Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 09:55   #91
adc
Senior - BHPian

Manali-Leh Route Profile

The profile in graphic form, also shift all the discussion regaridng leh 2009, the route, and the schedules to this thread, to have all info at one thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...nterested.html
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2008, 11:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The profile in graphic form, also shift all the discussion regaridng leh 2009, the route, and the schedules to this thread, to have all info at one thread.
That's a nice one adc!

How about asking the mods to merge the two threads? Will already cross the better part of a dozen pages!
Old 15th June 2015, 14:09   #93
BHPian

Re: Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?

People have been ranting about the Civic's low ground clearance, here and beyond, but interestingly Civic has an above average clearance for an Indian Sedan. Most Sedans in India have a clearance between 155mm (Sonata, Accord), and 175mm (Altis).
Even the Gypsy has a GC of 175mm. So, "Ground Clearance," per se isn't the Civic's problems, the problem perhaps lies in its suspension or its wheelabse-to-GC ratio perhaps.

TBHP Mod Anshuman took his 2010 Laura to Ladakh, and reported facing no serious troubles or damage. By that logic, any car with the Laura's GC and wheelbase-to-GC ratio, and a similar suspension should coast the kucha & pukka roads of the Himalayas.

Interestingly, the 2009-13 Laura had a GC of 164mm, or about 4% less than the Civic. But yes, the Civic had a longer wheelbase (2700mm) than that of the Laura (2578mm).

So, in order to get the same wheelbase-to-GC ratio as the Laura, the Civic must have a GC of 172mm.
Raising the GC by 2mm (and some more, to add underbody production like that of the Laura's) doesn't seem like too much of a task.

In fact, just changing the tyres (not even wheels) one size up, from 195/65 R15 to 205/65 R15 would add 6.5mm to the GC, enough to add underbody protection (3mm Steel) and still have the remaining clearance match up to the Laura's WB-to-GC ratio.

With these stats in consideration, I guess Civic CAN be taken to the mighty Himalayas to the valleys of Kashmir and the deserts of Ladakh!

If I'm wrong on the above explanation or stats, please do correct me. Honestly speaking, even I find these stats (picked off Carwale.com) hard to digest.
Have had a Civic (170mm GC) and an SX4 VXi (170MM GC, according to Carwale) both in my house, and the Civic DID seem FAR more low-slung than the SX4.

Last edited by nikhilj : 15th June 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Addition of fact
nikhilj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 14:16   #94
BHPian

The ground clearance in itself isn't a problem for the civic. However, when loaded, the ground clearance changes drastically. The car is too softly sprung. On the other hand, Anshuman's Laura's suspension is much stiffer, and doesn't reduce the ground clearance despite being loaded. Additionally, cars wit softer suspensions tend to get impacted more by larger potholes and speed breakers too.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:18   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post

If I'm wrong on the above explanation or stats, please do correct me. Honestly speaking, even I find these stats (picked off Carwale.com) hard to digest.
Have had a Civic (170mm GC) and an SX4 VXi (170MM GC, according to Carwale) both in my house, and the Civic DID seem FAR more low-slung than the SX4.
Its not about stats. Its about vehicle design. The sump of the civic is extremely vunerable, and unless you go for metal protection plates, there is a good chance of getting stranded.
So do take your civic, but only after you have a complete protection plate for underbody.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 16:27   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its not about stats. Its about vehicle design. The sump of the civic is extremely vunerable, and unless you go for metal protection plates, there is a good chance of getting stranded.
So do take your civic, but only after you have a complete protection plate for underbody.
Yes, underbody plates are kind of a necessity, IMHO, for such driving.
But, my comment, was primarily over Civic's "apparently low" ground clearance.
Old 16th June 2015, 22:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

There is already a Civic which went to Ladakh, through Zojila pass. Also yet another expected this year

Why I did not take my Civvy was since my routes were too adventurous for the Civic, and not a plane jane ride to get a click at KLa .
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:17   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
There is already a Civic which went to Ladakh, through Zojila pass. Also yet another expected this year

Why I did not take my Civvy was since my routes were too adventurous for the Civic, and not a plane jane ride to get a click at KLa .
Well a Civic and a City did get to Pangong and Khardung La this year too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3985735
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Well a Civic and a City did get to Pangong and Khardung La this year too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3985735

I was mentioning about this Civic Coolkurt
Old 22nd August 2016, 21:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was mentioning about this Civic Coolkurt
This is too much torture for the Civic. There's no engine guard, it's got low GC so this is equivalent to punishing the car. Not advisable. Although I'd love to do this just for the sake of trying it. But then I love my Civic too much :P
Old 22nd August 2016, 22:10   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

It's difficult but not even close to impossible to warrant such a thread

Exhibit A and B

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_0306.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_0373.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_0389.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_0424.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_0594.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_7518.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_7638.jpg

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?-img_7640.jpg
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Way back in 2007/2008 with pagal nullah in full fury taking a Civic would have been history, nowadays with tarmac almost everywhere the thread itself is irrelevant, like many many things in history

Probably we can close this thread also
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 13:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Way back in 2007/2008 with pagal nullah in full fury taking a Civic would have been history, nowadays with tarmac almost everywhere the thread itself is irrelevant, like many many things in history

Probably we can close this thread also
That depends. You can't be over adventurous with the Civic. Will have to stick to standard fare. For eg, you'll have to stick to visiting Leh - Nubra on one day. Get back to Leh. Then do Leh - Pangong and so on.

Routes like Nubra to Pangong directly will be tough. Going through Agham village, dealing with the shyok river on routes where the small roads have been washed off will be impossible. The loose sand, gravel will make the already low GC even dangerously lower.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:55   #104
BHPian

Not sure if it's still relevant but I took civic to shimla with 4 people and their luggage on board back in 2021

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks