Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Kinnaur, but where to reach on day 1(of 4)
Kalpa is the ideal base camp 2 50.00%
Go all the way to Puh 1 25.00%
You are senile, go to Manali 1 25.00%
Some other suggestion.. elaborated in post 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kinnaur in winters... anybody done that

Timeframe Christmas.
Number of days 4 and a half
Aim, to reach Kinnaur

I was going through the maps, and also reading the HP websites, and it appears that NH22 is open all the way to Kaza in all seasons.
However Kaza is too far away for so few days, so I guess I will settle for Kinnaur.

Going through adc's travelogue and other sources on the net gives a lot of info.
For example, its easily doable to travel almost 200kms from Narkanda in 5 hours.

So the plan is, choose a place 5 hours away from Narkanda.

Plan is to reach Narkanda by noon, so we reach our base camp by 5pm.

Now where all can we go?
Recong Peo/Kalpa or towards sangla valley
This is the Kinnaur Headquarters, hence hotels are not a problem. Its about 17kms from the main road to Kalpa
Sangla is on the other side, and takes an hour. Most probably chitkul will be blocked, and Sangla is the only place we can be

Another option is not to take the turnoff, and head further to Puh or Pooh.
This is at an alt of 2500mts above sea level, and a reasonably big village after Spello.
This is where I am lost.
Will anything be open. Will there be water to drink?
How much time from the Kalpa turnoff to Puh(60kms).
If we reach Puh at 5pm on day 1, then we have day 2 full day to visit some monastries etc.,
Day 3 half can be utilized, after that we can come and stay at Jeori? or Maybe Sarahan
Day 4 can be the return journy. I don't mind reaching New delhi at 5am in the morning on day 5.

The plan is not to spend 4 days driving, rather drive a lot on day one, and then have 2 days of leisure to roam around in Kinnaur.

If anybody among you have witnessed Kinnaur in winters do tell.

If you feel I have gone senile in my 20s, and should go to manali, say so too.

We are 2 drivers, so a place 15 hours from Delhi is very much achievable.
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, since you want to chill for a couple of days out of that four, I would say that you should hit Manali.
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Manali is 15 hours from Delhi, same as Kalpa, hence the dilemma. For chilling out, Narkanda seems to be sanity personified
Old 3rd December 2008, 00:31   #4
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Timeframe Christmas.
Aim, to reach Kinnaur
May be like this

Day 1: Narkanda HPTDC/Hatu Peak
Day 2: Baghi/Khadrala/Sungri/Taklech or may be till Sarahan
Day 3: Kalpa/Roghi
Day 4: Sangla and if possible Chitkul
Day 4.5-5: Back to Delhi

Narkanda as base is best and then explore taking your own time as the distances after that are not that much. Narkanda-Baghi-Khadrala-Sungri-Taklech-Sarahan is the off beat road that you can explore. Heard that there are some very good FRH at each of those places [Baghi-Khadrala-Taklesh-Sungri] and of course you want can push forward to Sarahan. But would prefer to stay at one of the FRH at Taklech as heard that is one of best FRH in HP, so also the one at Khadrala and Sungri.

Could not cover this route [Narkanda-Baghi-Khadrala-Sungri-Taklech-Sarahan] as it was blocked by landslide in October.

Last edited by adc : 3rd December 2008 at 00:33.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would go on to Kaza if the road is open, assuming that there is no snow blockade in Kufri-Narkhanda. Kalpa is open throughout, but the beautiful Baspa Valley (Chitkul) will be dry now, bereft of greenery.

Manali - why should anyone think of Manali when you have the beautiful Kinnaur/Spiti Valleys?
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Timeframe Christmas.
Aim, to reach Kinnaur
Hey Tanveer, for me there's no doubt about this, go to Kinnaur! If you can stretch, reach Kalpa first day itself. Just check with HPTDC Kinner Kailash Hotel if the roads are open till Kalpa or not. You can also check with ISBT HP bus info helpline if the Delhi-Recong Peo bus is running or not. If not, explore the option of trekking in Sangla for coupla days. For this you can check with Banjara Camps in Sangla. If both fail, how about Narkanda and Sarahan. I think both are better than the perpetually crowded Manali.

PS: If I am not mistaken, you've been to Kalpa before sometime in Aug I guess?
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

I never been beyond 30kms ahead of Narkanda, and that was in 2006.
Right now I am told Kinnaur is pretty barren, and this is not really a very good time to visit.
So I am exploring some other options like Shoja, Parbati valley, Or Narkanda-Khanag side etc.,
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:10   #8
BHPian

My preference too is always Kinnaur valley to manali. The valley will be beautiful at this time- actually all seasons have their own charm in HP. I believe in traveling slow and seeing/ enjoying a palce more. May I suggest that you can travel to Sarahan in a day from Delhi and then to Kalpa. Sarahan has a beautiful Forest GH. You may have to check out accomodation in Kalpa though. Its full of foreigners at this time and might be difficult getting to stay. Ribba is also a quaint nice place. Has a very nice Forest GH and a good place to walk around. Traveling more than this think will be stretching I think. With two guys driving you can make it in a day/night to Delhi.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:16   #9
BHPian

I am going to watch this space.
I thought people may prefer Manali to Kinnaur. Very interesting.
Experience travelers, will you also suggest some places for stay. I am sure many will be benefited with this.
Old 16th December 2008, 00:58   #10
BHPian

Manali to Kinnaur is actually not possible in winter due to the closing down of the Rohtang Pass usually around early- Mid Dec.
And even if you were able to make it to Lahaul via Rohtang, Kunzum-La between Lahaul and spiti would be close anyway

Having said that, I am planning to heat to Kinnaur and possibly Spiti (if possible between Dec 25th and Jan 4th myself so any experienced and well-worn road travellers willing to share a tale are more than welcome
Old 16th December 2008, 06:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am going to watch this space with a lot of interest. How's the snowfall scene this year? If you do go you will get great rates at the hotels. lol. Regarding the road - this road being strategically very important from the defence point of view, it will never get blocked out for days on end. Army will intervene immediately. But I would carry dry food for at least a couple of days, in case you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. All the best.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:21   #12
BHPian

I think tsk1979 has already changed his plans! However weather seems to be warm and dry in HP for this time of the year. Infact it seems light vehicles are still plying between Manali-Rohtang-Keylong.

Source: The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Himachal Pradesh Edition
Old 16th December 2008, 10:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Think of Narkanda as a base and then look at exploring the Kotgarh / Rohru apple region. Lots of small roads and way off the tourist map. Excellent landscapes, people and hospitality.
You could look at a day trip to Mori/Harkidhun/Chakrata across the Tons river. Lots of forest and pwd guest house that are empty most of the time. Carry maggie noodles and soup sachets with a small gas and camp out at the available guest house.
Of course if area beyond Kaza is open that takes priority.
Old 16th December 2008, 13:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Road till Kaza will be open. However its going to be cold.
For example even Kalpa at 2800mts is -3.6 degree.
Once you enter spiti you may see night temps of -10.
When it snows its actually warmer, this dry cold wave is the one which leads to really chilly temperatures.

Apart from that Sangla/Chitkul and Kalpa will be barren. One snowfall and Kalpa road will be blocked, however the mail highway is low altitude till rain shadow region, so you will have roads till Kaza, barring a landslide
Old 17th December 2008, 15:36   #15
BHPian

I've done narkanda a number of times and i'd suggest you keep narkanda as ur base1. Relax the next day, visit the apple orfards around, get lunch packed and drive upto hatu peak. Spend some time there and reach back by day end.

I'd suggest you take the sangla valley route the next day, visit sarhan temple and reach chitkul. .Its a beautiful place and so is the last 40 kms before u reach there, but very cold but the views from there are fantastic. Spend the next day there. Lots to explore, and lovely small treks.

Optionally instead of sangla start early and by evening reach Nako. Its again a beautiful hamlet with houses made of stacked stones. Its totally out of this world kind of a place. Also, Just beyond is malling pass, the tricky section of the road to cross. Its a road that passes along a mountain of mud. You can cross it early in the morning as the snow isnt melting then, but by afternoon, because of the melting water the land slides and the road gets blocked over and over again. There is a chance of getting stuck there for 4-5 hours if u reach there by afternoon. So stay at nako. its a little up the hill, but the drive is worthwhile.

its a early morning 4-5 hours drive to tabo. U'll have the rest of the day to spend in Tabo. if u can strach ur time a little, there are 4 monastries around to visit the next day.

next day drive straight back to narkanda (i did it in 11 hours). Stay overnight and reach Noida by next evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks