Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:09   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Apologies if this is posted in this thread, but I feel to share. There's a new CCD that's opened in Sriperumbudur. This is located on the left side when travelling from Chennai towards Sriperumbudur, say about 2-3 Kms before the Rajiv Gandhi memorial.

Also I noticed quite a few stretches of black tarmac without the white paint (lane not being marked) after Pallikonda towards Krishnagiri. The speciality of this being that the tire noise is very less. Anyone observed this?
I have seen that. Its just that you dont even notice that there is a CCD! No boards, no indication, and bang there you see the place you are driving at 90-100!

They dont even indicate a Km or two back that one is approaching a CCD!
Old 3rd June 2010, 07:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They dont even indicate a Km or two back that one is approaching a CCD!
Well, they've indicated it, but on the other side

It was really scary what happened y'day when we were coming from Bangalore. At 16:00, while we were crossing Vellore, Mother mentioned she needs a coffee to avoid a headache. So the only option I could think of was Motel Highway near Thirumazhisai. Around 15:00 I was crossing Rajiv Gandhi memorial & bang I see the this CCD ad. So I assumed (my foolishness) that the CCD is on to my left; the board indicated 0.5 Km, 200 mts & so on. Like you rightly said
Quote:
bang there you see the place you are driving at 90-100!"
I only took a second to see through both the right RVM & IRVM & then flinged right. Thank God no one was there in the blind spot.

Anyway, there was no dispenser otherwise a typical good CCD. I really doubt if they'll stay in business for long. Ideally it should've been somewere near the Ford showroom just before Vellore.

Last edited by aargee : 3rd June 2010 at 07:31.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:50   #78
J.Ravi

I was in Chennai on 17/18 June 2010 and returned home at Bangalore today early morning at 2 am.

While going, we breakfasted at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, as usual. But, while coming back, as we started late, we had leisurely dinner at Arusuvai, Sunkuvarchatram bypass, located at 52 km from Chennai. The food was good. The toilets were clean. Plenty of car-parking place. Highly recommended.

Old 19th June 2010, 19:52   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I was in Chennai on 17/18 June 2010 and returned home at Bangalore today early morning at 2 am.

While going, we breakfasted at Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, as usual. But, while coming back, as we started late, we had leisurely dinner at Arusuvai, Sunkuvarchatram bypass, located at 52 km from Chennai. The food was good. The toilets were clean. Plenty of car-parking place. Highly recommended.
Is this the one next to Sriperambadur?
I did not know the correct location of the place.
Is it a veg place?
Old 19th June 2010, 21:09   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Where is the Saravana Bhavan, is it in the GQ or did you take a detour in Vellore.
Even I keep having same problem with the Bang-Chennai Road. Why cant some one suggest the McDonalds to open an Drive in Restaurant, I bet thier business would zoom at to a great extent.

BTW, while leaving Bangalore I normally visit the Kamaths in the Reliance Petrol Bunk near Hosur. It comes an the ideal time.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:19   #81
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is this the one next to Sriperambadur?
I did not know the correct location of the place.
Is it a veg place?
Arusuvai is located between Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram, at Sunkuvarchatram bypass on the left side of NH 4 from Chennai to Bangalore. It is 100% vegetarian restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Where is the Saravana Bhavan, is it in the GQ or did you take a detour in Vellore.
Hotel Saravana Bhavan is located about 2 km from NH 46. To reach this place, you have to go below Sattuvachari flyover towards Vellore.

Old 24th June 2010, 14:33   #82
MCR
BHPian

Bangalore-Kancheepuram

We will be travelling to Kancheepuram on this weekend. We wil start from Bangalore very early in the morning, say at 5.00AM. We will take the route Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Walajpet-Kancheepuram.

Can somebody please let me know good places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner ?

Also we plan to visit the Kamakshi Temple, is parking available near the temple? What are the temple timings? and which is the best place to purchase Kanchi silk saree / dhoti?

Thanks
Old 24th June 2010, 15:49   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
We will be travelling to Kancheepuram on this weekend. We wil start from Bangalore very early in the morning, say at 5.00AM. We will take the route Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Walajpet-Kancheepuram.

Can somebody please let me know good places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner ?

Also we plan to visit the Kamakshi Temple, is parking available near the temple? What are the temple timings? and which is the best place to purchase Kanchi silk saree / dhoti?

Thanks
You can have your breakfast at vellore or kanchipuram itself. Both the places have saravana bhavan.

Paid parking is available near kamakshi temple. I don't visit temples often, so not confirmed about timings. Prolly it will be from 6am to 11.30 am & 5 pm to 8 pm.

Ask for thiruvalluvar cooperative society in gandhi road & you could buy silk sarees there.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:07   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post
You can have your breakfast at vellore or kanchipuram itself. Both the places have saravana bhavan.

Paid parking is available near kamakshi temple. I don't visit temples often, so not confirmed about timings. Prolly it will be from 6am to 11.30 am & 5 pm to 8 pm.

Ask for thiruvalluvar cooperative society in gandhi road & you could buy silk sarees there.
Please note that A2B at Krishnagiri opens only at 6 and is not a 24X7 place.
CCDs are 24X7.
Old 24th June 2010, 17:11   #85
BHPian

I ate at another hotel called Shakti Saravana. Very good food. Exact location - about 45 min before touching Poonamalee.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you make a little delayed drive from Bangalore, you can reach Thoppur A2B/Ghar Dhaba for little early breakfast OR make a quick drive from Bangalore to reach Vellore to have breakfast on time, say around 8ish.

Quote:
Dinner??? Initially I assumed why you need lunch & dinner as the entire drive takes not more than 4-5 hours. But again, if you can let us know the itinerary it will be helpful to state the nearby good restaurants.

Quote:
Enter Kanchipuram, you've whole lot of shopping streets for silk sarees. Some of the shops where I've made my purchases were Ganapati silks & Hayagrivaas. One word of caution - take the ladies along with you & you'll get delayed return to Bangalore atleast by a day
Old 24th June 2010, 20:58   #87
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post

Thanks for the suggestion ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note that A2B at Krishnagiri opens only at 6 and is not a 24X7 place.
CCDs are 24X7.
Thanks for the info ampere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
I ate at another hotel called Shakti Saravana. Very good food. Exact location - about 45 min before touching Poonamalee.
Thanks Brix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, if you make a little delayed drive from Bangalore, you can reach Thoppur A2B/Ghar Dhaba for little early breakfast OR make a quick drive from Bangalore to reach Vellore to have breakfast on time, say around 8ish.

Dinner??? Initially I assumed why you need lunch & dinner as the entire drive takes not more than 4-5 hours. But again, if you can let us know the itinerary it will be helpful to state the nearby good restaurants.

Enter Kanchipuram, you've whole lot of shopping streets for silk sarees. Some of the shops where I've made my purchases were Ganapati silks & Hayagrivaas. One word of caution - take the ladies along with you & you'll get delayed return to Bangalore atleast by a day
Thanks aargee. We plan to start at 5.00AM and head to hosur Via BETL. We may reach Hosur by 6.00AM. We would like to have Breakfast at around 9.00AM. We Would like to reach Kancheepuram and have breakfast. However it would be good to know the options near the highway. Once in Kanchi, we would like to visit the temple and and by atleast 11.00AM, hit the shopping district. Have lunch in Kanchi and later start back to Bangalore by around 4.00PM and reach back Bangalore by 9.00PM.

We have Four ladies in our gang.

Last edited by MCR : 24th June 2010 at 21:00. Reason: Added sentence
Old 24th June 2010, 21:54   #88
Team-BHP Support

The only good Highway options then is the Saravana Bhavan at Vellore, but you need to bit away from the highway.

All the good ones fall at the 6Am time slot (before Krishnagir).
Old 24th June 2010, 22:03   #89
JLN
BHPian

Quote:

there is a place in palikonda on the left when coming from chennai (just after a new HP petrol bunk) - just before the pallikonda toll booth. pretty good. again clean, lots of parking. bang midway between chennai and bangalore on GQ - so for those looking for a midway stop, this is recommended.
Old 24th June 2010, 22:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Well in that case, you can reach Kanchipuram; try to reach as early as possible as I understand from my previous visits that all the temples close by 12:00 PM.

Options for breakfast for you will be...
1. Prepare & carry breakfast from home; its economical, hygenic & saves lot of time in travel
2. Buy breakfast at Ghar Dhaba (A2B) Krishnagiri & carry it along; this also will save you some time.
3. Reach Kanchipuram & dine in there. You may most likely reach Kanchipuram by 08:00 AM & you can probably have the breakfast even after first darshan.

Lunch no doubt at Kanchipuram. Dinner, you can probably plan at A2B at Thoppur or again opt to carry dinner from Saravana Bhavan Kanchipuram or another option is to reach Saravana Bhavan at Vellore. This is not too far away from the highway when you go towards Bangalore. May be you need to drive about 1 to 1.5 Kms from highway.

Try to visit the Ekambaranathar temple in addition, that has 3000 years old (now only the roots can be seen) mango tree.

Quote:
We have Four ladies in our gang
Consider one week off

Last edited by aargee : 24th June 2010 at 22:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks