Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 12:05   #1

Kolkata Mumbai Road Journey Route

Dear friends,

I plan to travel from Kolkata to Mumbai in a UNO. There are many routes possible, best being travelling along the Golden Quadrilateral & East-West/ North-South Corridor highways. But these could be longer routes. Passing through the shorter routes could be more fun, only if the roads are reasonably OK and safety/ security is not an issue (e.g. stretches of Chattisgarh).

I would be thankful if I could get detailed inputs on routes from Kolkata to Mumbai (including safety issues regarding travelling through the Chattisgarh area).

Regards,
Nitin Birari
Old 1st December 2008, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

NO safety issues in Kolkata-Kharagpur-Baharogara-Keonjhar-Sambalpur-Raipur-Nagpur-Amaravati-Akola-Khamgaon-Jalgaon-Dhulia-Nashik-Bombay, 2000 kms.

Road condition was bad in Orissa during rains, should be patched up by now. Unless you are a very fast driver, you should take 3 days.

NH5 route via Kharagpur, Baleswar-, Bhubaneswar, Vizag, Vijaywada, Hyderabad, Solapur and Pune is longer by 300 kms, and should take the same time. Road condition is much great, and even in Orissa, bad sections have been patched up.
Old 1st December 2008, 12:22   #3

Thank you so much for a quick reply. Will appreciate more inputs on naxalite problems in Chattisgarh/ MP, if any. Would also like to know of the tourist places on the way. From the point of view of scenic beauty, which will be a better route to follow?

Regards,
Nitin
Old 1st December 2008, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you ask me, NH6 is a boring route. Hardly anything en route, best places in Chattisgarh are a detour of 300 kms off the NH6. Similarly.250 kms north of Nagpur, you have Kanha WLS. Or 100 kms south of Jalgaon, you have Ajanta Caves.

If you take the NH5 route, you can detour and visit Konarak/Puri off Bhubaneswar.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you take the NH5 route, you can detour and visit Konarak/Puri off Bhubaneswar.
As Kumar sir told, Konark Surya mandir is a great place. The wheels are nice. I had a bad experience though when was there.

The camera was snatched by Mandir authority and while removing the film roll from it, they damaged the motor badly and that was the last time the RICOH camera got used. [Couldnt get repair]. So dont try to shoot in the Mandir area. You can shoot the Mandir externally though.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:38   #6
BHPian

Nitin, I just did the Durg - Kolkata stretch. Check _. HVK would be able to help you on the condition of roads after Durg.

Wim

Last edited by Wimwian : 2nd December 2008 at 22:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks