Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can a Civic make it to the Himalayas?

Often realities comes out of Dreams, and dreams from Passion. And with Passion mostly all reasonings comes to a stop!

Can a Civic go all the way upto the Himalayas, beating all the rough terrains? Can we have a Civic at the highest motorable road in India?

Technically what all can be done as a precaution? What can never happen? What can be the work arounds?

Let us have a debate, reasoning, idea, etc.

Hope the discussion would yield quite a lot of inputs for all.

Last edited by laluks : 2nd November 2008 at 13:23.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is Leh-Ladakh that you are talking about. There are n number of threads on this detailing every nook & corner. Run a search..

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Often realities comes out of Dreams, and dreams from Passion. And with Passion mostly all reasonings comes to a stop!

Can a Civic go all the way upto the Himalayas, beating all the rough terrains? Can we have a Civic at the highest motorable road in India?

Technically what all can be done as a precaution? What can never happen? What can be the work arounds?

Let us have a debate, reasoning, idea, etc.

Hope the discussion would yield quite a lot of inputs for all.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont think so
i heard the roads somewhere are pretty bad and with the suspension and GC like that of the civic , it seems a tough call.
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:57   #4
BHPian

Well with such low ground clearence it seems to be difficult,unless you modify the car or have a group of auto engg's with you..........

Last edited by team suzuki : 2nd November 2008 at 21:01.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:10   #5
BHPian

Really depends on the condition of the roads. I am not sure what the GC of a civic is but it looks quite low. you might end up with some expensive repairs. teh SX4 has 19mm Gc but we got stuck twice at tanflangla and bottomed out quite a few times. Lucily we did not suffer any underbody damage but it was close. Also if you are unlucky enough to get really poor roads (like the one leading to Rohtangla when we were there) then the Civic will probably suffer damage.

I would suggest hiring a self drive car/MUV/SUV and doing this trip? definately expensive but if there are people to share the cost then its worth it.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The floor board would be missing on the return journey.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:12   #7
BHPian

If you have the swift then probably it is better suited for this journey. we saw at least 3 swifts doing this trip.

Also the long wheelbase of the civic will make things worse.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2008 at 03:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hiya, Lots of answers. Unfortunately all tends to say no!!

Any mods would work for the Civic? Lets try have some ideas - some practical, some just feel goods.

Swift is my bet though!!
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Any mods would work for the Civic? Lets try have some ideas - some practical, some just feel goods.
Get a lift kit for your civic and you are good to go .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The floor board would be missing on the return journey.
When will yaa stop ?
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rjstyles69;1037611]Get a lift kit for your civic and you are good to go .
quote]

Honda!! Are you listening.
Poor civic, it cant dream to be at the highest motorable road in India.

How about trying out the active suspension setups?
How about some engine guard at the bottom like SUVs?
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

No, no and a third time no. Manali to Leh is gonna kill your car at it's current condition. But I don't know how is the alternate route via Srinagar and Kargil via Zozila pass. That route may not be that bad or on the other hand may be worse. Also I've seen a Baleno in Leh(don't how it has gone there), so if that can make it probably your Civic also can.
BTW, the efforts for making the Leh Manali road bigger and better is going on and may be after an year or so any car can make it to Leh but by then probably the charm will be gone.
And I guess Skid plates will make your ground clearance lesser only.
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

I cannot understand the purpose of this thread. If the question is to theoritically know whether civic can make it to those roads, the answer is yes. But in all practicality if one loves his car he should not try these roads in a civic. Maybe nothing major will happen, but why torture a car that is not meant for this.
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Take your swift. PM a thanks to me after you come back.
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I dont think so
i heard the roads somewhere are pretty bad and with the suspension and GC like that of the civic , it seems a tough call.
I think that the suspension ( double wishbone at rear! Good handling and body control over twisty road and CAN take somebeating ) can take a beating till some extent, but the Ground Clearence is low and will be real issue before the suspension starts acting up.

Civic has a long wheelbase and a low GC. The worst combination for a car in those conditions.
The final Answer is NO.
Its OK till some scratching or so, but even with underbody protection, if at all some part is damaged or you have a breakdown, getting the car back on the road will be tough. Best Avoided. If you have anyother car with reasonable GC, go with that, but avoid Civic.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd November 2008 at 00:33.
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:37   #15
abk
BHPian

If you get 3 other (strong) men and all of you are ready to lift up the car using your hands at times, you can make it to the summit without much underbody damage! Well, but you can't feasibly do it for long stretches of bad roads all too frequently in the rarefied oxygen

I did it a few times on different roads (including within the delhi city!) and before steep speed breakers to save my old Honda City from severe underbody damages a few times. On hindsight I think it was wise

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks