Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 11:58   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you leave Alapuzha at 11 am, it is going to be one long journey through congested Kerala during day. You will be very lucky to reach Mangalore by evening, although if you are able to maintain fast speeds, you can. Ideally, you may reach only Kannur. See if you can Alapuzha early in the morning to ensure that you reach Mangalore/udupi.

No safety issues, safe to drive at day or night. Please bear in mind that there are speed checks on Kerala highways. And avoid driving in ghat roads at night (say, Munnar area, Thekkady-Alapuzha).
Makes sense.

Also even if reach Mangalore, next day would be even bigger journey 950+ km on NH-17, NH63 and NH4. That is an eye opener.

Planning to take the houseboat for day time. And return to Cochin. And stay in Cochin.

Next day start around 5 AM and reach Karnataka as early as possible. Can I get the distance and rough time estimates on that basis?
Old 30th November 2008, 23:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Very aggressive timings, because of possible delays:

Ooty to Coimbatore in 2.5 hours - I have done even in bike - but can be difficult at peak morning hours (when our friend will take that section).

Navigating Coimbatore city can take easily 30 minutes for someone who is not familiar with the city. Add that extra 30 minutes, even after assuming you reach the city in 2.5 hours from Ooty.

NH49 from Madurai to Rameswaram is in a very bad condition right now - lots of pot holes - and a friend took almost 5 hours 3-4 days ago.

And all this without any breaks for food, which can add at least 1-2 hours extra.
I have done Coimbatore to Madurai in less than 3 and 1/2 hrs. 4 to 4 hrs 15 min at 90-100km/h speeds. And ill suggest to take palladam, tharapuram, ottanchathiram, dindigul road. Traveled in this route a month back and is oh k.

And Madurai to Ramanthapuram is 109 kms. Will take 2 to 2hrs 15min max (Used to take 1hr 45min before when the roads were good). Again Ramanathapuram to Rameswaram is 56kms and will take an hr to reach as the road is very good.
Old 1st December 2008, 09:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
And Madurai to Ramanthapuram is 109 kms. Will take 2 to 2hrs 15min max (Used to take 1hr 45min before when the roads were good). Again Ramanathapuram to Rameswaram is 56kms and will take an hr to reach as the road is very good.
After the recent rains, the NH49 between Madurai and Rameswaram is in a very bad shape, and it took a friend almost 5 hours last week to drive this stretch. But yes, I agree, if the road is in good condition, it will take 3-4 hours only from Madurai to Rameswaram.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Next day start around 5 AM and reach Karnataka as early as possible. Can I get the distance and rough time estimates on that basis?
Please get the distance and rough time estimates which will help deciding what time to leave Cochin so that next day wont be too much of drive.

Quote:
After the recent rains, the NH49 between Madurai and Rameswaram is in a very bad shape, and it took a friend almost 5 hours last week to drive this stretch. But yes, I agree, if the road is in good condition, it will take 3-4 hours only from Madurai to Rameswaram.
I am booking Madurai Residency for 2 days. And travel to and fro Rameshwaram next day. BTW, if I reach early enough to Madurai planning to visit temple on the same day.

Any idea, what time the Madurai Meenakshi amman mandir closes for darshan?

What time to visit Rameshwaram mandir? ideally I heard morning visits. In the afternoon the temple is closed for darshan. Is that true?
Old 1st December 2008, 11:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea, what time the Madurai Meenakshi amman mandir closes for darshan?

What time to visit Rameshwaram mandir? ideally I heard morning visits. In the afternoon the temple is closed for darshan. Is that true?

I remember the Madurai temple closes at 12 noon and reopens after 3 pm. Evening, it closes around 9. But please bear in mind that on special days, timings can be different. For e.g. on one occasion, the temple did not open the whole day, only in the evening.

All TN temples are closed during the afternoon, I guess Rameswaram also has the same time schedule. So to be safe, don't schedule any temple visits during that time.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please get the distance and rough time estimates which will help deciding what time to leave Cochin so that next day wont be too much of drive.
Cochin-Paravur 20-Kodungallur 12-Chavakkad 48-Kunnamkulam 9-Edappal 23-Kuttipuram 10-Kottakal 27-Calicut 50-Mahe 64-Kannur 31-Payyanur 41-Kasargod 68-Mangalore 48, totalling 450 kms
Old 1st December 2008, 11:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

for railway ,the distance was less.Is there any other shortcuts to shorten the distance cochin-mangalore ?
Old 1st December 2008, 12:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
for railway ,the distance was less.Is there any other shortcuts to shorten the distance cochin-mangalore ?
The shortest and direct route is NH17 discussed above
Old 1st December 2008, 14:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Cochin-Paravur 20-Kodungallur 12-Chavakkad 48-Kunnamkulam 9-Edappal 23-Kuttipuram 10-Kottakal 27-Calicut 50-Mahe 64-Kannur 31-Payyanur 41-Kasargod 68-Mangalore 48, totalling 450 kms
Cochin-Calicut - 200 km. started early 5AM should be 4-5 hours.
Calicut - Kasargod - 200 km. Another 4-5 hours.
Kasargod to Mangalore another one hour.

Is that estimate right?
Old 1st December 2008, 15:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that is a reasonable time estimate. Add 1-2 hours for wayside halts for food, refuelling and other breaks.
Old 1st December 2008, 20:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Fill your fuel in Kerala.it is here ,it is cheapest considering other southern states.(Except UT's may be).sadharan petrol retails for Rs52.27 in my town ,while in TN Coimbatore it costs Rs55.15 and in Bangalore it is way too much.
Speed petrol in kerala costs Rs55.30 .
Old 1st December 2008, 22:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Fill your fuel in Kerala.it is here ,it is cheapest considering other southern states.(Except UT's may be).sadharan petrol retails for Rs52.27 in my town ,while in TN Coimbatore it costs Rs55.15 and in Bangalore it is way too much.
Speed petrol in kerala costs Rs55.30 .
Thanks, filling up the tank full, at the entry of the Kerala, and Leaving the Kerala (Kasargod??). And if needed once at before leaving Cochin. Just on safer side.

In Maharashtra - Indian Oil [ExtraPremium] cost 58.xx in Vashi Navi Mumbai.

This is the tentetive fuel top up ideas.

Minimum two-three occasions in Karnataka to fill up the petrol is needed.
Twice in TN (Near Coimbatore & Madurai)
Two - three times in Kerala.
And Four times in Maharashra. (Twice in Kolhapur)

It seems this is the travel of 3700+ km (+ 200km sight seeing).

cheers:
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:24   #43
BHPian

Alleppey - Anyone knows the houseboat being offered for day time in the lake and leave it in the evening? So that can move to Cochin by night.
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:07   #44
BHPian

Is it possible to get the houseboat by going there instead of booking from here? As I didnt find the internet resources to explain just the day round. All the web pages I visited had a package of 1 night minimum.

Help out please.
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

^I think so.you may be able to book one from Ernakulam(marine drive) area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks