Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 19:24   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Any TBHPians interested in wildlife?

There is something about wildlife that gives me a kick. Since I was a child I had always wanted to go out into the wild, escape to the forests in Africa and tour the jungles for a whole month. But not everyone is as lucky as the Yeti.

So I was looking for a solution to this madness closer to home. Which is the best wildlife resort to visit in India? Maybe even South India would be a better bet.

How many TBHPians here love wildlife? How many of us would turn up for a meet in the jungles? I would love to go out in open top jeeps or ride on elephant backs and get up and close to all forms of animals that live in the jungle.

I am planning to do this trip sometime in the first quarter of 2009. Is that a good time? Come on out with your suggestions guys. If the numbers turn out to be good, we can even have a meet in the jungle. What say?
Old 25th November 2008, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you referring to the two legged variety or the ones on four ?
Old 25th November 2008, 19:46   #3
BANNED

Tigers, lions, elephants, deers, birds, bisons, leopards et all. Anything that our jungles can offer us. Would prefer staying in a forest guest house, in the middle of nowhere. A place where you can't sleep at nights as the sounds give your creeps, the shining eyes of animals surrounding you everywhere.
Old 25th November 2008, 19:49   #4
BHPian

I am in, provided the trip is a "Nature compliant" one

I used to spend a lot of time in the forest region around Thekkady, Munnar and Silent Valley in Kerala during my student years. I would still love to do it. However its the flora that I am more interested in than fauna. So maybe they qualify as "one legged" variety?
Old 25th November 2008, 19:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great idea Mclaren 1885, a meet in the Jungles would be definately fun of a different kind. What i like the best about these Junges is the tranquility and the proximity to the nature you can get to.

The whole thought of getting up in the morning and listening to the chirping of the birds, the roar of the king or just croacking of a frog rather than getting up and listening to honks or the doodhwala shouting for milk gives me goose bumps.

Ive been to Jim Corbett 3 times (IMO the best we have), Ranthambore 2 times, Sariska once and keoladeo bird sanctuary once. And Every time Ive enjoyed more than the previous time. The experience never gets stale. Though have never spotted any tiger but that hasnt been the idea of visiting the jungles

Considering that lots of you guys are from the south I would like to suggest Bandhavgarh National Park or Kanha (both in MP)as a place to meet. They supposed to be one of the best National Parks we have in India.

First Quarter is indeed the best time as usually the parks shut down during monsoon time
Old 25th November 2008, 19:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

1st quarter i.e. Jan-Feb around is not a bad time to visit many of the forests in India. Infact it'll be quite nice and actually few like Kaziranga are open to tourist this season only. It'll be cool and the surrounding will be foggy and mystic.
Best wildlife resort down south, well Kabini River lodge got some award for being one of the best it seems. You can check that out. But I don't think they've full fledged Elephant safari there. For proper elphant Safaris you'll need to head to North.

About Tbhp meet in a forest, with all the engines/free flows growling/howling and scaring away the poor animals, we better not. Let those beasts live in peace he he.

EDIT:
Just seen your post about FRH's. There are quite a few FRH's where you can stay within Karnataka, like Bedaguli,Boodipadaga,BR Hills etc. Here is the link to all FRH's in Karnataka -> Karnataka Forest Department :: Forest Rest Houses

Last edited by kaushik_s : 25th November 2008 at 20:04.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:00   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
About Tbhp meet in a forest, with all the engines/free flows growling/howling and scaring away the poor animals, we better not. Let those beasts live in peace he he.
We aren't such cruel people, I can assure you that. We would never do anything to harm these animals. The only thing we would come armed with is a camera .

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan
I am in, provided the trip is a "Nature compliant" one
Can you be a bit more elaborate please?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th November 2008 at 20:03.
Old 25th November 2008, 20:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Can you be a bit more elaborate please?
I mean an eco-friendly trip. Car pooling, FE driving ... etc
Old 25th November 2008, 20:26   #9
BHPian

There is already a thread i had started on this Mclaren,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...es-thread.html

The best places to visit wildlife in Karnataka would be through Jungle Lodges. Munnar, Thekkady have a lot of birding spots and forests. Have a look at the trip reports in the websites i have posted in the above link. Must be able to find almost everything.

Last edited by redrage : 25th November 2008 at 20:29.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Tigers, lions, elephants, deers, birds, bisons, leopards et all.
don't forget the snakes, scorpions, wasps, bees, Chilopoda and other creatures that actually can make the trip a painful one.
Old 25th November 2008, 21:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I love wildlife .
Living in Dhikala , Jim Corbett (middle of the jungle) three times for a period of 3 days has made me crazy about wildlife stays
I love doing photography too and have spotted many creatures including leapords , tigers , lions , bears , jackals and much more.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:06   #12
BHPian

Great plan mclaren, provided we keep the polluting vehicles out.
I would love to join you all some time.

Most of my off roading has happened within the jungles in my gypsy.
Have driven from Bandipur to Nagarahole through the core zone of the park which is about 60-70km stretch. Had some memorable experiences like getting stuck in 2 feet deep slush/mud while Gaur bulls watched us closely, chased by elephants, bitten by mosquitos & ticks, hair raising moments with a leopard on bonnet, witness a fight between wild dogs and leopard, etc.

Best place to experience what you have mentioned would be KGudi camp run by Jungle Lodges or any anti-poaching camps (need special permission) in Bandipur.

abhinav.gupta88: Did you say lions at Dhikala (Jim Corbett) ?
Old 25th November 2008, 22:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love wildlife .
Living in Dhikala , Jim Corbett (middle of the jungle)
I'm a mountains and jungle person, I'd prefer the stillness of the forests and mountains anyday to the noise of the city.

I've stayed at Dhikala once and Ghairal once, Ghairal IMO is more into the thick forest with very basic facilities.

Rahul, a forest trip is a good idea provided only nature lovers and folks who can respect and obey the rules of the jungle are in. I'm not saying that we on the forum are not, but any deviation from the above and we would only be creating a nuisance.
Just my thoughts.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:32   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Rahul, a forest trip is a good idea provided only nature lovers and folks who can respect and obey the rules of the jungle are in. I'm not saying that we on the forum are not, but any deviation from the above and we would only be creating a nuisance.
Just my thoughts.
Hari, judging by the nature of this thread rest assured that only those interested in wildlife will be wanting to come to such a trip. Why would anyone who is not interested in wildlife waste their time & money on such a trip? I have been on a few trips with some members to places like Masingudi, Jodigere, Silent Valley etc and they have been nothing but exceptionally well behaved. Though most of these meets haven't really been about venturing into the jungles to encouter wildlife, I would like to change that trend with this one if it materializes.
Old 25th November 2008, 22:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would definitely like to be part of such a venture and look forward to a drive into the jungles. BTW which forest are we planning to go?

Most Viewed