Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 13:43   #1
BHPian

The "Airport Transfer" Thread

Hello Guys,

so i am coming to india in like 3 - 4 weeks. i m flying by virgin atlantic which will land in bombay at 11.40 in the morning at terminal 2B. from there i have to go to terminal 1B to take a jet airways flight to hyderabad which leaves at 3.30PM.

this is the first time i am going through mumbai. i want to know the best, safest and quickest way to get from international to domestic terminal.

there is bus between two terminals should i take it ??

or take a cab ?. i am afraid because i have been reading some horrific stories about people being scammed at the airport by cabbies and immigration officers.

can you guys tell me how to get through this safely.

and one more thing does jet airways have a lounge at the domestic airport for business class passengers ?

thanks in advance .
Old 10th November 2008, 13:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are flying business class from Bom to HYD, Jet will arrange your transport from the International to the Domestic. Speak to them.
If you are flying business class on Virgin from New York, they too will happily drop you to the domestic later.

Jet does indeed have a lounge for Business class passengers.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) what worry, boss!!

Else cabbies can take you just fine as well too. Or take radio/prepaid cabs at the PROPER counters only.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Complete imigration and customs. After customs on the left is the jet airways check in. You will need to scan your baggage complete check in. Then they will put you on a bus which travels within the apron perimeter. You can't miss it
Old 11th November 2008, 13:57   #5

Now there is Inter-terminal coach service for transfers between International and Domestic terminal. Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) has more details about the same.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:42   #6
BHPian

Once you touch down at the International airport you can board any of the inter terminal buses which connect the Int terminal with the domestic terminal. These buses normally travel within the airport premises and will take you to the domestic terminal without any hassles. Even economy class passengers can avail this facility.

Moreover you will have airlines staffs to help you out with the same if you face any issues.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

on a similar note, what is the safest mode of travel from the mumbai airport to kalyan. this is for my parents who will return in december to india.

should they wait till morning before taking a cab? they are not familiar with mumbai or its culture.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 11th November 2008 at 19:59.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:29   #8
BHPian

thanks for the advice guys, solved my biggest concern. thanks
Old 11th November 2008, 22:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
on a similar note, what is the safest mode of travel from the mumbai airport to kalyan. this is for my parents who will return in december to india.

should they wait till morning before taking a cab? they are not familiar with mumbai or its culture.

you can get prepaid taxicabs taking you to Kalyan - Just ask at the counter-- if u are not so lucky with the cab, you can get other private cabs( meeru) who can do it
Old 28th September 2011, 11:46   #10
BHPian

DelhiQuery : Domestic Airport to Old Delhi Railway Staion

I am new to Delhi Roads and Traffic condition . I will be arriving on Sunday at Delhi Domestic Airport at 6pm and I have to catch a train at Old Delhi Railway Station at 9.30pm. Can somebody give an update on :

1. Travel time between Airport and Old Delhi station.
2. Preferable mode of transport : Prepaid , Metro??, etc

Thanks in advance..
Old 28th September 2011, 12:15   #11
BHPian

Re: DelhiQuery : Domestic Airport to Old Delhi Railway Staion

Vikrant,

Here is a reply to your queries:

1. Travel time varies between 45 minutes to 2 hours depending upon the mode of transport and the traffic situation at the roads. Since its a Sunday, there will not be much traffic on the roads.

2. Fastest mode of travel is Metro. Which terminal you will be arriving at? There is a shuttle bus service between terminals provided by DIAL after every 10 minutes. Please visit this link for complete details:

Inter Terminal Shuttle Transfer Service, New Delhi Airport Transportation from International to Domestic Airport - Indira Gandhi International Delhi Airport

My Advice

I would advise you to take a metro train from Airport to New Delhi Railway Station (last on airport line). From New Delhi Rly Stn, you have got two choices:
  1. Change the metro i.e. after Airport Line, take another metro (Yellow Line) towards Jahangirpuri and get down at Chandani Chowk. From "New Delhi", there is "Chawari Bazar" metro station and then "Chandani Chowk" metro station. Take the exit gate towards Old Delhi Rly Stn.
  2. Reach New Delhi metro station via Airport Express and come out of the New Delhi metro station and take a "Prepaid auto / Taxi" for the Old Delhi Rly Stn.
Option 1 is better if you are not having too much of luggage to carry alone. Please take care of your luggage and pockets in both the options.

All the best! and Welcome to Delhi!!

Cheers!
Irish
Old 28th September 2011, 12:44   #12
BHPian

Hi Vikrant

The most economical, quickest and reliable mode of travel from Delhi Domestic Airport to Old Delhi Railway Station is the Metro.

If you are arriving at Terminal T3, you can just walk out of the Terminal and catch the Airport Express Line to New Delhi Railway Stn. Once there you have the option to catch another Metro to Old Delhi Station or take a cab.

If you are arriving at Terminal T1, catch a Shuttle service to T3 and subsequently follow the above.

Either of the two modes, will take you abt 1hr, end to end, that is if you are travelling SOLELY using the Metro, which is taking into account waiting times for trains and actual travel times.

You can also take a Taxi, but would seriously advise you against it. Even though it is a Sunday, traffic is unpredictable, if not the driver, and no matter what you WILL get a lot of traffic as you pull into Old Delhi Railway Station.

Take the Taxi option ONLY if you have un-manageable amounts of luggage and/or are travelling with Senior citizens, as travelling on the metro will involve walking a bit which can get uncomfortable.

Otherwise just stick to the Metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Vikrant,

Here is a reply to your queries:

1. Travel time varies between 45 minutes to 2 hours depending upon the mode of transport and the traffic situation at the roads. Since its a Sunday, there will not be much traffic on the roads.

IMHO 45mins is a VERY optimistic outlook for travel between the Domestic Airport to the Old Delhi Railway Stn by road, Sunday or no Sunday. Don't count on it.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vikrant,
2. Fastest mode of travel is Metro. Which terminal you will be arriving at? There is a shuttle bus service between terminals provided by DIAL after every 10 minutes. Please visit this link for complete details:
I would advise you to take a metro train from Airport to New Delhi Railway Station (last on airport line). From New Delhi Rly Stn, you have got two choices:
+1 to it. The Delhi Metro train starts from the T3 terminal every 15 minutes and takes about 20 minutes to reach New Delhi Railway Station. It costs Rs.100/- for one way journey.

Changing over to the Yellow line is not so difficult especially in the morning time. You should be able to reach Chandni Chowk station in about 10 minutes from the time you get off the Airport Express.

Even in the worst case you would take no more than an hour to reach Old Delhi station from T3 terminal. If you are arriving at the old terminal you might add another 15 minutes to your overall time.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 13:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
IMHO 45mins is a VERY optimistic outlook for travel between the Domestic Airport to the Old Delhi Railway Stn by road, Sunday or no Sunday. Don't count on it.
Narain,

45 minutes is advised if one goes to Old Delhi Rly Stn from Airport via two metros. Since its a Sunday evening so there will be no evening office rush in the metro trains.

Airport Express takes 20 minutes from Airport to New Delhi. Another metro will take less than 5 minutes from New Delhi to Chandani Chowk metro station (just 1 station - Chawari bazar, in between).

Rest of the 20 minutes are for walking and waiting for the metro on the stations. I hope that 20 minutes are well enough for a person to change the metro trains with normal luggage.

Here is the 18 minutes quoted for Airport Express:

Source: Delhi Airport Metro Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 13:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Narain,

45 minutes is advised if one goes to Old Delhi Rly Stn from Airport via two metros. Since its a Sunday evening so there will be no evening office rush in the metro trains.
Agree Irish, as I said in my post, 45 mins by car is way too optimistic.

My bad, I guess I misinterpreted your post. Just thought to mention it explicitly.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks