Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 17:00   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Avi bhai ,itna durr kyu jaane ka hai(switzerland) ,go to snow world na @ lower tank bund..lots of snow there...
Woh fake snow dekh dekh kar pak gaya hoon yaar. Need to see the real one
Old 12th December 2008, 12:51   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

TSK ( Since your a HP Expert) and other guys from Delhi, can someone highlight some must-see places in the Shimla/Kufri Circuit?

I am planning to be there for 4-5 nights so is there any other place close-by that we can cover in this circuit which is worth going in this season? Never been to Shimla and some people are constantly advicing its too small and you can cover it in one day, nothing much to see, blah blah...

In the same breath, info on good eating joints/some special drink that is a must to experience would also be nice.

I got some requests to bring back some apple-based wine and a HP brand Whisky ( forgot the name) which is supposed to be good. Any idea?

Any other recommendations are most welcome. thanks in advance!

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2008 at 12:57.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:55   #78
Team-BHP Support

If you have 5 nights in shimla, I presume you have 4 full days.
I would suggest you see shimla, Jhaku temple, Mall road etc., on Day 1. Keep it local.
Next day visit Kufri Fagu, and head to Narkanda. Stay there couple of days, and then come back.
You can also go to chail, but its bit out of way.

If you have never been to shimla before skip narkanda, and visit Kufri etc., and local places in shimla, it will keep you occupied.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:09   #79
BHPian

Sorry for not posting any updates. We are planning to spend 2 days in Shimla, 2-3 days in Manali and remaining 3-4 days in Dalhousie-Khajjiar-Chamba. Planning to reach Shimla on 22nd by Himalayan Queen. Tickets are booked but still pondering about accomodation. Accomodation seems to be costly in Shimla and Manali. Will cottages be too cold at this time?

By the way, any updates on the weather? Are there chances of snow before Christmas?
Old 12th December 2008, 13:11   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you have 5 nights in shimla, I presume you have 4 full days.
I would suggest you see shimla, Jhaku temple, Mall road etc., on Day 1. Keep it local.
Next day visit Kufri Fagu, and head to Narkanda. Stay there couple of days, and then come back.

If you have never been to shimla before skip narkanda, and visit Kufri etc., and local places in shimla, it will keep you occupied.
Wow, was that a super fast response. Thanks, i will stick to what you recommended.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would very strongly recommend Chail via Kufri on the return journey provided it's not totally clogged by snow. The experience of the drive is simply superb - it's like a private road almost.
Old 12th December 2008, 13:49   #82
Team-BHP Support

The road surface via Chail is horrendous in many parts since its not a national highway. Though the views are amazing, the ride is a pain.
Moreover there are very few places to eat etc., on the way.

Watashi, J&K saw snow lately(higher reaches) but temperatures are around 5 degrees above normal. Unless it snows before Xmas, there is a good chance of no leftover snow even in Narkanda etc.,
Right now, for next five days there is no western disturbance coming, things may change hopefully after 20th.

When will you be in Khajjar.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2008 at 13:50.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:03   #83
BHPian

@tsk1979, we are planning to reach Dalhousie by 28th. Since we are on foot anyway, we wanted to do some trekking like Dalhousie-Khajjiar-Chamba or Manimahesh trek if possible. But we will be equally happy to spend 4 days in Khajjiar counting sheep!

Actually our plan is flexible after covering Shimla and Manali. We wanted to see a bit of snow and do some ice skating so we might change the plan a bit based on weather.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though the views are amazing, the ride is a pain.
Moreover there are very few places to eat etc., on the way.
tsk, actually roads are not that bad, and for food, how about giving a try to chail palace's restaurant. I like there food and try some himachali dish, like sepu wadi etc etc.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:41   #85
Team-BHP Support

Have you booked in advance. Khajjar is a tourist hot spot during that time.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, sorry to jump in but its Khajjiar LOL, not Khajjar.

And Watashi, four days at Khajjiar, you may actually start some serious knitting instead of just watching sheep
Old 12th December 2008, 14:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

BTW those going to khajiar, there is Pizza shop between Dalhousie and Khajiar, not excellent but worth trying, specially at that location and if you are too adventurous try there custom ice creams. I do not remember the name of the shop, will search in pics
Old 12th December 2008, 14:58   #88
BHPian

@tsk1979, I have not booked yet since the plan is not finalized. I checked and accomodation seems to be available in Khajjiar. I was thinking we could stay in the forest rest house if we decide to go trekking. There was an article in last month's Outlook Traveller and it seems to be interesting.

In the worst case we are planning to camp out in our sleeping bags.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:19   #89
Senior - BHPian

Avi, if you've already done the Manali circuit, then the Shimla one may not be that interesting. At least from my point of view.
I've done both circuits in Jan, 2002 and found the Manali one better in terms of natural beauty and lesser crowds. Simla was just like any other hill station--say Darjeeling or Gangtok. Unforutnately it did not snow when we were there, and our visit to Kufri was on hardened snow. Those guys rip you off for riding those ponies--it cost me Rs 250 per head then.
Narkanda had some good sights, but nothing compared to Manali, Sonal Valley, etc.
In both Simla and Manali, we got hotels on the spot at reasonable rates. I remember paying around 800 per day for a double room with a good view in Hotel Gulmarg, that is just below the Mall road.
Anyways, have fun!
Old 12th December 2008, 15:25   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
In the worst case we are planning to camp out in our sleeping bags.
in that weather.

Buddy, i have been in Manali during peak season even in proper insulated room you can feel the chill seeping through your bones.

Thanks Venu for your inputs. But, been to Manali twice and never to Shimla. So i thought let me try this out this time around. Let' see how it works out

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2008 at 15:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks