view, Seven sister and Nohkalikai falls, Ramakrishna mission).
feel free to add more places as per localite's recommendation. Dinner at any one of the cafes ***/Dylan's/ML05/ SOULS cafe. Overnight at Shillong.

Day 5 (Wednesday 20th Feb) Early morning visit to Shillong peak and elephant falls,Lietlum
Ward’s lake, Golf course.
Proceed to Kaziranga
overnight at Kaziranga.

Day 6 (Thursday 21st Feb) Early morning elephant safari. Then Jeep Safari. Hathikuli tea estate.
Overnight at Kaziranga.

Day 7 (Friday 22nd Feb) MORNING JEEP SAFARI FOR TiGER SPOTTING.
Proceed to Guwahati.
Navagraha temple, Kamakhya, Umananda, Bashishta temples. Overnight at Guwahati.

Day 8 (Saturday 23rd Feb) Pobitora early morning wild life sanctuary. Assam state museum, Kalakshetra.
Fancy bazar and cruise (at 4:00 PM), balaji temple. Overnight at Guwahati

Day 9 (Sunday 24th Feb)
Flight to Delhi.
Old 12th February 2019, 11:37   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Hello TBhpians,
I am planning a road trip to Assam/Meghalaya in February. I am thinking of hiring Zoomcar/Revv from Guwahati. Please go through my Itinerary which I have prepared by reading all past suggestions. Suggestions are welcomed.
Also please suggest the correct order of the places for each day. Restaurant suggestions are also welcome.
Which is the best place for boating in dawki : Main Dawki or Shnongpdeng Point?
Hello Crowley!

Great choice of place for a road trip. It's only a matter of time before mankind spoils the breathtaking beauty of these hills.

Shnongpdeng would be the best place for boating. The water in this river is crystal clear. If you do plan on visiting shnongpdeng, the Bangladesh border is very close by and you can drive there, park your vehicle where others have parked and walk to Bangladeshi food vendors and try out some 'jhalmuri' if you wish to 😋 and yes they accept 'rupiya'.

Regarding your daily itinerary,

Day 1: Seems good. Cafe Shillong has amazing Indo-Chinese food!

Day 2: You'll have to start very early if you wish to do this in a day. And if you decide to go further down to shnongpdeng from dawki, it's gonna take up a lot of your time.

Day 3: Be prepared for the 3000+ steps trek down the village, you'll know how challenging it is on the way down itself. But it's all worth it.

Day 4: Seems good. You could do your lunch at either Polo Orchid Resort or at Jiva (this one offering non vegetarian food aswell unlike the one on the way to Shillong). Another restaurant you can consider is Cafe Cherrapunjee (I guess they have changed the name of the restaurant now) close to Mawkdok bridge.

Day 5: Seems good. Laitlum is breathtaking!

Day 6,7: Pray to God you spot a tiger, I visited Kaziranga around this season and could not spot one. The shy animals are deep inside the jungle around this season but rainy season is a different story.

Day 8: Not sure of these places except Fancy Bazaar and Balaji Temple which is beautiful in its own right.

Best of luck and have a safe journey. Enjoy your trip!
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 17:15   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Hello Crowley!

Great choice of place for a road trip. It's only a matter of time before mankind spoils the breathtaking beauty of these hills.

Shnongpdeng would be the best place for boating. The water in this river is crystal clear. If you do plan on visiting shnongpdeng, the Bangladesh border is very close by and you can drive there, park your vehicle where others have parked and walk to Bangladeshi food vendors and try out some 'jhalmuri' if you wish to 😋 and yes they accept 'rupiya'.
Thank you so much for such a elaborated answer.
what are your thoughts on following points:
Day 2: Shillong-Laitlum-Krang Suri- Shnongpdeng-Dawki-Riwai-Mawlynnong-Shillong
Is it possible in a single day?

Also, if possible, please suggest me what to search in Google maps for Shnongpdeng Boating Point.
Crowley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 01:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for such a elaborated answer.
what are your thoughts on following points:
Day 2: Shillong-Laitlum-Krang Suri- Shnongpdeng-Dawki-Riwai-Mawlynnong-Shillong
Is it possible in a single day?

Also, if possible, please suggest me what to search in Google maps for Shnongpdeng Boating Point.
This will become too hectic for a day. In fact a little over ambitious. I'd suggest you to keep Laitlum for another day as per your earlier plan.

What you can consider is;

Opt 1: Shillong-Mawlynong(via laitlyngkot)-Shnongpdeng-Krang Suri-Jowai-Shillong (This route is slightly longer but the 60 odd km stretch between Jowai and Shillong is a nice road to drive on).

Opt 2: Shillong-Jowai-Krang Suri-Shnongpdeng-Mawlynong-Shillong

Opt 3: Shillong-Mawlynong-Shnonpdeng-Krang Suri-Shillong(Return back via Dawki)

When you're on your way down to Shnongpdeng, you'll reach Dawki bridge which is guarded by the BSF Jawans, before and after the bridge you might encounter a few people asking you for boating, do not entertain them as this is not the best spot for boating.

You'll have to drive further inside after the bridge to the actual boating and camping site (You can search for Darrang or Lymba on Gmaps to find the exact Shnongpdeng boating and camping site).
Attached Thumbnails
Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong - Guwahati : Route Queries-doc1.jpg  

Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 17:33   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
What you can consider is;

Opt 2: Shillong-Jowai-Krang Suri-Shnongpdeng-Mawlynong-Shillong
I am thinking of taking Option 2.
Is there any sightseeing places in Jowai?

Also I wanted to know if the Parking is available in the mentioned places in my itinerary.
Also, Please advice regarding Dos and Don'ts while in NE.
Crowley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of taking Option 2.
Is there any sightseeing places in Jowai?
There are a few more water falls in and around Jowai but I think Krang Suri would make a better visit than others.

Quote:
Also I wanted to know if the Parking is available in the mentioned places in my itinerary.
Parking is an issue with the small roads and tight spaces in Shillong but nothing alarming. At most you'll have to park at a distance and walk to the places you need to be. But be careful about where you park as the traffic cops are active in clamping down cars. (This shouldn't be a problem at sightseeing locations as there is always ample space for tourist cars to park)

Quote:
Also, Please advice regarding Dos and Don'ts while in NE.
I'm attaching a PDF of security tips for tourists by the Meghalaya Govt.
Note: Expect to get 2G network at best while sightseeing, offline maps recommended.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MTDC-Sesurity-tips_for-tourists.pdf (137.9 KB, 1037 views)
Old 19th April 2019, 10:55   #89
BHPian

Dear All,

Need help with one upcoming trip plan to Kaziranga -

Laying out base route plan, need all the expert help and opinion as this is the first time we would be doing a North East trip.

Request to keep in mind this time its on two bikes- Street Triple and Interceptor. Hence all the opinions on whether there are routes we cannot take or make it, road conditions would really help us plan -

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Bubhaneshwar - Kolkatta
Kolkatta - Bardhaman - Farakka - Malda - Siliguri
Siliguri - Darjeeling - Gangtok - (want to complete the Silk Route) - Kalimpong - Phuentsholing
Phuentsholing - Paro - Thimpu - Haracha - Sarpang - Guwahati
Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong
Shillong - Agra - Gurugram - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore

This is not a day wise plan. I am only laying out what google is showing me at this point.

Await all the inputs on places to see, what to exclude what to include. We have 20-25 days for the entire trip.
Old 19th April 2019, 12:02   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Dear All,

Need help with one upcoming trip plan to Kaziranga -

Laying out base route plan, need all the expert help and opinion as this is the first time we would be doing a North East trip.

Request to keep in mind this time its on two bikes- Street Triple and Interceptor. Hence all the opinions on whether there are routes we cannot take or make it, road conditions would really help us plan -

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Bubhaneshwar - Kolkatta
Kolkatta - Bardhaman - Farakka - Malda - Siliguri
Siliguri - Darjeeling - Gangtok - (want to complete the Silk Route) - Kalimpong - Phuentsholing
Phuentsholing - Paro - Thimpu - Haracha - Sarpang - Guwahati
Guwahati - Kaziranga - Shillong
Shillong - Agra - Gurugram - Nagpur - Hyderabad - Bangalore

This is not a day wise plan. I am only laying out what google is showing me at this point.

Await all the inputs on places to see, what to exclude what to include. We have 20-25 days for the entire trip.
After doing some work came up with the following -

1 - Bangalore – Vijayawada – 666 KM
2 - Vijayawada – Bhubaneshwar – 783 KM
3 - Bhubaneshwar – Kolkata – 442 KM
4 - Kolkata – Siliguri – 558 KM – 14 hrs
5 - Siliguri – Darjeeling – 64 KM – 3 hrs
6 - Darjeeling – Gangtok – 98 KM – 3.5 hrs
7 - Gangtok – Kalimpong (Silk Route) -Pedong – 178 KM – 7 hrs
8 - Pedong – Phuetsholing (Bhutan) – 173 KM – 5.5 hrs
9 - Phuetsholing (Bhutan) – Paro – 143 KM – 4 hrs
10 -11 - Paro – Thimpu – 51 KM – 1.5 hrs
12 - Thimpu – Guwahati – 474 KM – 11 hrs
13 -14 - Guwahati - Kaziranga – 193 KM – 4 hrs
15 - Kaziranga – Ziro – 315 KM – 9 hrs
16 - Ziro – Shillong – 509 KM – 12 hrs
17 - Shillong – Siliguri – 566 KM – 11.5 hrs
18 – 19 – Siliguri – Gurugram – 1463 KM – 25 hrs (will be split into 3 days covering Taj Mahal)
20 - Gurugram – Jhansi – 444 KM - 8 hrs
21 – 22 - Jhansi – Pench – 532 KM – 9.5 hrs
23 – 24 - Pench – Tadoba – 242 km – 5 hrs
25 - Tadoba – Hyderabad – 450 KM – 8.5 hrs
26 - Hyderabad – Bangalore – 550 KM – 8 hrs
27 – Buffer Day
28 – Buffer Day

Most Viewed