Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 14:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Gudalur is a tri-road junction - roads to Mysore, Ooty, Sultan's Battery and Nilambur/Meppadi.
11 kms from Gudalur town, the road bifurcates to Nilambur and Meppadi/Vythiri. You can take either of them to go to Calicut.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

If you want to go to Vythri/Calicut, why do you need to go to Gudalur ? You might as well use the NH 212 from Gudlupet. Am I missing something here?

I guess it may be for folks coming from CBE/Conoor/Ooty who want to go towards Waynad.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul View Post
I'm planning to drive to Guruvayoor later this month. My onward journey will be through Kannur. However, the return journey would be through the above mentioned route.

Here are the details :

Bangalore - Mandya - Mysore - Gundlupet - Sultan Bathery - Mananthvady - Koothuparamba - Kannur

Kannur - Thalassery - Kozhikode - Kuttipuram - Ponnani - Chavakkad - Guruvayoor

Guruvayoor - Kunnamkulam - Pattambi - Pernithalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundlupet - Mysore - Mandya - Bangalore

Can someone update me on the status of the Kannur - Guruvayoor route ?

~Morgul
The Kuttipuram-Edappal-Changaramkulam-Perumpilavu-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur is a better option(a few kms less as well) Unless you have a reason to take the Kuttipuram to GVR via Ponani-Chvkd.

The Pattambi section was pretty bad last month and I dont think anything would have improved after the rains.You could opt for the NH47-NH7 option:GVR-Thrissur-Palakkad-CBE-Bhavani-Thoppur route,considering that you already are getting a taste of the ghat & forests sections during your onward drive into Kerala.

6am start from Blr would let you have a breakfast stop @ Bidadi.Kamat Lokaruchi @ Janpada Loka is a must stop.Authentic Karnataka cuisine what with the likes of south canara dishes like Kotte Kadubu,sihi idlis,pathrode
Old 8th October 2009, 14:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want to go to Vythri/Calicut, why do you need to go to Gudalur ? You might as well use the NH 212 from Gudlupet. Am I missing something here?

I guess it may be for folks coming from CBE/Conoor/Ooty who want to go towards Waynad.
Definitely, the Gundulpet-S Battery route is shorter for Calicut. What I meant is that there is an alternative route via Gudalur directly to Vythiri/Calicut. Lovely route via tea estates.
Old 8th October 2009, 18:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
Hi All,

gudalur -nilambur road - kalikavu - melattur - perinthalmanna -pattambi - kunnamkulam - guruvayur).
Guys,

Request one of you to let me know the road conditions for the stretch mentioned above.And the approx time required for the same

Cheers,
Varun
Old 26th October 2009, 18:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarunM View Post
Guys,

Request one of you to let me know the road conditions for the stretch mentioned above.And the approx time required for the same

Cheers,
Varun
Giridharl's and Renamo's post say that the stretch you mention is very good. Also Jammy70 used the other stretch through Wandoor. Looks like even that is fine. But as what Renamo mentions the route through Kalikavu seems to be the better one.

Let me know if this is a fair conclusion.

Even I plan to use this route while returning from Guruvayoor.

Last edited by ampere : 26th October 2009 at 18:48.
Old 26th October 2009, 22:15   #22
BHPian

The roads from Kunnamkulam to Guruvayur is very good. Pattambi to kunnamkulam is so so. I'm not sure about rest of the roads.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:14   #23
BHPian

Hi,

When I took the Gudalur - Nilambur road - Melattur - Guruvayur road in April this year, it was superb. There was some roadwork going on near Guruvayur (4 laning) and I am assuming it should have been complete by now.

The tea estates are awesome and the ghat curves amazing. I loved the drive. Planning the same route in the 1st week of December.

Souvik
Old 27th October 2009, 10:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

From Kannur try this routing-

Kannur - Telicherry - Mahe - Vadakgara - Koyilandi - Calicut -
Ramanattukara - University - Kottakkal - Valancheri - Edappal -
Kunnamkulam - Chavakkad - Guruvayoor. (about 247kms)

After kunnamkulam towards chavakkad (just about 5 km before chavakkad) you can see a left turn (you can see the sign board -Guruvayoor), and go further down straight, you are there. First you will reach a junction (right side you can see mammiyur mahedevan temple), there will be small direction board -west nada,east nada etc. You decide where you want to go and take deviation accordingly. The one road goes straight will take you to the West nada.

Incase you miss the left turn, go staight to chavakkad and turn left which
will take you to guruvayoor (you will be able to see sign board's all these places)

(RAmanattukara-University-kottakal roads are very good, also after Edappal and kunnamkulam roads are super- you can fly )

Thanks
Old 27th October 2009, 11:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - mysore - in bandhipur route do not take deviation to calicut road but drive straight , through gudalloor , you will cross a small part of tamilnadu , then you will reach Nadukanni hills , then vazikkadavu , perinthalmanna , pattabi - guruyayoor

This will be the easist way

When I was studying in Bangalore , I used to take this road on my bike.

Very adventerous.

But full shady route , country roads , I am not sure about the current road situation.

Very less traffic.

Minimum time required. to cover if the road is not bad.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Bangalore - mysore - in bandhipur route do not take deviation to calicut road but drive straight , through gudalloor , you will cross a small part of tamilnadu , then you will reach Nadukanni hills , then vazikkadavu , perinthalmanna , pattabi - guruyayoor

This will be the easist way

When I was studying in Bangalore , I used to take this road on my bike.

Very adventerous.

But full shady route , country roads , I am not sure about the current road situation.

Very less traffic.

Minimum time required. to cover if the road is not bad.
What do you mean "Very adventurous" I am looking for a safe road to Guruvayoor. In fact I plan to return to Bangalore through this route.

Hotels wise, yes one needs to fill at Gudlupet Coffee Day before venturing.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What do you mean "Very adventurous" I am looking for a safe road to Guruvayoor. In fact I plan to return to Bangalore through this route.

Hotels wise, yes one needs to fill at Gudlupet Coffee Day before venturing.
Avoid travelling at early mornings , late evening , through this route , elepats are a big challenge in this route.

Please do not miss the place which is there on my profile photo , it is the government operated guesthouse kind of bunglow.

There is a watch tower in the middile of the forest , dont miss the scene from that watch tower

The photo which is there in that watch tower is taken from that watch tower in the middle of the Jungle

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 27th October 2009 at 11:55.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:04   #28
Team-BHP Support

Thanks. I will look for it.

I was planning to have a morning darshan at Guruvayoor and then start. Which means if I start at about 9AM, I should be in Gudlupet by 12-1 max.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Avoid travelling at early mornings , late evening , through this route , elepats are a big challenge in this route.

Please do not miss the place which is there on my profile photo , it is the government operated guesthouse kind of bunglow.

There is a watch tower in the middile of the forest , dont miss the scene from that watch tower

The photo which is there in that watch tower is taken from that watch tower in the middle of the Jungle
Also as posted before, it was mentioned that its better to come via Kalikavu instead of Wandoor. Is this also a heavy Ghat section road?
Old 27th October 2009, 15:48   #30
BHPian

Just got back from Bangalore-Kannur-Guruvayoor-Bangalore.

If you are looking for a safe/smooth way to Guruwayoor, try this.

Bangalore - Hosur -Salem -Coimbatore - Trisshur - Guruvayoor.

I returned thru this way. Left Guruvayoor at 6 AM. Reached Bangalore at 4:30 PM. The roads are EXCELLENT <esp between Hosur-Coimbatore>. I was able to hit 140 on my Santro <never found good enuf roads to do that till date >

The roads in Kerala are..well...mediocre... but thats only a small section.

Let me know if you need any more info.

~Morgul
Morgul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks