Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Is any one interested in hiking??
Hiking/Wildlife will be interested. Time to reduce my tummy.

Any plans? let me know.
Old 28th November 2008, 14:58   #32
BHPian

Sure Raj, will let you know
Old 1st December 2008, 14:30   #33
BHPian

Hey mclaren,

Just something that I have been waiting for on TBHP. Around bangalore BRT, Bandipur and Madhumalai are the best options. Bandipur and Madhumalai should be avoided in Dec and early Jan due to the rush in traffic to Aiyappa. Devotees travel through these roads with blasting horns so elephants too are a rare sighting.
I usually go to BRT and stay at Jungle Lodges(I feel it's a Little expensive) but I have no contacts in karnataka to get booking in the forest guest house. During my stay at BRT I have managed to see both the big cats and almost all the mamals(including the mouse deer). Best time has already started, if you are a serious wildlife lover i would suggest avoid weekends and never visit wildlife destinations during school holidays.

Cheers,
Anshu
P.S: Here is a pic of the leopard we sighted this trip, sorry about the bad image quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Any TBHPians interested in wildlife?-leopard1.jpg  

Last edited by anshurao : 1st December 2008 at 14:34.
Old 1st December 2008, 14:41   #34
BHPian

Hi,

Even i am interested in wild life.

Already i have seen African Safari ( Masai Mara ) amazing and mind blowing.

Now i want to explore in india. I have seen only Nagarahole, Bandipur.

Yes friends, We can meet in jungles , a great change.
Old 1st December 2008, 17:40   #35
BHPian

Nice thread :)

Even I love wildlife and nature photography.
Have been to Kanha, Pench, Bandipur, Corbett, Bharatpur, Uttaranchal(for birding)
Old 1st December 2008, 17:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Around Sirsi - Ankola area if any one interested I can arrange lot of trekking/ hill climb. I personally did a lot in the past and looking forward to do more in near future.

I do plan at least 3 to 4 such events (trekking, hill climb, walking in thick forest) when I visit these places. I take locals with me always.

Please note finding wild life in these places is not possible as I have hardly seen anything there, but what I get there is thick forest, some superb scenary, excellant photo opportunity.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 1st December 2008 at 17:47.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:10   #37
SBR
BHPian

Rahul,

I will be interested too. Have been to Nagarhole, Bandipur, Masinagudi, Mudumalai, Kabini, Silent Valley, Thekkady, Wayanad, Bhadra, Someshwara.

Anytime, will be ready.
Old 1st December 2008, 18:47   #38
BHPian

Great Thread.

The last time I went to BR Hills, the manager there was telling me that sightings are way too less on the weekends. I was wondering how was that possible until i realised it was the crowd that comes on weekends scaring all animals.

Though its very tough for a lot of ppl, I guess any visit to a forest resort should be on a weekday , so the number of ppl in the vicinty is lesser compared to the crowd on a weekend.

Having said that, am game for any weekend. Lets make a plan soon. Infact spending 31st Dec in a forest would be awesome.
Old 6th June 2009, 04:17   #39
BHPian

So did this happen et all?
Old 11th June 2009, 14:44   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
So did this happen et all?
Nope, no one has the time I guess. Though quite a few people I know went ahead and did this trip all by themselves. Memo was even fortunate enough to spot a tiger and have an elephant charge at his truck. Must do this sometime real soon.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:17   #41
BHPian

i have been in love with forests and wildlife since i was 13 or so and have been such a regular visitor of some forests that i havestarted calling the tigers with their names given by the local forest staff. You know you are a jungle-geek when you start reminiscing about Katrina, Lakshmi, rupa and chaya: not girlfriends but tigressses from a certain forest!

But goin into a jungle with a large convoy of cars etc is baad idea. Even if it is a large group in a single car it can get noisy because of the whole group dynamics etc. My worst experience so far has been with a bunch of guys in a scorpio who followed my gypsy around in Corbett and at a watering hole where you are supposed to keep quiet, started squabbling on whose ipod should be connected to the music system!

The best way to experience wilidlife IMO is to stake out a waterhole or fireline known to be frequented by an animal of choice: you may to wait HOURS but the end results are worth it! now here is the problem: not many guys have the patience to sit quietly in a non-AC gypsy for 3/4 hours at a stretch without fidgeting around and generally being noisy! try doing these in even a moderate sized group!

overall i think meets should be planned in a place with hills with potential for offroading and a multitude of eating places close by. Rajmachi near Lonavala fits the bill!
Old 12th June 2009, 11:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Rajmachi near Lonavala fits the bill!
Hi,
i agree with all your points except rajmachi.

For jungle trip, Rajmachi do not fit. As you mentioned, it is ok for offroading and other stuff.
we have other options such as
1] Bhimashankar wildlife sanctuary---this place is well connected and just @100 km from pune. For accommodation, there is Blue Mormorn jungle resort. At this resort, i stayed couple of times. The sanctuary itself has much more to see in terms flora and fauna. Giant squealer, leopard, birds are common in this jungle.

2] Mayureshwar sanctuary---this is my nearest and dearest place. Just 40 km from Baramati on pune side. One day trip is more than sufficient. In the month of October, i regularly go there during world wildlife week. I had sponsored some prizes for kids who participate in the quiz organized by forest department during this week. In this sanctuary, chinkara, jackal/fox are present. I do this jungle safari in my alto.

3] Radhanagari/Dajipur bison sanctuary.---this bison sanctuary is almost 275km away from pune in kolhapur district. There is small mtdc resort named Bison jungle resort. This sanctuary truly gives you the experience of wilderness.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th June 2009 at 11:45.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:44   #43
BHPian

ashish: rajmachi wouldnt be purely a widlife trip: more like a offroading trip!

as i said before I am not sure a wildlife trip with a big group would be a good idea because (a) chances of sightings reduced dramatically and (b) have a heart on the animals also na?

Also Rajmachi is good option. Are you aware of the recent move by the Forest Department and some NGO's to get an area between Rajmachi-Sudhagad declared as a Tiger Reserve? I am not sayin much here, but there is good reason for that!

Last edited by COUGAR : 12th June 2009 at 11:54.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
as i said before I am not sure a wildlife trip with a big group would be a good idea because (a) chances of sightings reduced dramatically and (b) have a heart on the animals also na?
Yeah,
you are correct.
Wildlife trip should be with very small group of 4/5 pax maximum.
And i do not recommend any jungle meet as it is not good for health of forest.
Yes, i am aware that Sudhagad area is going to be sanctuary as that area is part of tiger corridor.

If any enthusiastic bhpian from pune is ready for such wild trip, we should do it with small group. That will be strictly a jungle trip and not regular meet with all stuff and hullagulla.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th June 2009 at 12:01.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Nope, no one has the time I guess. Though quite a few people I know went ahead and did this trip all by themselves. Memo was even fortunate enough to spot a tiger and have an elephant charge at his truck. Must do this sometime real soon.
If you planning for it im in!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks